PDA

View Full Version : FP4 and HP5 differences in contact printing

wiggywag
17-Jun-2013, 10:47
Im using HP5 for contact printig these days and have wonderful results in ABC Pyro. I have not tested FP4 in ABC Pyro yet, but I know from before that I love the look of FP4. Doing contact printing where grain is a non issue is there any advantage of a slower film like FP4 tonality wise? Is there any benefit with contact printing? I will also test myself, but it would be interesting to hear your opinions.

Daniel Stone
17-Jun-2013, 10:53
If you're getting results you like with HP5+, why stop?

the extra stop or so(at least) over FP4+ should help if you like sharp pictures, where everything is nice and crisp. As you've already mentioned, grain isn't an issue w/ contact printing like it is with enlarging.

I'd stick with what you know and like, but no shame in shooting a few boxes of FP4+ and seeing if it aids in your vision as well

-Dan

Jim Noel
17-Jun-2013, 10:56
The advantage of FP4+ is it's inherent contrast. If you get into alternative processes you will need negatives of long scale. These are more easily obtained with FP4+ than HP5+ because in all cases, slower films expand more. The only time I use HP5+ is when I expose a negative in extremely contrasty situations and know I will have to contract the negative as I develop it.

Michael Kadillak
17-Jun-2013, 13:37
I tried FP4+ in ABC pyro and it was a disaster. The negatives exhibited a terrible fog that prevented proper image separation and they were unprintable. Not going down that road again. Was it the water or something else? Not sure.
Like Daniel said, if it isn't broke don't try to fix it.

George Hart
17-Jun-2013, 13:49
In my (small, compared with others on this forum) experience with contact printing using FP4+, tonality is wonderful! 5x7 format, dev'd in ID-11/D76 1+1. Not tried HP5 but I would expect it to have a shorter tonal mid-range. As others have said, there's no substitute for trying it yourself.

jp
17-Jun-2013, 13:50
I've only used FP4+ in pyrocat HD and it's a nice combination.

sanking
17-Jun-2013, 13:51
I tried FP4+ in ABC pyro and it was a disaster. The negatives exhibited a terrible fog that prevented proper image separation and they were unprintable. Not going down that road again. Was it the water or something else? Not sure.
Like Daniel said, if it isn't broke don't try to fix it.

I don't believe there is anything inherently incompatible between FP4 and ABC Pyro that would cause fog. The problem is that unless you are really careful with mixing and storage ABC Pyro is a developer to avoid. The usual culprit is that the sulfite solution goes bad, and when it goes bad (turns to sulphate) you get fog from the extensive oxidation. Sulfite is not stable in aqueous solution.

If one insists on using ABC Pyro probably best to add the sulfite in powder form directly to the working solution. Then you have AB Pyro + sulfite!

Sandy

Andrew O'Neill
17-Jun-2013, 14:08
FP4 and HP5 are my main "conventional" films. The differences are subtle, but FP4 has slightly better highlight seperation and HP5 slightly better shadows. I contact print in alternative methods (kallitype, carbon), and prefer to use FP4 for this. HP5 can be used for alternative printing, as long as a high contrast developer is used, such as D-19... Extended development times tend to increase HP5's B+F too greatly in conventional developers. I also appreciate the extra speed of HP5. So, how will you be printing your negs?

wiggywag
20-Jun-2013, 11:19
I use ABC pyro which have great expansion capabilities. How many zones can this developer expand and contract HP5 and FP4? Anybody on this forum done a real test? Also interested to hear results with other developers, but please specify which developer you use. Thanks again for an excellent forum :)

wiggywag
20-Jun-2013, 12:21
I use ABC pyro which have great expansion capabilities. How many zones can this developer expand and contract HP5 and FP4? Anybody on this forum done a real test? Also interested to hear results with other developers, but please specify which developer you use. Thanks again for an excellent forum :)

I opened a new post for this question, feel it needs its own thread. Please answer there!

Cor
25-Jun-2013, 05:21
Maybe of some interest: I use HP5+ in 8*10 for the speed advantages; I process in XTol and when I see possibilities in alternative printing (in my case pure platinum) I bleach the negative and re-develop in Pyrocat-HD to obtain the necessary (UV) density.

Best,

Cor

wiggywag
27-Jun-2013, 12:55
Maybe of some interest: I use HP5+ in 8*10 for the speed advantages; I process in XTol and when I see possibilities in alternative printing (in my case pure platinum) I bleach the negative and re-develop in Pyrocat-HD to obtain the necessary (UV) density.

Best,

Cor

Interesting, didn't know that was possible. Thanks

Andrew O'Neill
28-Jun-2013, 08:24
Yes, it is possible. I tried it back in the 90's after reading Patrick Gainer's article in PT. Worked quite well with HP5+.