PDA

View Full Version : Ilex Paragon 12" (305mm) f6.3

TimeShare
19-Jun-2013, 12:59
Curious if anyone has any info on the shutter/mount size required for this lens ?

Anyone have much experience with this lens or direct me to information on the history of this lens?

Thank you.

E. von Hoegh
19-Jun-2013, 13:31
Try SK Grimes for the compatibility with modern shutters.
Camera Eccentric may have info on the lens itself, it would have been mounted in a now "obsolete" Ilex shutter. http://www.cameraeccentric.com/index.html

It's a Tessar type, the f:6.3 Tessars can be very good.

Ian Greenhalgh
19-Jun-2013, 15:09
Too big for a #3 Ilex, so I'm betting it will fit a #4 Ilex.

TimeShare
19-Jun-2013, 15:42
Too big for a #3 Ilex, so I'm betting it will fit a #4 Ilex.

I was told a Betax #4, the question now is what would be a more modern equivalent as the current shutter on this lens is a very old ACME with the dial for shutter speeds

Carsten Wolff
19-Jun-2013, 23:18
Whilst I'm not sure if the 305mm Paragon would warrant a NEW shutter transplantation, a Copal #3 would have enough throat to cope with it; machining will be neccessary though, as neither the element spacing, nor the thread sizes would be a direct fit. I'd second contacting S.K. Grimes with a quote, then sit down and peruse the web for another lens instead. :) You might find a good Copal 3 s/h somewhere, which would bring down the cost. Personally, I'm a fan of Alphax shutters: Near bullet-proof; I've got probably half-a-dozen lenses in those; they never give me trouble, but need good cable releases. An Alphax 4 is the same size as a Betax 4. - Another rarish, but modernish shutter is the Shanel 5A, but from memory I don't think those have apertures as they were designed for front-mounting.

Ian Greenhalgh
20-Jun-2013, 05:15
Yes, the Shanel 5A lacks an aperture, sadly. Ilex #4 has 58mm threads front and rear, as does a Copal #3, but I'm not sure if the spacings etc are the same too.

A Betax #4 has 62mm threads front and rear,there is no modern shutter this big, the biggest being the Copal #3.

I would suggest getting the Acme it is in CLA'd, that would be a lot cheaper than remounting. If you do decide to remount it, I also suggest an Alphax #4, they are very good shutters, very robust and reliable.

TimeShare
20-Jun-2013, 06:29
The Alphax shutters look solid ! The difficulty is knowing the thread size/diameter of the Ilex Paragon lens and matching it to the appropriate thread size for a particular shutter.

The good thing is that I can still use the B setting on the lens, the shutter fires on the faster settings but the times are unpredictable considering the age of the ACME shutter.

Really appreciate all the great feedback and suggestions from everyone !!!

E. von Hoegh
20-Jun-2013, 07:02
It's essential to get the threads and the spacing correct. Have you looked into having the shutter serviced?

Fotoguy20d
20-Jun-2013, 07:39
if its in an Acme, I don't think it'll fit an alphax or Betax without machining. at least, that was my experience with an old Turner Reich.

dan

Ian Greenhalgh
20-Jun-2013, 08:16
The Alphax shutters look solid ! The difficulty is knowing the thread size/diameter of the Ilex Paragon lens and matching it to the appropriate thread size for a particular shutter.

The good thing is that I can still use the B setting on the lens, the shutter fires on the faster settings but the times are unpredictable considering the age of the ACME shutter.

Really appreciate all the great feedback and suggestions from everyone !!!

If the shutter works, I'm betting a good cleaning will get it running okay, those old Acme shutters are very simple so it will just be dirty.

TimeShare
20-Jun-2013, 11:46
If the shutter works, I'm betting a good cleaning will get it running okay, those old Acme shutters are very simple so it will just be dirty.

I am in the Toronto area so unlikely anyone local here to CLA it, I would likely have to mail it to the U.S. somewhere.

Mark Tweed
21-Jun-2013, 10:10
Check out this group, they do CLA's.

Camtech Photographic
588 Concession St
Hamilton, ON
L8V 1B1
905-389-8545 ph.
905-389-8886 fax.

TimeShare
21-Jun-2013, 10:31
Check out this group, they do CLA's.

Camtech Photographic
588 Concession St
Hamilton, ON
L8V 1B1
905-389-8545 ph.
905-389-8886 fax.

Thank you Mark, I was just in there last week & didn't even think of them.

TimeShare
28-Jul-2013, 12:52
Would anyone know what the filter size for the Ilex Paragon 12" (305mm) f6.3 would be ?