PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever converted an Xray processor to develop 4x5s or 8x10s camera film

photobymike
22-Jun-2013, 17:28
I am just curious ... has anybody converted a Xray process machine for camera film. It seems like it would not be hard if you had a quality Kodak X-Omat or other .... The Kodak machines are so cheap on ebay, thought it might be do-able. Just control the transport speed...ok maybe its harder than i think ...

David R Munson
22-Jun-2013, 19:27
Never heard of it being done, but is certainly of interest to me!

Tin Can
22-Jun-2013, 20:05
I have been looking at the machines and chem, but still in the dark, bad joke...

We could all use one before they get deep sixed.

bob carnie
23-Jun-2013, 05:08
I have not seen a xray machine, but most likely the same as regular processors, but in daylight you may want to make sure they are light-tight for your panchromatic film.
I believe you can run a xray machine for its intended purpose in some safe light so the daylight operation may not be as complete as the machines I am running.

Roller transport works for processing film, just need to keep super clean, watch for roller tension and such. You should make sure you can get parts for the machine as running
one of these units is a commitment.

I am converting a Colenta paper processor right now to run large film from rolls to make digital separation negatives for alt printing.
I can work in red safe light with this film and am only going to let the film transport through three sets of rollers... dev, stop, first fix. then to larger trays for second fix.
this will cut down the time in the rollers and hopefully eliminate hair scratches.

Since my work will be in contact there will be no magnification of the film via enlarger which has the ability to show the scratches better.
It will work, just keep the scratch factor in mind and I highly recommend fixing , hypo clear and wash off the machine as I doubt you will get the best archival combination if you are trying
to go dry to dry.

Wayne
23-Jun-2013, 05:59
The problem is, how would you convert FP4 so it could be processed in 90 seconds? You'd have to do some pretty major conversions to the machine I'd think. Timers, motor speeds, etc. I don't know what temp they run at but that might need changing too.

bob carnie
23-Jun-2013, 06:25
Yes a very big consideration adjusting temp is no problem , so you may be thinking of a small jump in temp with slower motor speed.
A bunch of testing would be required.

I know you can slow the motors down, but you are right these machines were designed to pass the film through very fast.

I am going to do a double dev, on mine which means the first two tanks are developer, with the motors set to the slowest speed, this will allow for min three minutes probably longer, I am not concerned about the last two tanks which will be stop and fix, as I plan to really fix off machine in real trays.
I would probably run the chems in the mid 70's .

The problem is, how would you convert FP4 so it could be processed in 90 seconds? You'd have to do some pretty major conversions to the machine I'd think. Timers, motor speeds, etc. I don't know what temp they run at but that might need changing too.

jvo
25-Jun-2013, 20:28
i have a cibachrome processor that i've used for b&w paper... 3 troughs, dev/stop/fix. the rollers go slow enough so that they each spend 2 minutes in each solution. must use rc paper, seems fb isn't rigid enough once in developer. it's great fun with kids.

never tried film -:cool: the "soup" would have to be awfully juiced up! they do have special x-ray film developer for the processors - wonder what that's like?

Tin Can
25-Jun-2013, 20:37
I have a Durst RCP 20 machine for RA 4. I never used it and I have been trying to sell, trade or give it away, but since my last attempt here to do good failed miserably, I have put it into deep storage until I figure something out...

Maybe X-Ray processing.

Too many projects.

photobymike
26-Jun-2013, 05:40
hey moe ....I wonder if if that dust could do film? the dev cycle needs to be 6 minutes

Tin Can
26-Jun-2013, 08:21
I am sure it could be tortured into doing something, but the chem trays are small and it was made for quick processing color paper.

Way toomuch setup and cleaning for the way I use film.

I have no money in it and nearly no interest.

I only mention it, to see if anyone has tried.

hey moe ....I wonder if if that dust could do film? the dev cycle needs to be 6 minutes