PDA

View Full Version : Stateside Linhof Pricing

Weihan
22-Jun-2013, 11:23
Can someone explain Linhof's pricing scheme in the United States, particularly why there are essentially across the board astonishingly high mark-up rates over Linhof's own list prices in Europe? Cases in point: the Technikardan 45 currently lists for 3,980 Euros; the Master Technika Classic for 5,980 Euros; the Kardan GT for 2,675 Euros. BUT, here in the USA, one famous retailer in New York whose name contains two simple letters lists these same cameras for an incredible: $6,900; $9,975; and $4,500 respectively! Those are mark-ups of $1,678, $2,128, and $1,000 over the original Linhof prices. Using current conversion tables, the asking prices SHOULD BE $ 5,222; $7,847; and $3,510 respectively. I don't get it. How could any camera company hope to stay in business with such ridiculously high mark-ups in the USA, whereas the exact same items sell for thousands of dollars less in Germany. Does anyone have a rational explanation for this?

Daniel Stone
22-Jun-2013, 11:56
remember than in Europe you have VAT, that's 20% extra IIRC

so if you took your "should be" pricing, and added 20% to each price, THEN multiply it by the ~1.31Euro-->1USD conversion rate(as of right now while I write this, # per google), your B&H numbers are still a bit high.

I agree, the prices DO seem a bit out of whack, especially since we here in the USA don't(yet???) have a "VAT" tax across the board. Just state/local sales taxes to worry about(hence why I purchase a lot from B&H vs locally, ~10% extra in sales tax can be an extra hit to the pocketbook!)

just run the figures as I laid out above, and you'll probably come to an answer. These are(IIRC) "special order, non-returnable" items?

just my observations on the matter

-Dan

Weihan
22-Jun-2013, 12:05
Also, the VAT is never charged on export items sold outside of Europe; the VAT is added only within the Euro Zone.

Weihan
22-Jun-2013, 15:30
As a follow-up: I just checked the German version of the Linhof catalogue and to cite another crass example of the enormous mark-up in prices for the US (and note that the original Linhof prices do not include VAT ("Mehrwertsteuer") which is never included on export goods): The Profi III pan/tilt head lists at Linhof for 1084 Euros. At the famous New York outlet alluded to above, that exact same item ist listed for $2329. That's a price increase of $900! Ridiculous.

Weihan
22-Jun-2013, 15:32
As a follow-up: I just checked the German version of the Linhof catalogue and to cite another crass example of the enormous mark-up in prices for the US (and note that the original Linhof prices do not include VAT ("Mehrwertsteuer") which is never included on export goods): The Profi III pan/tilt head lists at Linhof for 1084 Euros. At the famous New York outlet alluded to above, that exact same item ist listed for $2329. That's a mark-up of $900 over the German purchase price! IMHO, that is unjustifiable.

Daniel Stone
22-Jun-2013, 16:18
simple answer here then:

BUY USED EQUIPMENT ;)

problem solved

lots of great Linhof stuff out there begging for a new home
kinda like buying a new car, you just let someone else get the instant depreciation by buying a slightly used/pre-owned car. but in this case, a camera :D

Weihan
22-Jun-2013, 16:49
Excellent suggest; yes, I think that pretty much goest without saying. I find, however, that there is far more available in the way of used Sinars than Linhofs. Too bad I didn't go the Sinar route when I first started accumulating equipment, but the Sinars are all quite a bit bulkier and heavier than a Linhof TK.

Daniel Stone
22-Jun-2013, 17:23
yes, Linhof has the "compact" system down to a science.

put up a WTB ad here in the classifieds, you might be surprised to find someone might have what you're searching for.
there are LOTS of people who read through, but don't post on this forum, amongst others.

-Dan

Jim Andrada
22-Jun-2013, 20:27
Re high US prices, I noticed the same thing with the Mamiya 7II - quite a bit cheaper in Japan than in the US

I think the US operation probably needs to cover their expenses on a very low volume.

el french
23-Jun-2013, 01:18
Or just buy an airline ticket to Germany and write it off as a business expense.

Henry Carter
23-Jun-2013, 05:40
Or you can mail-order from an authorized Linhof dealer in Europe such as Linhof & Studio (the UK Linhof distributor) or Photografica in Copenhagen.

There is an extensive listing of Linhof products and pricing on the Linhof & Studio website:

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/products.php

Pricing is more in-line with Linhof list pricing - for example, the Profi III pan/tilt head mentioned above is £995 (equivalent to US$1603).

The prices listed by Linhof & Studio are "ex-VAT" (ie don't include the Value Added Tax), but you only pay the VAT if you live in the EU.

Weihan
23-Jun-2013, 08:40
Or you can mail-order from an authorized Linhof dealer in Europe such as Linhof & Studio (the UK Linhof distributor) or Photografica in Copenhagen.

There is an extensive listing of Linhof products and pricing on the Linhof & Studio website:

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/products.php

Pricing is more in-line with Linhof list pricing - for example, the Profi III pan/tilt head mentioned above is £995 (equivalent to US$1603).

The prices listed by Linhof & Studio are "ex-VAT" (ie don't include the Value Added Tax), but you only pay the VAT if you live in the EU.

Excellent idea. The prices look MUCH more reasonable than what US retailers are demanding. I ask myself why the New York dealers just don't go ahead and ask for $15,000 - $25,000 for some of the Linhof models.

Do you think the US govt. would then hit me with an import tax if I ordered from Linhof Studio?

Tin Can
23-Jun-2013, 08:50
Rich guys fly to Germany and buy their cars, motorcycles and perhaps camera. Use them in EU for vacation and when they return to USA they claim them as used and not subject to import fees, at least that used to work...

John Koehrer
23-Jun-2013, 15:57
Once upon a time there was a Nikon importer called EPOI that had exclusive import agreements with several manufacturers.
These cameras were far more expensive in the US than elsewhere across the world. If someone were to bring one into the US
the camera wouldn't be confiscated but the brand or logo would be defaced. To add insult to injury they also wouldn't service anything they considered "grey market". Could be the same with Linhof?

Tin Can
23-Jun-2013, 16:06
Doesn't Nikon USA still not repair or warranty any grey market Nikons?

I bet Linhof has similar policies, initial camera cost includes warranty. No?

Once upon a time there was a Nikon importer called EPOI that had exclusive import agreements with several manufacturers.
These cameras were far more expensive in the US than elsewhere across the world. If someone were to bring one into the US
the camera wouldn't be confiscated but the brand or logo would be defaced. To add insult to injury they also wouldn't service anything they considered "grey market". Could be the same with Linhof?

Weihan
23-Jun-2013, 16:29
Very interesting; I wasn't aware of this. I actually have two Linhofs - a TK 45 and a Kardan GT - both of which I bought ca. 15 years ago, and have never had any problems of any kind with them. BUT: my gripe is simply that the same company that lists its products without the VAT at a reasonable / acceptable price would demand horrendous mark-up charges on EVERYTHING sold here in the USA. The standard bellows for the TK now goes for well over $800, to cite only one example. So I'd be much better off purchasing used Sinar equipment or investing in a complete Walker Titan etc. instead of keeping the Linhof TK for outdoor use. How on earth can they justify these prices?

Tin Can
23-Jun-2013, 16:41
That's why i only buy very old Linhof with perfect bellows, and then I am very careful.

Any minute now I expect Bob Salomon - HP Marketing to give us the lowdown.

Very interesting; I wasn't aware of this. I actually have two Linhofs - a TK 45 and a Kardan GT - both of which I bought ca. 15 years ago, and have never had any problems of any kind with them. BUT: my gripe is simply that the same company that lists its products without the VAT at a reasonable / acceptable price would demand horrendous mark-up charges on EVERYTHING sold here in the USA. The standard bellows for the TK now goes for well over $800, to cite only one example. So I'd be much better off purchasing used Sinar equipment or investing in a complete Walker Titan etc. instead of keeping the Linhof TK for outdoor use. How on earth can they justify these prices?

Daniel Stone
23-Jun-2013, 16:41
....How on earth can they justify these prices?

Because some people pay their asking prices.
The same can be said of Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, hi-end watches, designer handbags costing thousands, etc...
Some people want the "best".

Truth is, the "best" is what you make of it. If you WANT a BRAND NEW Linhof, but cannot afford one, then you're up a creek.
I still don't see a WTB ad placed by yourself in the classifieds, again, you might want to try posting that there, with your ideal budget range clearly stated.

-Dan

Leszek Vogt
23-Jun-2013, 17:14

For some reason, John, my experience is contrary to what you're stating. Yes, I do recall EPOI v. well (in NY state) and my "F" may have cost more :confused::mad:. However, I bought couple of lenses in '75, which I still have, on the outskirts of Tokyo....and there was no defacing....and El Segundo Nikon serviced my lenses in the 2009. I received no comment :confused:

Les

Weihan
23-Jun-2013, 18:24
Because some people pay their asking prices.
The same can be said of Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, hi-end watches, designer handbags costing thousands, etc...
Some people want the "best".

Truth is, the "best" is what you make of it. If you WANT a BRAND NEW Linhof, but cannot afford one, then you're up a creek.
I still don't see a WTB ad placed by yourself in the classifieds, again, you might want to try posting that there, with your ideal budget range clearly stated.

-Dan
That's a very accurate assessment I'm sure. I continue to scour the epay listings and other used equipment lines to see if a normal TK bellows pops up anywhere. If that doesn't work, then I'll place an ad in the classifieds here. It simply irks me that a company engages in pricing schemes that border on the irrational.

And as for "the best" - that's a tad arguable, I'm sure. The Linhofs are wonderful cameras, agreed. But so are Arca Swiss F-line models, and I don't recall seeing the exorbitant mark-ups in their US prices vis-a-vis those in CH.

David A. Goldfarb
23-Jun-2013, 20:04
I think Bob has stated that Linhofs purchased abroad won't be eligible for US warranty service, except by special arrangement (say, for instance, you are a European photographer working on a project in the US, and your camera fails). In the age of international shipping, credit cards, and internet commerce, this does not strike me as an enormous risk, particularly considering how well made the cameras are and how little is likely to be wrong with them out of the box. There are no electronics to fail, and Linhof quality control couldn't be better.

If you're a busy studio, though, or a library using Linhof equipment for copy work, and you don't have time to wait for international shipping, it may be worth paying extra for an officially imported US camera with a US warranty.

I've had no trouble with Linhof service from Marflex in NJ or Martin in North Carolina or Nippon Photo Clinic in New York on my second hand 4x5" or 2x3" Tech V's, both of which happen to be of foreign origin (the 4x5" I think originally came by to the US by way of Argentina, and the 2x3" I purchased from a photographer in Slovenia), but that was normal, out-of-warranty service that I paid for.

Weihan
23-Jun-2013, 20:29
Yes, as I mentioned in a previous post, I've never had any problems with the two Linhofs I have; they're wonderful cameras. But I am still irked by the US mark-up in price that is nothing short of exorbitant. I'll definitely be ordering from the Eurozone instead of paying perhaps close to double the price here in the States.
Does Linhof headquarters in Munich determine these US prices?

Henry Carter
23-Jun-2013, 20:48
The UK Linhof distributor and the US Linhof distributor are both supplied by the same factory, yet their pricing is very different. It is not the factory that is responsible for higher US prices, it is the importer/distributor who determines what the market will bear.

Weihan
23-Jun-2013, 22:48
The UK Linhof distributor and the US Linhof distributor are both supplied by the same factory, yet their pricing is very different. It is not the factory that is responsible for higher US prices, it is the importer/distributor who determines what the market will bear.
WOW! How can Linhof be happy with that kind of gross imbalance? If Linhof's prices ever came down to terrestrial levels, there would likely be runs on TKs and MTs as well as the new Techno. As it is, they seem to be quickly pricing themselves out of a potentially enormous customer base among LF enthusiasts. Thanks for enlightening me Henry!

jonreid
24-Jun-2013, 03:47
Apple and Adobe do the same thing to us here in Australia all the time. Adobe even asks considerably higher license fees in Australia when the product is a downloaded installer file.

Jac@stafford.net
24-Jun-2013, 07:21
Apple and Adobe do the same thing to us here in Australia all the time. Adobe even asks considerably higher license fees in Australia when the product is a downloaded installer file.

That might be due to certain national policies related to software liability. In some countries, the standard disclaimer regarding damage to a customer's profitability due to bugs does not apply, so the maker passes the expense to the customer.

Sal Santamaura
24-Jun-2013, 07:27
...Any minute now I expect Bob Salomon - HP Marketing to give us the lowdown.Note that, although very recently active on the forum, Bob has not met your expectation, instead staying completely out of this thread. :)

...they seem to be quickly pricing themselves out of a potentially enormous customer base among LF enthusiasts...The potential customer base of LF enthusiasts in 2013 isn't even close to "potentially enormous" from an industrial manufacturer's perspective. It's tiny compared to the number of Linhof customers -- sheet film-using professional photographers -- who existed before digital changed things radically.

Bob has described many other contemporary LF camera makers as a "cottage industry," and he's correct about that.

Bob Salomon
24-Jun-2013, 07:55
You are confusing a few things:

In the USA there is suggested list price, retail selling price and dealer cost price. You are quoting one dealer's retail selling price. Other dealer's will have other prices.

Secondly you are assuming that prices change with the exchange rate. But there is inventory in the USA. That inventory was purchased at the exchange rate in effect at the time that it was shipped to the USA. So prices in the USA reflect the cost prices that the merchandise was bought at.

Since there is inventory in the USA that is sitting on 20' of shelving that inventory has to be paid for. And since it is paid for there is a value to the money used to pay for it. If we went to a bank and financed it we would pay interest on the monies used to pay for it. Your conversion didn't include finance charges.

For some reason our landlord likes to receive his rent in a timely fashion each month. That 20' of Linhof shelving - 20 linear feet 7 feet high) has to be paid for each month. Part of that rental cost goes into each and every product sold, from a Rocket Blaster to a Linhof.

You would feel much better if the new camera or head or tripod that you purchased had a warranty. In the USA the Linhof warranty is 5 years. We have to pay the service center for those warranty repairs.

You might like to have printed literature for the products. We have to buy that literature and mail it at our expense to you as well as ship it to the trade shows if you get a piece there.

Speaking of the trade shows we have to pay to be at one. The NY Javitts show last year cost us in excess of $40,000.00, not including personnel time, transportation, hotels and meals. Those cost contribute to the cost of goods.

So do ads.

And none of our employees work for the fun of working. They all want to get paid regularly. So do the 20 reps that call on our dealers across the country. Unlike the UK or Germany the USA covers a rather large area. A sinngle location can't adequately cover that much space. So we have dealers that we are very loyal to.

Lastly someone has to pay to ship the merchandise and insure the merchandise both from the factory to us and from us to you or your dealer. We have to bear that cost as well.

And maybe you want technical support. By email, phone or even in person. We pay for that 800 number so you don't have to use your dime. We spend time telling people when their camera was made. We answer each and every email as promptly as possible. We have a human answering our phones and transfering you to the proper department.

And we have to make a very small profit to stay in business.

The prices you quote are just a starting point. Check with other dealers, call and do it in person or on the phone. You be surprised.

After all, when you bought your last car didn't you dicker just a little bit?

And why do you play a game with the name of the dealer? You aren't hiding their identity. Fess up and name your sources.

Bob Salomon
24-Jun-2013, 08:00
Note that, although very recently active on the forum, Bob has not met your expectation, instead staying completely out of this thread. :)

The potential customer base of LF enthusiasts in 2013 isn't even close to "potentially enormous" from an industrial manufacturer's perspective. It's tiny compared to the number of Linhof customers -- sheet film-using professional photographers -- who existed before digital changed things radically.

Bob has described many other contemporary LF camera makers as a "cottage industry," and he's correct about that.

Sal,

Thanks, timing was bad as this weekend was my wife's and My 50th Anniversary and we were a little tied up.

But now that we are starting on the second 50 today I had some time.

Bill_1856
24-Jun-2013, 08:14
...we were a little tied up.
Kinky! Well, whatever turns you on; I hope no one got any serious rope burns.

Sal Santamaura
24-Jun-2013, 08:51
...this weekend was my wife's and My 50th Anniversary...Congratulations! We're coming up on our 38th, so I know what an achievement 50 is. :D

Bob Salomon
24-Jun-2013, 09:02
Congratulations! We're coming up on our 38th, so I know what an achievement 50 is. :D

38 is barely starting, keep going and congratulations as well!

Since I travel between 25 and 50% of the time, depending on the year. We have haven't really been together a full 50!

Weihan
24-Jun-2013, 09:34
Wouldn't those same factors apply to Arca Swiss products as well? But for some reason I don't see the incredible price mark-ups with their products here in the US.

Bob Salomon
24-Jun-2013, 10:14
Wouldn't those same factors apply to Arca Swiss products as well? But for some reason I don't see the incredible price mark-ups with their products here in the US.

Arca Swiss (who is really French) is sold by an affiliate who is part of the parent company. Not by an independent authorized distributor. Also it is essentially a one person company in the USA with very few dealers. We have about 700 dealers that sell our products.

Tin Can
24-Jun-2013, 10:26
Bob, congratulations on 50 years!

My parents had 68 years until Dad moved on, actually 72 years if we count the courtship.

I wish you many more years together.

Sal,

Thanks, timing was bad as this weekend was my wife's and My 50th Anniversary and we were a little tied up.

But now that we are starting on the second 50 today I had some time.

dave_whatever
24-Jun-2013, 10:37
Bob's right, and of course the european Linhof dealers have no overheads, warranties, distribution or storage costs and pay their staff in magic beans.

Weihan
24-Jun-2013, 10:48
In any case, from the perspective of the consumer / end-user in simply wanting the best product for the lowest price, Arca Swiss clearly has the better business model and the upper hand. If I could go back and alter my initial purchasing decision, I'd definitely opt for the Arca camera system based on the pricing schemes for cameras and all accessories.

Bob Salomon
24-Jun-2013, 10:53
Thanks

Bob Salomon
24-Jun-2013, 10:58
Bob's right, and of course the european Linhof dealers have no overheads, warranties, distribution or storage costs and pay their staff in magic beans.

Of course they do. But the source in the UK is the importer where the prices quoted from the USA are from camera stores and not the importer.

dave_whatever
24-Jun-2013, 11:13
Of course they do. But the source in the UK is the importer where the prices quoted from the USA are from camera stores and not the importer.

I don't know about "importer" but here are the on-sale-to-the-general-public prices before tax from the main UK linhof retailer:

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/cameras/linhof/technikardan.php

Which look very much in line with the euro prices quoted in the OP. OtherbUK linhof retailers' prices are more or less identical to the above.

Weihan
24-Jun-2013, 11:19
Again, my thinking has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the Linhof models (I have two); they are wonderful cameras - examples par excellence of German engineering, and the Technikardan in particular embodies an ingenious design.
BUT someone needs to speak to Linhof about the crass disconnect between ordinary income levels and the stratospheric prices demanded by the camera stores here in the USA. The end-effect is that these retailers are driving more and more people into the used-only market. The prices are simply no longer indicative of the actual value of the product. Too much overhead; too many levels of payment schemes involved for too many people. I imagine Linhof would be rewarded with a much larger customer base (even in China) among LF photographers if their prices were down-to-earth.

mihag
24-Jun-2013, 11:24
Weihan, talk to the dealers, they are usually flexible, at least my dealer was. One more thing I think I should stress is that I know of no one here in Europe who shares his knowledge on the Linhof system as profoundly as Bob Salomon does. He was more helpful, prompt and thorough in his answers when I needed help than the Linhof themsleves or our dealer were. And all that for free! So thanks again Bob.

Jim Andrada
24-Jun-2013, 11:26
Hi Bob

Congratulations on a real milestone. You must be as old as I am (unless you married at 15)

Bob Salomon
24-Jun-2013, 11:29
A bit later then that.

Thanks

Bob Salomon
24-Jun-2013, 11:37
I don't know about "importer" but here are the on-sale-to-the-general-public prices before tax from the main UK linhof retailer:

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/cameras/linhof/technikardan.php

Which look very much in line with the euro prices quoted in the OP. OtherbUK linhof retailers' prices are more or less identical to the above.

The "main retailer" is the importer. You can verify who is the importer in every country by looking on the Linhof web site. We are all listed there.

As for in line I saw 2 dealers mentiond. The "main" retailer in the UK and a dealer in Denmark.

As to prices the UK dealer was much lower then the Denish dealer.

For instance:

UK importer sells the Technorama 617 S III for the equivelent of $4,211.00 and the danish dealer for $5,401.00. Similar differences on the accessories. Hardly the same prices.

Any time a distributor sells at retail they will offer lower prices then retailers who buy the same product from the distributor. In essence that distributor is the other dealer's competitor. That may work in a physically small country like the UK but it is not easily workable in a country the size of the USA or Canada with as many dealers that are in the USA and Canada.

dave_whatever
24-Jun-2013, 11:46
The OP said the european list price for a TK is 3,980 Euros, and the link I posted above says about the equivalent in pounds (I forget the exact current exchange rate).

The point I was making is that in the UK the importer is selling at the same price as the retailers - the are not undercutting them.

For example here, retailer/importer selling M679cs for £4700 plus tax
http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/cameras/linhof/m679.php

and here, another uk retailer selling M679cs for £4700 plus tax
http://www.teamworkphoto.com/linhof-m679cs-digital-monorail-camera-body-p-12080.html

Weihan
24-Jun-2013, 12:34
Weihan, talk to the dealers, they are usually flexible, at least my dealer was. One more thing I think I should stress is that I know of no one here in Europe who shares his knowledge on the Linhof system as profoundly as Bob Salomon does. He was more helpful, prompt and thorough in his answers when I needed help than the Linhof themsleves or our dealer were. And all that for free! So thanks again Bob.
Yes, I agree completely. Mr. Salomon is extremely helpful and equally knowledgeable about all things related to Linhof, but also about LF photography in general. Now if only he would use his influence :p with Linhof to entice them into getting more realistic pricing plans.

GG12
26-Jun-2013, 13:22
This is a long term problem - one that precedes Linhof and today's markets, but one which existed with US distributors and small European niche products back in the 1950s and 1960s. It was an issue then with automobiles, where it was easier to fly to Europe and buy your car and then bring it back than work through the local dealer network.

The problem is that the niche markets are best served by direct and nimble distribution and dealers, and the US is too big. So if you gear up for the US, you don't have the volume to support the distribugtion and dealer network; if you don't gear up, you don't get to the clients. So HP (and others in this pickle) have tried to meet in the middle with sufficient markup to stay in business and deal with this problem as best they can. However, todays shoppers will buy differently than yesterdays.

So the distributors, in this case HP Marketing, who have been loyal and knowledgeable about the brand, struggle to provide good service, admirably, but bluntly speaking, its not necessarily "at your door" . The consumer doesn't have a full knowledgeable dealership nearby and so ends up with a box in the mail. Whether that comes from Calif, NY, or Europe doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Sad but true.

Personally I would think HP ought to sell directly, and give up the spread out dealership network; else, I hope they make enough money from their other lines. In the case of other niche product lines, there are lots of folks who are just dealing with European/Japanese manufacturers directly.

Tin Can
26-Jun-2013, 13:35
Also, some of us are becoming so used to global buying, that I am seriously considering a ULF direct from China, something I never would have done just a few years ago.

Products, markets and marketing are changing quickly.

Even the Chinese camera I may or may not buy, cannot be made and delivered for at least 4 months, by that time I may have made my own...

Weihan
26-Jun-2013, 23:34
Very lucid explanation, thanks! Your suggestion that HP sell directly also sounds like a better solution than the status quo options, especially if it would mean reductions in prices for the end consumer.

David A. Goldfarb
28-Jun-2013, 23:19
It's also not by any means an issue exclusive to Linhof. Mamiya and Toyo products, which sell in higher volumes than Linhof, also used to be much cheaper in Europe, despite being manufactured in Asia, and MAC used to defend aggressively against unauthorized imports. I don't know if that's still the case. Even Canon and Nikon have a vigorous grey market, though the difference in markup is smaller.

jonreid
29-Jun-2013, 01:21
That might be due to certain national policies related to software liability. In some countries, the standard disclaimer regarding damage to a customer's profitability due to bugs does not apply, so the maker passes the expense to the customer.

I doubt it. We had a Federal Parliamentary inquiry into it a few months back. Adobe basically said they saw Australians as being able & willing to pay more and charged accordingly. Adobe then backed off the Australian CC pricing a little, but not for standalone versions. Apple's response was similar I believe.

Jon

Oren Grad
29-Jun-2013, 18:52
It's also not by any means an issue exclusive to Linhof. Mamiya and Toyo products, which sell in higher volumes than Linhof, also used to be much cheaper in Europe, despite being manufactured in Asia, and MAC used to defend aggressively against unauthorized imports. I don't know if that's still the case. Even Canon and Nikon have a vigorous grey market, though the difference in markup is smaller.

MAC has actually owned the Mamiya trademark for a long while now, since Mamiya Japan had a near-death experience something like 30 years ago. For years MAC defended the trademark vigorously, threatening to have unauthorized imports seized in customs, if you dared present them for service, whatever. All of that has vanished from the current Mamiya Leaf website; I don't know whether that's because they've mellowed, because their promotional emphasis is now entirely on digital under the Phase One umbrella, or just because sales of their remaining analog equipment are so vanishingly small that there's hardly anything left to defend.

Nikon USA still refuses to service gray equipment - not even if you are willing to pay for it. I don't know about Canon.

Grumium
30-Jun-2013, 03:27
As you can't buy directly from Linhof, I recommend getting in contact with Linhof Studio in Britain. After having bought many items locally in Germany, I found them to be of superior service and pricing.

jonreid
28-Jul-2013, 20:02
And the report (Australia)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/personal-tech/australians-pay-50-per-cent-more-for-tech-goods/story-e6frgazf-1226687429151

Tin Can
28-Jul-2013, 20:13
Unbelievable, but I know it's true and stupid.

And the report (Australia)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/personal-tech/australians-pay-50-per-cent-more-for-tech-goods/story-e6frgazf-1226687429151

Bob Salomon
30-Sep-2013, 12:34
We have listened to this discussion and today have posted direct prices for some Linhof cameras and lenses including the TK 45S, the Kardan 45re, The Master Technika Classic and the Master Technika 3000 and the Technorama 617 SIII camera and lenses and finders.
All are brand new with 5 year warranty in the USA! They can be seen at the Linhof Factory Store at www.hpmarketingcorp.com.
There are also similar savings on Wista cameras and Rodenstock lenses and Berlebach tripods.

See, sometimes comments posted here do make a difference!

Jac@stafford.net
1-Oct-2013, 07:11
I doubt it. We had a Federal Parliamentary inquiry into it a few months back. Adobe basically said they saw Australians as being able & willing to pay more and charged accordingly. Adobe then backed off the Australian CC pricing a little, but not for standalone versions. Apple's response was similar I believe.

Jon

Jon, I was thinking of Germany and Austria which have different Haftung (liability) laws.

Jac@stafford.net
1-Oct-2013, 07:25
Bob:

To avoid confusion, you are referring to this list, correct?
http://hpmarketingstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10&zenid=9pfejugjcr98o0mtt2kql8fei7

There is a different list on the Linhof home page dated
February 1, 2013 http://www.linhof.de/download_e/linhof_price_13.pdf with prices in Euro.

Bob Salomon
1-Oct-2013, 08:17
Bob:

To avoid confusion, you are referring to this list, correct?
http://hpmarketingstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10&zenid=9pfejugjcr98o0mtt2kql8fei7

There is a different list on the Linhof home page dated
February 1, 2013 http://www.linhof.de/download_e/linhof_price_13.pdf with prices in Euro.

Correct. www.hpmarketingcorp.com