PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid Wet Emulsion Transfers 8x10

Annie M.
25-Jun-2004, 15:53
I would like to to some Polaroid emulsion transfers in 8x10 of the type where the emulsion is floated off the film, transferred and manipulated on a secondary substrate. It has been indicated to me on another forum that the 8x10 Polaroid process is somehow more complex than using 4x5. I was wondering just how the two formats differ with this process..... Is the 809 emulsion of the 8x10 somehow different? Any pointers from someone using 8x10 would be appreciated.... Also wondering is there 11x14 Polaroid out there.... (I noticed there was some talk of it on Wisner's site) Cheers & thanks!

Ralph Barker
25-Jun-2004, 17:00
With 8x10 Polaroid, the negatives and positives are separate, Annie, not in the same packet as with 4x5. Thus, you also need a separate 8x10 Polaroid processor. The processors come up on eBay occasionally, but you have to watch that you have all the parts necessary.

Annie M.
25-Jun-2004, 17:33
Thanks Ralph,

I looked there are a few nice ones on ebay now (US only... sigh) there is even one with a little hand crank (only thing missing is the monkey with the little tin cup). Since I posted I managed to find the manual on-line and I see the difference in the process for the two formats... I assume that once the original print is made that the transfer is the same for both. Thanks again... Annie.

Ralph Barker
25-Jun-2004, 18:32
I haven't done any transfers, Annie, but I'd assume the process is essentially the same regardless of the print size. The key to buying used is to get the right film holder (81-06) and the matching (81-09) tray. The 81-05 (I think that # is correct) were earlier models that didn't use the loading tray. (I'm not sure how the positive was fed in with those.)

The electric processors have a hand crank, and Calumet makes a "field" processor that is crank-powered, too. You should note, however, that the monkey and tin-cup options are usually sold separately. Properly trained, however, the monkey can pass through the crowd that gathers when shooting 8x10 in the field, and collect donations (but only if you selected the tin-cup option, too, of course).

Jim Rice
25-Jun-2004, 19:01
It's my understanding that the Calumet is somewhat prone to banding until you get your technique down, perhaps the 'roid in monkey mode, too.

Annie M.
25-Jun-2004, 19:11
Hmmmmm...... Banding..... perhaps that has something to do with the monkey's pause.

Pete Caluori
25-Jun-2004, 21:17
Greetings,

I use the 81-05. The film is loaded into the holder, exposed, then the holder is placed into the processor and a sheet of paper with chemical packets is slid into the holder. When the processor is activated, the film and paper are drawn through the processor and a print is formed.

I don't do emulsion lifts/transfers, but I do image transfers. For image transfers I recommend a Polaroid process over the Calumet hand crank model, but for emulsion lifts I don't think it matters (banding issues, which I can't comment on, aside.) I strongly suggest you master the technique using 4x5 before graduating to 8x10 unless of course money is no object.

Regards, Pete

Bill Jefferson
26-Jun-2004, 10:56
Anne, The 809 and the T-59 are the same emulsions, Check the polaroid web site for tips on the process. good luck