PDA

View Full Version : Supermoon Event

David Lobato
21-Jun-2013, 15:57
Attention landscape and nature shooters. Is anyone planning to photograph the Supermoon this weekend? I already posted this question on the Shiprock Trip thread but thought more people may want to be aware of this weekend's unique opportunity.

If you do get to make LF photographs of the Supermoon, please post them.

Heroique
21-Jun-2013, 17:07
I’m still recovering from last night’s summer solstice party – hope I’m well again in time for the Supermoon event!

Drew Wiley
24-Jun-2013, 13:55
Storm clouds came in yesterday, so no moon at all. Raining at the moment. Odd for June on the coast.

vinny
24-Jun-2013, 14:26
I managed to get one shot off in the back forty. Clouds the night before.

Jehu
24-Jun-2013, 16:13
It's hard to make a picture of the moon interesting. I tried a multiple exposure a few times and found that a 5 minute interval makes an interesting shot. I've used it on a couple of lunar eclipses.

This one was on slide film:

Jehu
24-Jun-2013, 16:24
found it...

Here is my first try at shooting the moon:

This one used 5 minute intervals. If I remember right, I used 1/30 @ f22 on ISO 100.

I think I bumped the tripod between the 6th and 7th exposure. I could've corrected in Photoshop I suppose but it was more of an experiment than a final product.

photobymike
24-Jun-2013, 16:25
I am looking for moon rise or moon set. To me it is important to have other elements in the picture to give it context. A good example of this context is "Moon Over Hernandez" by Ansel Adams. I will put my spot meter on the moon and measure the light coming off the moons surface. It will be so bright that anything in the foreground will be most likely Silhouette‎d.

Jehu
24-Jun-2013, 16:35
If you have a clear view of the moon, it follows the "sunny 16" rule. That is, the reciprocal of your ISO at f16. I found it best to increase one stop to brighten the moon without losing the texture.

Using the full moon for a light source uses something the Nocturns call the Looney 16 rule. I'm still trying to figure that out. I do know that, if you want to show foreground subjects with moonlight, you will lose the moon's texture from overexposure.