PDA

View Full Version : Aperture Stuck

photoevangelist
4-Jun-2013, 20:04
I just got a Kodak 3a in the mail today. It has a Kodak Diodak shutter. The aperture is stuck on f6.3. The dial won't close down even a wee bit. Anyone have any DIY ideas what I can do to get this fixed or should I take it to a professional?

Jon Shiu
4-Jun-2013, 20:11
Give it a squirt of lighter fluid.

Jon

photoevangelist
4-Jun-2013, 20:21
Where would I give it a squirt of lighter fluid? Is there a website with a tutorial? Reminder it's the aperture that's jammed not the shutter. The shutter seems to be functioning well.

SergeiR
4-Jun-2013, 20:36
I used kerosine/lighter fluid along the app ring to get out all the gunk/loosed up.. theoretically WD40 could be even better, but i am not all that keen of fish oil ;)

Just make sure you not dripping this stuff on leaves of apperture itself (albeit sometime its the only way).

Jon Shiu
4-Jun-2013, 20:56
Well first make sure the aperture blades are metal or rubber. If something else, they may be damaged by lighter fluid.

There is usually a rotating ring that controls the aperture. Often there will be a pointer that moves when you push it. The pointer is connected to, actually part of, the ring. The ring is gunked in place by old grease. The aperture blades also may be gunked. The lighter fluid will loosen it.

Jon

Jim C.
4-Jun-2013, 21:40
Can you see the aperture blades ?
I'd remove the front element and set the shutter at T to see if there is any
warped, broken or jammed blades.

Leigh
5-Jun-2013, 08:14
theoretically WD40 could be even better, but i am not all that keen of fish oil ;)
I don't understand the "fish oil" comment.

WD40 is paraffin (a type of wax) in a solvent. The solvent evaporates, leaving the paraffin.
It's designed to protect products from water, but it works well as a lubricant also.

- Leigh

Drew Bedo
5-Jun-2013, 12:02
I would get it CLA'd by a competant technician. Anything you do at home will either not work or make it worse.

Bob Salomon
5-Jun-2013, 12:46
I would get it CLA'd by a competant technician. Anything you do at home will either not work or make it worse.

Especially if you start spraying stuff that tenaciously sticks to what it is sprayed on to. WD 40, for instance.