PDA

View Full Version : Query re S.K.Technika Symmar f:5.6/150 f:12/265

Bogdan Karasek
22-Jun-2013, 17:14
Hello,

I want to try out this recently acquired lens on my upcoming two day trip to New Hampshire. What I want to know is which cell to remove in order to have FL 265mm?

Also, any comments on this particular lens and does "Technika" change anything to the quality.

Bogdan

"May the light be with you" ..... whatever that maybe.....

Dan Fromm
22-Jun-2013, 17:57
Unscrew the front cell.

Bogdan Karasek
22-Jun-2013, 18:40
Thanks Dan!

Mark Sampson
22-Jun-2013, 20:35
Linhof was supposed to have tested lenses from their various suppliers and those that passed got the 'Linhof' engraving, or 'Technika' if they were meant for those cameras. Whether the 'Linhof selected' lenses are any better than the lenses sold without the label has been an extremely debatable point for a long time. It's safe to bet that a Linhof-labelled lens will be good enough to use and no worse than a plain one, assuming that it wasn't abused in its earlier life. I've been happy with older Schneider lenses both with and without the Linhof markings, but be aware that the convertible Symmars date roughly from 1955-72 so yours has to be over 40 years old. Schneider said that the converted f.l. was meant mostly for portraiture, meaning unsharp corners, so stop it way down if you want sharp results @ 265mm. Add a yellow filter, too, to cut down on chromatic aberration, but shoot with confidence anyway.

dsphotog
22-Jun-2013, 21:27
When convertable lenses are "converted" you will find that a LOT more bellows extension than normal is required.

Kevin Crisp
23-Jun-2013, 14:12
Double check the ground glass when stopped down for possible focus shift.

Delfi_r
21-Aug-2013, 16:37
When convertable lenses are "converted" you will find that a LOT more bellows extension than normal is required.

I have purchased one Technika V 5X7 with a matched Symmar 210 mm convertible. Fine for general use, but I would use the 370 mm back lens for portraits.

I understand that I should use only with B&W film and perhaps a filter too.

But you say that they need more bellows extension than normal you have some estimates? (I can get 580 mm extension, but.....)

E. von Hoegh
22-Aug-2013, 07:31
I have purchased one Technika V 5X7 with a matched Symmar 210 mm convertible. Fine for general use, but I would use the 370 mm back lens for portraits.

But you say that they need more bellows extension than normal you have some estimates? (I can get 580 mm extension, but.....)

Well, a 370mm lens needs ~370mm extension to focus at infinity.

Delfi_r
22-Aug-2013, 07:47
Yes if the lens is a regular lens, but if the lens is on the back of the lensholder, perhaps I need to adjust my settings

jnantz
22-Aug-2013, 07:56

i use mine with a 5x7 camera as well.
i don't have enough bellows with a toyo ( 4x5 ) with 445 mm extension because the nodal point is so far back.
so your 500+ seems about right ...
some folks suggest you can remove the rear cell and it gives a closer infinity distance ( converts to a different focal length )
.. but i haven't ever done that ...
have fun
john

Delfi_r
22-Aug-2013, 08:01
I'll try, 440 mm is far away! I can go to 580 so I'll try.

Delfi_r
28-Aug-2013, 08:25
Today I have put the camera on the tripod and measured 48 cm extension focusing at 3,3 m. Soon i'll have the infinity measures and all scales calculated.