PDA

View Full Version : Sliding focusing lupe

Jean-Louis Llech
23-Jun-2004, 06:38
Wista manufactures for the RF,VX,SP and DXIII cameras a device fixed to the focusing screen frame.
The 5x lupe can be moved upwards and downwards on the focusing screen, without being hand held.
Both hands are free for focusing and other movements.
The exact name is "Wista Sliding Magnifier Focusing Attachment".
I would like to know if this device is only for Wista LF cameras or if it can be attached on other cameras. The attachment doesn't look like a Graflok.
Is it really as useful as it seems ?

Andrew_4548
31-May-2006, 14:08
I'll resurrect this one as I've been looking at the same item.
I am not getting any joy with easily setting up swings and tilts on my Ebony and have tried jewelers loupes, clip-on magnifiers for my spectacles etc. The best focusing option so far is my Silvestri 4x but I haven't got three hands...

Any opinions on the Wista article fitting non Wista cameras and it's usefulness or should I try to design / make my own?

Slade Zumhofe
1-Jun-2006, 08:11
I have never used one of these but just took a look at it at b&h. At first glance it really seems like a great idea--looks like it attaches to the back much like a focusing hood would with the two pins that also act as a hinge. My concern is two things--the price is outrageous for this sort of item. At $240US that seems very expensive to not have to hold your loupe. My main concern is in LF the most difficult and often most critical area of the gg to focus is in the corners. At times you are required to tilt your loupe and move off the corner slightly to see everything and get enough light to fine focus. This item seems to limit the movement of the loupe to a point quite a distance from the corners. You could swing the device out of the way and focus in the corners by hand but again--at this price it seems to be more of a pain than it should be.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has actually used this or something similar as the idea is right--just not sure about the design.

bill proud
1-Jun-2006, 08:39
Hey,

I haven't used the loupe but wanted to comment on using loupes and my technique. It may help, may not.

I use a Schneider 4X. I bought a regular glasses cord, which is stronger than the rubber cord that came with the loupe. It hangs around my neck and the cord is long enough for the loupe to fit in the upper pocket of my vest if I want.

Three hands would be great but since I'm limited to only two I hold the loupe between thumb and first finger and tilt the back with my ring and baby fingers. The other hand does the fine focusing and lock down.

I don't check corners. I pick something in the middle foreground, focus on that, and then assume that the corners are okay. Maybe this is flawed thinking but so far it has worked for me.

good luck

Bob Salomon
1-Jun-2006, 09:06
Wista manufactures for the RF,VX,SP and DXIII cameras a device fixed to the focusing screen frame.
The 5x lupe can be moved upwards and downwards on the focusing screen, without being hand held.
Both hands are free for focusing and other movements.
The exact name is "Wista Sliding Magnifier Focusing Attachment".
I would like to know if this device is only for Wista LF cameras or if it can be attached on other cameras. The attachment doesn't look like a Graflok.
Is it really as useful as it seems ?

It will only fit a Wista. It really works well and I may bring one to the Large Format Show in Rockford next week if anyone going wants to see it.

It is nothing like a Graflok fitting. It is closest to the fitting on the Linhof for the Focus/Meter bellows and the right Angle Focusing Hood.

Bob Salomon
1-Jun-2006, 09:07
"Wista manufactures for the RF,VX,SP and DXIII"

As an aside the factory has just announced that the VX is no longer in production.

Andrew_4548
1-Jun-2006, 14:25
Bill,

Thanks for that but the only problem I have is that I want to tilt the front standard as I generally want to keep the verticals true for buildings. It is possible to do it but I find it's a bind not being able to do easily...

I guess I've been spoilt and I'm pining for my old gear as previously I used a Sinar P2 which is a doddle to set up with the asymetrics and transferring the measurements from the rear to front standard.

Bob, it looks like I'm out of luck with adapting the Wista bit so I'll revert to plan A - struggle on ;) and as I'm in the UK it might be a bit difficult coming to the show for a look :(. Thanks for the offer.

Andrew

Hiro
1-Jun-2006, 21:31
I too have looked at the sliding loupe, got curious again, shot an e-mail to Wista, and here's the response.

It can be used with non-Wista cameras but not with everything (their website lists a separate part# for Linhof as well). It consists of two hinged parts, and the bottom frame is attached to the back with adhesive...well, they kindly sent me some photos.

When necessary, I use my face (the lens of my glasses) to press the loupe on the GG while my right hand is on the focusing knob and left hand on the front standard. The "rubber boots" on Toyo loupe are a plus in this situation.