PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 xray film: any single sided Kodak?

Daniel Stone
18-Jun-2013, 19:14
I love love love this 5x7 Deardorff, but I also love making contact prints. And I'd like to eventually step it up a bit. I an aware of the holders availability, and of the overall bulk. I'm just inquiring here about film in general.

So, my question:
Does Kodak make any panchromatic(preferred) x-ray film in 11x14 or 14x17(and I'd then cut it down to 11x14)?

Or if another manufacturer does, that's cool too.
Completely panchromatic isn't required, bit it'd be nice if it's as full-spectrum as possible.

11x14 Tmax 400 would be stupendous, but is way more expensive than I can afford ATM...

thx,
Dan

Mark Woods
18-Jun-2013, 19:35
Not sure about the Kodak availability, but Fuji has both panchromatic, green, and red Xray film. BTW, I have an 11x14 Chaminoix camera I'd like to find a home for it.

Tav Walraven
20-Jun-2013, 22:11
Daniel...

From what I have found at most x-ray dealers, the largest size for one sided x-ray film is 8x10. I'd love to buy some for my 11x14 but no luck finding it in that size. The Kodak B/RA is what I have seen available and have seen quite a few prints from several photographers using it. I'm currently using Kodak Green sensitive for my 11x14 work and have had success with no real scratching or marking problems. I'll be cutting down 14x36 soon for my 12x20.......just about done buying any 12x20 pan film...empties the wallet too fast.

tw

Daniel Stone
20-Jun-2013, 22:20
Hi Tav,

thanks. I'm in the process of finding a new place to live, so I'm in "save save save" mode ATM :). Once I'm settled and got things going, I can start re-assessing adding 11x14 to the arsenal. Might be some time though, since I'm having so much fun with this little 5x7 Deardorff :)!

but looking at some 11x14 fiber enlargements the other day(just test prints, but still for a size comparison), I was like "ya, this is LARGE format". 5X7 is kinda still a "small" format IMO, 4x5 is basically a p&s now ;)

I can barely imagine 12x20, I imagine it does empty the wallet quickly!

-Dan

Carl J
21-Jun-2013, 00:00
Daniel,

Ha!...and you were selling off most of your 8x10 gear/film a little while ago. ;) :) I just developed my first sheet of 11x14 Fuji HR-U Green in a Beseler tube and the results were encouraging. Tav has been very helpful with development and film-handling related questions. I didn't have any scratches, either, but development was a bit uneven in a couple of spots.

I've used a fair amount of the single-sided Kodak B/RA in 8x10 and have gotten good results, esp. with a yellow filter. I also haven't found any single sided X-ray film larger than 8x10. I tend to think it doesn't exist, not sure why.

FWIW, I have an old Century field 11x14 with 22" of extension (it's missing the rear extension) and very limited movements. It's 'only' 16 lbs. and perhaps because of the limited movements (front rise/fall and rear swing and some tilt) it's pretty easy to use. View through the GG (I'm using a 15" Ilex Paragon process lens, the one Jim Fitzgerald speaks so highly about) is amazing.

Good luck with your move.

Mark, how much do you want for that Chamonix??