PDA

View Full Version : Painting for a wooden camera

vinny
5-Jun-2013, 14:20
So, I'm quite a ways into this new 8x10 project and I'd like to paint the wooden parts myself. So far it's all baltic birch (some coated with West Systems epoxy/fiberglass cloth, some not). I don't want to see brush strokes and was thinking flat black. I do have a cheapo hvlp gun. I need a finish that's weather resistant and durable. I don't think rust o leum is up to the challenge and would rather not buy any more equipment if I don't have to. Are there suitable high quality aerosols available?

Anybody have experience with this sort of thing?

Daniel Stone
5-Jun-2013, 14:23
what about sending it out for the painting? any good furniture shops around you that could do it?

-Dan

Peter Gomena
5-Jun-2013, 15:48
Auto body paint?

BarryS
5-Jun-2013, 15:54
Maybe you can work something out with Eddie if he's still doing auto body work. Automotive paint and coatings have the most advanced technology available and are designed for durability and weather resistance.

vinny
5-Jun-2013, 17:51
I need to do the work myself, that's part of why I took on this project. Auto paint may be advanced but for wood?

Alan Gales
5-Jun-2013, 18:50
Take it out to Count's Customs in Vegas and have Horny Mike do a flame job on it with some skulls.

Oh, don't forget the horns!

el french
5-Jun-2013, 19:00
Epoxy paints may be the best. I just did a quick search and found this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/197/56502/ITEM/PJ1-Fast-Black-Epoxy-Paint.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA197&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw={keyword}&gclid=CL3Z9buqzrcCFcU5QgodQmAATA

Nathan Potter
5-Jun-2013, 19:04
Vinny, I've used black crinkle in pressure spray cans touted as high temperature. Found it very durable. One disadvantage is that the softer part of plywood yields a different degree of crinkle than the harder grain.
Check this out on your wood scraps before using.

I actually used the crinkle finish on an enlarger lamp house.

Nate Potter, Austin TX

IanG
6-Jun-2013, 00:54
Like Nathan I use the Crinkle finish in some restorations, I'd suggest an undercoat of primer followed by satin black first - that helps eliminate differances bewteen types of wood or metal.

Sounds like in this case satin black automoble paint would be the best.

Ian

evan clarke
6-Jun-2013, 04:27
Yep, the crinkle finish is pretty good. Vinny, will you be at Bill's? If so, are you bringing the cam? I'll have my 8x10 Cham with me..EC

vinny
6-Jun-2013, 05:19
Thanks guys. I'll look into the spray cans of car paint i remember seeing. I know what you mean about the different grain taking the finish on. I may just do a light coat of epoxy on all the parts then sand it to get a uniform finish.
Evan, i'll be up on wednesday. I'd love to see your camera as mine won't likely be done.