PDA

View Full Version : Scanning software for Mac

Al Anderson
18-Jun-2013, 04:31
Hello all!
I'm completely new to this, and have only made a few shots with my 4x5 so far, and I just got a used Epson 4870 yesterday. I'm looking for some good scanning software to use this on my iMac. The Image Capture software that Apple has seems to be lacking in features.

Thanks in advance

Al Anderson

welly
18-Jun-2013, 05:23
Google VueScan or SilverFast.

sanking
18-Jun-2013, 06:22
Hello all!
I'm completely new to this, and have only made a few shots with my 4x5 so far, and I just got a used Epson 4870 yesterday. I'm looking for some good scanning software to use this on my iMac. The Image Capture software that Apple has seems to be lacking in features.

Thanks in advance

Al Anderson

You can still download Epson scan for the 4870 from the Epson web site. For scanning B&W negatives I prefer the Epson scan software to Silverfast and Vuescan.

Sandy

Harley Goldman
18-Jun-2013, 15:11
For scanning B&W negatives I prefer the Epson scan software to Silverfast and Vuescan.Sandy

I totally agree. It does a nice job on color, too. And it is free.

Al Anderson
19-Jun-2013, 10:02
Thanks all,

I downloaded Epson Scan, but have not ben able to get it working in Mountain Lion. I have a trial of VueScan and it looks promising.

Al Anderson
20-Jun-2013, 03:21
I ended up getting VueScan and it is working great for me. :)

ROL
20-Jun-2013, 11:16
+1, VueScan for older scanners and newer PC's. It has kept my SprintScan and Epson 4990 going with Mountain Lion. Ed was quick to respond with any issues getting these scanners up to speed.

Minhhich
24-Jun-2013, 03:03
Yup, Vuescan and Silver Fast are best

BradS
29-Nov-2013, 08:13
Upgraded the Mac Mini at home to OS-X 10.9 Mavericks only to learn that Epson scan is not supported on Mavericks (as of a couple of weeks ago). Does VueScan work with Mavericks?

Light Guru
29-Nov-2013, 08:24
Upgraded the Mac Mini at home to OS-X 10.9 Mavericks only to learn that Epson scan is not supported on Mavericks (as of a couple of weeks ago). Does VueScan work with Mavericks?

What scanner are you trying to use? Epson has updated the epson scan software for many of their scanners to work with Mavericks.

David Lobato
29-Nov-2013, 09:03
I have been using the Epson scan software on Mountain Lion with no problems. Used it yesterday to scan some 4x5's with my V700. At first it wouldn't load the scan app and I had to push the scanner's "scan" button to get it started. There's an Epson app in the Applications folder now.

dave_whatever
29-Nov-2013, 11:10
What scanner are you trying to use? Epson has updated the epson scan software for many of their scanners to work with Mavericks.

Yep, I updated my epson scan yesterday to work fine with Mavericks. All the reports of Epsonscan not working are all a month or so old now (and for those who are determined to load a new OS on the day its released, then yes, some things are not going to work right away, the price you pay for being at the bleeding edge).

I would second the recommendation of vuescan though as the best option for the flatbed Epsons.

BradS
30-Nov-2013, 11:17

Checked back at the Epson support page this morning - they now support the scanner.

Unfortunately, the Canon CaonScan 9950F that I also have is not yet supported by canon's software. So, am back to looking into VueScan for it.

Shootar401
2-Dec-2013, 08:07
I've used both Vue Scan and SilverFast with my V750 and prefer Epson scan hands down. The results I get from Epson scan have always looked better.

I don't see a need to upgrade to Mevericks when my system works fine as is.

BradS
2-Dec-2013, 08:17

You may be able to get away with being lax on updates to the OS if the computer is not connected to the internet...but, if connected, lagging behind in update is...eh, unwise.

Bought VueScan over the weekend...and can say that it works with both the Epson NX430 and the Canoscan 9950F

dave_whatever
2-Dec-2013, 08:59
I've used both Vue Scan and SilverFast with my V750 and prefer Epson scan hands down. The results I get from Epson scan have always looked better.

One crucial difference between Epsonscan and Vuescan, is that in Vuescan you can output raw scans with IT8 calibration and still have ICE on, whereas Epson scan deactivates ICE. Obviously this is only of use to colour shooters.

I also like being able to oversample and also output only the green channel (sharper mono scans) and let Vuescan deal with this before it writes the file to disk, rather than having to do it in photoshop myself, gives a nice streamlined workflow. But each to their own.