PDA

View Full Version : CA Channel Islands this weekend

Ivan J. Eberle
13-Jun-2013, 18:27
Got the sudden urge to go. Haven't been there in years or with LF gear, ever. Interested particularly in pygmy mammoths and petroglyph/pictographs. Any other "must-sees" or tips appreciated! Thanks!

Robert Langham
13-Jun-2013, 20:52
Bring me back a pygmy mammoth!

Robert Oliver
13-Jun-2013, 23:56
I have never been out there... but it's high on my list. I am thinking I will try Santa Cruz first.

Might even suggest it as this summer's family backpacking trip (with LF camera). Biggest concern with backpacking out there is having to carry ALL water in. Not an easy feat with my LF gear.

Hope to see some of your images...

Robert

Drew Wiley
14-Jun-2013, 08:09
Sounds wonderful. It's on my wish list of places to visit. Never been there. Just have the pygmy mammoth carry your gear and water!

BrianShaw
14-Jun-2013, 08:11
Which islands will you be visiting? I've been to Anacapa and had lots of fun, but never had a camera with me. Never landed on any of the other islands, though. I'd love to hear the details - how you getting there, etc.

BrianShaw
14-Jun-2013, 08:12
p.s. If those pygmy mammoths have a dispostion anything close to the disposition of Catalina's feral boars... steer clear of them!

David Karp
14-Jun-2013, 09:32
Been on Catalina, and close enough to Anacapa and Santa Cruz to just about touch them, but never been on them. A hike on one or more of the islands has been on my list for so long, maybe you have gotten me off the dime. Time for some research. Tell us if it is LF friendly!

ROL
14-Jun-2013, 15:23
Been to Santa Cruz in the Fall. To dry, no wild flowers. Wished it had been Spring. Hundreds of wave hopping California Dolphins, glinting in the low angled sun, were the highlight for me. But if you see any pygmy (or non) mammoths on the Islands, you're already far more imaginative than me.

patrickjames
15-Jun-2013, 00:16
I think if you want to see any pigmy mammoths you may need to bring something a lot stronger than water....

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Peter Mounier
15-Jun-2013, 07:11
I hiked on Santa Rosa Is several years ago with a couple of friends on a weekend trip. Didn't see any pygmy mammoths but did see a (presumably native american) human skull and vertebrae embedded in the eroding cliff. We notified the ranger of its location and he told us that they aren't interested in uncovering remains, but rather preserving them as they are found. He took note of the location. We also came across the skeletal remains of a crashed airplane at the top of one of the hills on the island.