PDA

View Full Version : In praise of: Linhof factory service

Thomas Greutmann
12-Jun-2013, 07:58
Others have documented very positive experience in dealing with camera companies here, and I would like to make a few favourable comments about the Linhof factory service, as they truly deserve this.

I am located in Germany and so is Linhof, so this is probably something worth knowing for the European members.

They have helped me twice with small items for which I needed replacements: once for with the little red/green lever markers on a Linhof Technikardan, and just recently with a lost screw on a compendium. In both cases I have contacted them via email (you find the address on their website) and they sent me a replacement within a few days, at no costs, with a friendly communication on the side.

Now I not only love their cameras but also really recommend their service.

Greetings, Thomas

Steven Tribe
12-Jun-2013, 13:05
It may be that Linhof headquarters in Germany works like this, but my experience of all makers of professional equipment through foreign agencies is that part numbers evoke a price that has nothing to do with manufacturing costs. It is a question of contribution towards fixed costs of an operation which is hardly a commercial goldmine.

Bob Salomon
12-Jun-2013, 13:48
It may be that Linhof headquarters in Germany works like this, but my experience of all makers of professional equipment through foreign agencies is that part numbers evoke a price that has nothing to do with manufacturing costs. It is a question of contribution towards fixed costs of an operation which is hardly a commercial goldmine.

Since we are the Linhof agency for the USA I will tell you what we do.

Nothing!

Service for us on all of our products is non-revenue producing. We do not participate in the service transaction. That is a transaction between the user and the repair agency. The authorized repair agency buys the parts from the factory and does the repairs in their location. We do not participate in the transaction in any way unless the service center asks us to order the parts. And if we do this we pass the parts on to the agency at our cost.

Of course an independant service agency must charge for their time and labor. Otherwise there would not be any independant service centers. Whether it is Nippon Photoclinic, Bob Watkins, Danielle, Pro Photo or any other camera repair person or company they are all entitled to a profit and a decent living.

Yes the factory can pass something on at no charge to a user but the factory is looking at their manufacturing costs. When they sell that same part to the service center they make a profit on the part as well. Unless it was needed for a warranty repair.

BTW, we are the ones that extend the warranty service for our products in the USA. If there is a warranty issue during the warranty period we pay the service center for performing the service. Not the factory. In the case of Linhof we extend a 5 year warranty on Linhof cameras, heads and tripods imported by us in the USA even though the factory has a shorter warranty period. If there is a warranty issue after the factory's warranty has expired we still pay for the parts and service.

All is a very big 3 letter word. Most or many would be better choices for a word.

Marky
6-Aug-2018, 04:55
Thomas, if you still follow this thread, I'd like to ask you about how to contact Linhof Factory. I emailed them a few times in the past month asking for a repair estimate but I got no reply - either via their contact form submission or direct email. Do I need to write them in German?

Bob Salomon
6-Aug-2018, 05:52
Thomas, if you still follow this thread, I'd like to ask you about how to contact Linhof Factory. I emailed them a few times in the past month asking for a repair estimate but I got no reply - either via their contact form submission or direct email. Do I need to write them in German?
Just use the telephone. They have English speakers there.

JMO
6-Aug-2018, 07:50
I have emailed the factory in Munich with questions two times in the past 3-4 years, and each time got a fairly quick and helpful reply. Once was about those red and green plastic bits that go into the levers of the Technikarden 45S (for which there is a parts number to order replacements under), and then once on how to configure and use one of their older-style compendium shades (for which there is apparently no printed instructions). I am lucky to live near Bob Watkins at Precision Camera in Skokie IL for times when I actually need any type of repair to my Linhof cameras or gear.