PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Lens Caps

mdm
3-Jun-2013, 02:54
Where would be the best place to get replacement lens caps? I lost the cap for my best lens, which takes a 67mm filter, traipsing around a peat bog this afternoon. Put my home made shade on instead and promptly lost that too. Not a good day for lenscaps, but good light so a success overall.

David

jonreid
3-Jun-2013, 03:55
B+H for slip on metal ones

vinny
3-Jun-2013, 04:43
I get mine from b&h as well.
Also check this extensive thread:http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?96228-Lens-Cap-Replacements&highlight=Replacement+lens+caps

biedron
3-Jun-2013, 09:16
For the plastic slip-on kind, I like the Kaiser ones - in some cases they fit much better than the OEM ones. I get mine from B&H.

Ian Gordon Bilson
3-Jun-2013, 22:20
Find a random 67mm filter in your parts bin, and use it for protection only ?

mdm
4-Jun-2013, 00:49
Thanks. Actually, its a killer. No hope of getting even a generic replacement locally. Postage from B&H is always high. $49 on a $12 lens cap, and it goes up when you add film to make it worth while. Maybe a filter and a generic pinch cap for now, the front element is too convex for pinch cap alone.

Got a pinch cap for NZD4+1.5 postage. However it just wont feel right.

Heroique
4-Jun-2013, 03:05
…traipsing around a peat bog this afternoon. Put my home made shade on instead and promptly lost that too. Not a good day for lens caps, but good light so a success overall.

David, last time I was in a bog, I lost a slip-on rubber cover for a tripod foot. Got sucked into the deep. It’s probably down in your part of the world by now, so let me know if you see it. Up here, I’ll keep a lookout for your lens cap and shade. Glad your light was good...

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2013, 03:36
New Zealand Photo Warehouse Ltd.
175 GT North Rd.
Ponsonby-Auckland Tel +64 9 3032148
Fax +64 9 3099721
E-mail: webmail@photowarehouse.co.nz
Internet: www.photowarehouse.co.nz

They are the Kaiser distributor in New Zealand. Ask them for a Kaiser slip-on cap.

mdm
4-Jun-2013, 10:37
Dealing with photowarehouse is one step worse than purgatory, with pricing on the high end of the pearly gates. But maybe, I will give them a try. Their website is not backed up with stock. In fact, the last time I ordered photo chemicals from them, online, thats all that happened. No charge, no chemicals, no contact. Trying to buy an arca compatible plate to mount on a camera was an episode of Fawlty Towers.

vinny
4-Jun-2013, 11:38
bummer man, sounds like you need a friend in the states that's willing to ship you stuff

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2013, 11:40
There is also a Kaiser distributor in Australia.

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2013, 11:41
Dealing with photowarehouse is one step worse than purgatory, with pricing on the high end of the pearly gates. But maybe, I will give them a try. Their website is not backed up with stock. In fact, the last time I ordered photo chemicals from them, online, thats all that happened. No charge, no chemicals, no contact. Trying to buy an arca compatible plate to mount on a camera was an episode of Fawlty Towers.

Why not just call them?

Drew Bedo
5-Jun-2013, 12:09
I go to a local camera shop (/Camera Co-Op on Durham in Houston) and get snap on lens caps that fit my 67mm lenses. Used ones work as well as new ones and are very inexpensive when available. When working outdoors each of my lenses has a UV or Skylight filter on with the lens cap over that. Filters come off when I fee comfortable, but mostly stay on.

In a pinch, there are disposable food covers that may fit over and protect your glass.

Austrailia you say? Tried B&H? It can't be that hard to get a few lens caps mailed in . . .or am I really of the mark?

As an digression: At a collector's club i go to sometimes a member brings in a really rare and/or valuable lens that gets passed around. I have notices that often the lens cap remaines in the hands of the owner as half the value of the rarity is in the lens cap!

Liquid Artist
5-Jun-2013, 15:08
I know that it doesn't help you now, but when I'm where I can never recover a lost lens cap I'll often grab out a flip cap.
http://optechusa.com/fast-cap.html
I'm not that fond of them in every day situations, but they're the cats meow in the rugged stuf.

JW Dewdney
5-Jun-2013, 17:22
always found the 'junk bins' at most photo shops to be most helpful in this regard... in case you have some nearby...

John Koehrer
8-Jun-2013, 16:45
There are a number of articles online on how to make a cap using leather and mount board.
Doesn't really take too long.

Otto Seaman
8-Jun-2013, 17:33
bummer man, sounds like you need a friend in the states that's willing to ship you stuff

Finding a friend might be the hard part given his rudeness....