PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Field Fresnel? What's up? Any owners out there?

JW Dewdney
6-Jun-2013, 15:13
I have a Toyo 45AX field that only came into my hands recently - and after messing with it a bit - I noticed that it could really use a fresnel lens. After checking the manufacturer's blurb about the AX model - apparently it should have come with one built in. After looking at some of the GGs of toyo fields online - it's not clear to me if there is an actual fresnel that comes with the camera or just something integrated with the GG that functions in a similar way... but I see no concentric circles or other plastic based layer on the outside of the glass that would lead me to think there IS one - at least on this camera. Can anyone tip me off as to what might be going on here? The illumination into the corners isn't so great... so I could really use something to help out with that... thanks

JW Dewdney
6-Jun-2013, 15:17
update: okay hmmm... after viewing some pics online and seeing what LOOKS like a fresnel was on the interior of the GG - i decided to have a quick boo... and yes - sure enough there seems to be something (very thin) on the interior... is this not a really awful place to put it? Anyone know if this throws off focus (i presume not) or is the GG/fresnel just shimmed out to compensate? - and more importantly - is there a BETTER GG/Fresnel solution out there if I want better illumination?

biedron
6-Jun-2013, 17:19
update: okay hmmm... after viewing some pics online and seeing what LOOKS like a fresnel was on the interior of the GG - i decided to have a quick boo... and yes - sure enough there seems to be something (very thin) on the interior... is this not a really awful place to put it? Anyone know if this throws off focus (i presume not) or is the GG/fresnel just shimmed out to compensate? - and more importantly - is there a BETTER GG/Fresnel solution out there if I want better illumination?

The placement of the fresnel differs from manufacturer to manufacturer. On a Toyo 45 AX the fresnel should be closest to the lens.

If you want a brighter-than-stock GG, Google "maxwell screen" and get out your credit card :)

JW Dewdney
6-Jun-2013, 17:22
yeah thanks - I'm familiar with the maxwell screens - looks like it would be a whole lot more effective to pick up a second hand reflex hood or something of the sort... so I might go that way first and see how it goes... thanks again

biedron
6-Jun-2013, 17:29
When I had a Toyo 45AX I liked the reflex viewer very much. The problem is that it is bulky (not at all heavy - it just takes up a lot of space). Depending on your style/what you shoot, that may or may not be a hinderance.

Bob

JW Dewdney
6-Jun-2013, 17:39
When I had a Toyo 45AX I liked the reflex viewer very much. The problem is that it is bulky (not at all heavy - it just takes up a lot of space). Depending on your style/what you shoot, that may or may not be a hinderance.

Bob

Wow - not when you're used to dragging a sinar P2 kit around...!!! This is a god send.... I could never validate buying a field camera when i have three studio 4x5s sitting around in cases (previously used for architectural duties) but honestly there were a lot of places I never took them because it seemed a pain in the neck... so this opens up a whole new world for me... I give it a whirl though. thanks

Louis Pacilla
6-Jun-2013, 19:58

Bob

Wow - not when you're used to dragging a sinar P2 kit around...!!! This is a god send.... I could never validate buying a field camera when i have three studio 4x5s sitting around in cases (previously used for architectural duties) but honestly there were a lot of places I never took them because it seemed a pain in the neck... so this opens up a whole new world for me... I give it a whirl though. thanks

I think Bobs "bulky comment" was directed towards the Relex finder he used with his AX.
I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to say the Toyo AXII was bulky.:eek:

JW Dewdney
6-Jun-2013, 20:10
I think Bobs "bulky comment" was directed towards the Relex finder he used with his AX.

Yes - you're QUITE right. I think I just read his reply way too fast..! Yes - I guess especially compared to the size of the folded camera it would almost negate the advantage of using a field camera in the first place. seems.

welly
6-Jun-2013, 21:26
I just got the reflex viewer for my Toyo 45AX. It's great! I really like it. But without that, I find the fresnel fine to work with. It's pretty well invisible when I'm using my 4x loupe on it, with my 8x loupe, the concentric circles are quite visible but I'm getting used to it.

biedron
6-Jun-2013, 21:46

Right, bulky in the sense that the viewfinder takes as much (or more) space as the camera itself. If you are carrying it into the field, the extra bulk becomes an issue, at least for me it did.

Bob