PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom 5 anybody using it yet?

Tin Can
10-Jun-2013, 17:08
I am trying it now. So far I really like. I was no whiz at LR 3 or 4, but 5 seems easier.

Converted a color DSLR image to B&W and there are many adjustable presets.

Clarify is a neat tool, that seems to provide quick sharpness or not, with a single slider.

I may not need PS soon...

Kirk Gittings
10-Jun-2013, 17:16
I'm using it-not much change really from 4-the radial filter, image scalier which are cool but not dramatic additions. No changes in b&w converter or Clarify from 4. Minor update IMO. Doesn't get me anywhere closer to not also using PS.

Jac@stafford.net
10-Jun-2013, 18:20
Of what use is LR to a large format photographer who makes real prints?
Just asking.

Tin Can
10-Jun-2013, 18:35
Well Jac, it seems many here scan...

I would love to see a survey of digital printers, contact printers, enlarger printers and the never printers.

This is the Digital Processing section of LFF.

Just asking.

Kirk Gittings
10-Jun-2013, 18:50
Just asking.

pathetic attempt at trolling......are we out of high school yet?

KenM
10-Jun-2013, 18:54
Of what use is LR to a large format photographer who makes silver gelatin prints, which are just one of many different types of prints that can be made. Although, we all know that it's the final product that matters, regardless of the technique or materials used to create it.

There, fixed that for you.

Personally, I don't use LR for my 4x5 negs, as I find the large file size bogs the program down (and I'm on a Mac Pro with 8 cores and lots of memory). If I need to do something digitally, I use PS for these large files.

Lachlan 717
10-Jun-2013, 20:46
Just asking.

Google "Digital Negatives".

Light Guru
10-Jun-2013, 21:23
Personally, I don't use LR for my 4x5 negs, as I find the large file size bogs the program down (and I'm on a Mac Pro with 8 cores and lots of memory). If I need to do something digitally, I use PS for these large files.

For a high quality scan of 4x5 or larger negative yes that is true. What I started to do is after developing the negatives I so a quick scan of ALL of them weather they are a keeper image or not. Then I can go in and add metadata about each one like exposure settings Dev info, location, other notes etc. I can then also keyword the images. The file name I give the basic scan is then written onto the negative storage envelope. This lets you match up the negative with the your digital reference file.

Brian Ellis
10-Jun-2013, 21:38
Just asking.

What's a "real print?" Just asking

Light Guru
11-Jun-2013, 07:43

Some people think only wet darkroom prints are "real prints". Perhaps they should read the definition of the word print.

paulr
11-Jun-2013, 07:48
pathetic attempt at trolling......are we out of high school yet?

Welcome back, Kirk!

I knew there would be advantages to your retirement from moderation.

paulr
11-Jun-2013, 07:50
Any change in rendering speed? My biggest irritation with LR4 is processing time, even on a fast machine.

Kirk Gittings
11-Jun-2013, 09:47
Welcome back, Kirk!

I knew there would be advantages to your retirement from moderation.

:)

Kirk Gittings
11-Jun-2013, 09:49
That only shows up on my machine when I am doing some extended use receptively with a tool like the heal brush removing a lot of pebbles on say a sidewalk. Unfortunately I have not had a need to test that yet but will in the next couple of days. I will let you know.

redrockcoulee
11-Jun-2013, 11:14

woodcut, wood engraving, lithographic, serigraph, mesotint or etching :)

At least that may be what my wife the printmaker says along with her prints from the Epson 4880 or what she prints in our darkroom

But the most real prints are what a dog or cat that has been in the mud leaves on white bedspreads

Tin Can
11-Jun-2013, 11:18
trace

woodcut, wood engraving, lithographic, serigraph, mesotint or etching :)

At least that may be what my wife the printmaker says along with her prints from the Epson 4880 or what she prints in our darkroom

But the most real prints are what a dog or cat that has been in the mud leaves on white bedspreads

Kimberly Anderson
11-Jun-2013, 13:51
Got it the other day. No biggie.

Noah B
12-Jun-2013, 08:54
Just got it this morning, looks like they changed the typeface of the "r", nothing big. :P I love lightroom, I use it to edit my photos, then when I want to print I use photoshop. They are like laurel and hardy, minus all fo the fine messes.

Pitcherman
12-Jun-2013, 11:15
I use lightroom everyday mainly for the stuff that I make my living from. I have found nothing better for dealing with digital files whether captures or scans. The algorithms get better and better and with 4 I have never had a problem with processing speed. I confess I freak out every time I see how amazingly good the prints are that I get from LR4 and my rink-dink printer. Maybe they aren't "REEEEEAAAAALLL PPRRRIINTS", but they aren't supposed to be. And these new Canson inkjet papers are the bomb.

Brian Ellis
12-Jun-2013, 16:16
Some people think only wet darkroom prints are "real prints". Perhaps they should read the definition of the word print.

Really? Why would they think that?

jonreid
12-Jun-2013, 16:24
Just asking.

If your workflow sees you taking your freshly dried negative into a darkroom for printing in an analogue process then Lightroom is of no use to you. It's a digital imaging program. Hope this helps.

Jon