PDA

View Full Version : Universal Heliar 360mm wich Filter size

Armin Seeholzer
25-Jun-2004, 15:43
I just got my Universal Heliar 360mm really a nice dream of a lens. Now my question is the Filter tread is it 93mm or 94mm. I did nowhere find this info! Thanks in advance!

Steve Hamley
25-Jun-2004, 16:48
Armin,

Congratulatons! I have a mint coated one which I got not long ago. I decided to have S. K. Grimes make a 105mm adapter for it. You could go 98mm, but it seems 105mm filters are more common. I also had a hard plastic rear lens cap made since the original can contact the rear element, not that the velvet would mark it.

Steve

Armin Seeholzer
26-Jun-2004, 03:09
Mine is uncoated from 1933 but in a very good condition but I still not know wich Filter size it has.

Steve Hamley
26-Jun-2004, 13:32
Armin,

Pardon me, I didn't answer the question properly. I'm not sure of the thread size, but I believe that it is not a standard filter size. You might call or e-mail S. K. Grimes and ask since Adam made the adaptor for me, or just try filters to see.

Steve

Henry Suryo
27-Jun-2004, 18:01
Hi Armin, I don't know the answer to your question, but was wondering if you or Steve can share your thoughts on the lens. What is your favorite setting on the soft focus setting? How about stopped-down aperture? Which has the smoothest but sharp look, not fuzzy halos, using the 0 setting wide open or the 5 setting stopped down or somewhere in between? How do you tell the early vintage or later ones? Thanks in advance, Henry

Armin Seeholzer
28-Jun-2004, 03:24
Hi Henry

I don't have it one a lens panel now it has to go to Sinar first for mounting on one. But meanwile I wanted to buy a Polfilter so I can use the lens wide open with my flashlight in the studio! So mine is a 1933 version without any coatings and thad was what I was looking for! So no expirience till now!

Tom Diekwisch
1-Jul-2004, 22:05
Mine has 92mm metric.

Armin Seeholzer
2-Jul-2004, 15:25
Tom have you really put a 92mm filter on it? I think its more like 93 ore 94mm. I need to ask Steve Grimes company!