PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my lens 5ft onto concrete!

nimo956
1-Jun-2013, 16:59
In a spectacular move of stupidity, I decided to move my entire camera setup to a second location after taking a shot, rather than disassembling and reassembling everything. The clips that fasten in the lensboard to the camera weren't tightened all the way, or came loose, and my Rodenstock Sinaron-S 150mm fell 5 ft. from my camera onto the pavement! Upon inspecting the lens, however, there doesn't appear to be any significant damage to it (talk about German engineering!). The corner or the lensboard has a little chip, and the rear element has a slight dent on the edge where the lens cap goes. The glass appears to be fine and the shutter sounds like it's working correctly. Is there anything else I should check to make sure the lens is ok? Could anything have happened internally? Thanks for your help.

Ian Greenhalgh
1-Jun-2013, 17:48
I reckon it will be alright. I've dropped a few lenses and tey till worked. I only use old all metal lenses so they are mostly built to take abuse. I dropped a Russian Tair-3C on my kitchen floor a couple of years ago. It shattered one of my Italian stone tiles. Tair was still fine, didn't do more than scratch the enamel a little.

HT Finley
1-Jun-2013, 17:52
If there's bound to be a problem it would show up pretty soon. Otherwise, be glad enough. It could have ended worse. Might have even knocked some lint from the center out to the edges, which is always good.

Don Dudenbostel
1-Jun-2013, 18:59
I destroyed a 121 super angulon. I had the lens on a Technika board and has a Technika adapter on my Sinar Norma. I arrived at my job location and opened my case and lifted the camera to my tripod. As I placed it on the tripod the lens fell from the camera. Vibration had loosened the clip that secured the Technika board in the adapter. The lens fell on its back cell at an angle on concrete. It too fell about 5 ft. When it hit it shattered two elements in the back and seriously bent the mount. I retired the lens but a few years later found a 121 that the front had.been destroyed. I bought it and mated the two good parts but discovered it had warped the shutter.

I sent the lens to Schneider in California. They disassembled, cleaned And optimized the two groups and replaced the shutter. I don't remember the cost but it was reasonable and I wound up with an almost new lens.

HT Finley
1-Jun-2013, 22:23
I destroyed a 121 super angulon. I had the lens on a Technika board and has a Technika adapter on my Sinar Norma. I arrived at my job location and opened my case and lifted the camera to my tripod. As I placed it on the tripod the lens fell from the camera. Vibration had loosened the clip that secured the Technika board in the adapter. The lens fell on its back cell at an angle on concrete. It too fell about 5 ft. When it hit it shattered two elements in the back and seriously bent the mount. I retired the lens but a few years later found a 121 that the front had.been destroyed. I bought it and mated the two good parts but discovered it had warped the shutter.

I sent the lens to Schneider in California. They disassembled, cleaned And optimized the two groups and replaced the shutter. I don't remember the cost but it was reasonable and I wound up with an almost new lens.

Whatcha want to bet they didn't just swap out your serial number ring onto a new lens and send it back to you?