PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Tilt/Pan Head 77

mihag
5-Jun-2013, 11:56
Is it wise to purchase this Linhof Head along with the Kardan camera for indoor and outdoor use? I know the movements of the head in question are limited but I dislike ball heads?

Thanks,

Miha

Bob Salomon
5-Jun-2013, 12:11
Which Linhof are you buying? A GT mounts directly to the dovetail and needs nothing else to mount the camera. Most other Linhofs will need an accessory QR plate for the head.

This head tilts 90° down, you slide the camera off the head and re-insert it in the opposite direction if you need to tilt up. It levels 15° side to side and has 360° of panning (not calibrated).

It is very strong, rather compact (except for the twin rails for the tilt).

Many other users prefer one of the 3-Way Leveling Heads from Linhof. Several models are available. The latest version is available with either an Arca QR plate mount or a Linhof Quickfix mount. The original version came with a thread mount. The geared Linhof 3-Way Leveling Head is available in either an Arca mount version or a Linhof Quickfix version.

The first three of these heads are essentially unlimited in movement with 360° movement in each plane with a seperate lock for each plane.

mihag
5-Jun-2013, 12:23
Which Linhof are you buying?
A Kardan re. I understand it (the rail) mounts directly to this head?

This head tilts 90° down, you slide the camera off the head and re-insert it in the opposite direction if you need to tilt up. It levels 15° side to side and has 360° of panning (not calibrated).
I didn't know it levels side to side. This makes qute a difference.

Many other users prefer one of the 3-Way Leveling Heads from Linhof. Several models are available. The latest version is available with either an Arca QR plate mount or a Linhof Quickfix mount. The original version came with a thread mount. The geared Linhof 3-Way Leveling Head is available in either an Arca mount version or a Linhof Quickfix version.

The first three of these heads are essentially unlimited in movement with 360° movement in each plane with a seperate lock for each plane.

Can you make a suggestion? I would like a no fuss head that mounts directly. What's an Arca plate? Sorry if my questions sound a bit confused but I'm new to LF and there are many terms new to me. (in MF and 35mm everything mouns directly or via a quick releas plate)

Bob Salomon
5-Jun-2013, 12:40
....Can you make a suggestion? I would like a no fuss head that mounts directly. What's an Arca plate? Sorry if my questions sound a bit confused but I'm new to LF and there are many terms new to me. (in MF and 35mm everything mouns directly or via a quick releas plate)

An Arca plate is a type of quick release plate just like the Quickfix is a type of quick release plate.

One of the beauties of the RE/GT, etc. from Linhof is that the rail itself is an 18" long quick release plate when used on the Leveling/Tilt head. So it is very convenient to slide the whole camera along the head once the lens to film distance is set. that saves trying to reposition the tripod with the camera on it foward and back.

So for the Re I would use the head you originally asked about.

mihag
5-Jun-2013, 12:46
One of the beauties of the RE/GT, etc. from Linhof is that the rail itself is an 18" long quick release plate when used on the Leveling/Tilt head. So it is very convenient to slide the whole camera along the head once the lens to film distance is set. that saves trying to reposition the tripod with the camera on it foward and back.

So for the Re I would use the head you originally asked about.

Nice to know. Thank you!

C_Remington
5-Jun-2013, 12:54
Get a leveling base

mihag
5-Jun-2013, 13:01
Get a leveling base

I'm afraid I'm not sure what are you reffering to.

Bob Salomon
5-Jun-2013, 13:03
Get a leveling base

All of the heads mentioned are Linhof leveling base heads.

mihag
5-Jun-2013, 13:06
I see. Thanks for clarifying.

mihag
2-Sep-2013, 12:21
I've got the head today and can recommend it highly. It's superbly made and the monorail slides inside the rails buttery smooth. The head fits nicely on a Manfrotto 057 tripod.