PDA

View Full Version : Cable Release Woes

armentor1@mac.com
30-May-2013, 10:07
I was making a long exposure a few nights ago. After 5 hours or so I went back to close the lens and realized that my cable release had taken it upon itself to shorten my exposure. It had failed and was no longer holding the shutter open. For whatever reason the pin no longer extends long enough to push in the shutter release. It is a fairly new cable and i've used it many times successfully. Is there something I'm missing about these things? do they just fail every so often?

It is pretty wild how many things can go wrong in the lf world. I don't know how you guys did this commercially years ago.
All in all I still got a very thin neg that I can work with

thanks-
dave

www.thesugarmillsessions.com

Jon Shiu
30-May-2013, 10:12
Sometimes what happens is the casing separates from the ends effectively lengthening itself. If so, you can try gluing it back together.

Jon

DrTang
30-May-2013, 10:50
I and understand it

cable releases are like guitar cords - the weakest link in the whole expensive system

and don't get me started on PC cords

Daniel Stone
30-May-2013, 11:36
Does your shutter have a 'T' setting? If so, for long exposures I'd recommend that instead of using 'B' for future reference.

Sorry to hear about your mishap however.
Better luck next time

-Dan

armentor1@mac.com
30-May-2013, 12:33
oh that makes sense - don't know why I never thought of using the t setting.
rookie mistake.

thanks guys
dave

vinny
30-May-2013, 13:12
I use Gepe cable releases. Never any issues.

Curt
30-May-2013, 13:16
I finally bought an Ebony cable release. The long version. It had to be ordered from Japan. It's the best I've seen.

pasiasty
31-May-2013, 02:13
I've got best experience with 'less than $3' ones from China - not only they do their job quite well, but you can buy a dozen an always have a spare.

IanG
31-May-2013, 03:38
My experience is that some of the more expensive cable releases are the least reliable, particularly the plactic covered ones.

A tip for repairing them is to use the heat shrink rubber wire wrap used for electrical wiring. I've revived a few that way, although since then I bought a job lot of 20 for £10/$15.50. I tend to lose them . . . . .

Ian

EOTS
31-May-2013, 05:04
I use cable releases from Gebrüder Schreck.
They are of stunning quality, never had any issues.
I recommend the "plastic" version of the "Professional" model.

Ian, I had the opposite experience ...
I used the "cloth" version before, but if working in a wet environment (waterfall),
the inner pins somehow shortened and releasing did no longer work reliable.
Now with the "plastic" version, it works for years now in any environment...

http://www.drahtauslöser.com/ESITE/
http://www.gebr-schreck.com/ESITE/

Best regards,
Martin

Jim Andrada
31-May-2013, 22:57
+ 1 or more for Schreck. Quick delivery, great quality. and long enough throw for any of my older shutters

Curt
31-May-2013, 23:31
+1 for the Ebony��

Thom Bennett
1-Jun-2013, 11:35
Ah, thank you! I have been looking for this cable release for awhile. We have one in the studio and it is the best cable release I have ever used but I haven't been able to find them in the States.

QUOTE=EOTS;1032515]I use cable releases from Gebrüder Schreck.
They are of stunning quality, never had any issues.
I recommend the "plastic" version of the "Professional" model.

Ian, I had the opposite experience ...
I used the "cloth" version before, but if working in a wet environment (waterfall),
the inner pins somehow shortened and releasing did no longer work reliable.
Now with the "plastic" version, it works for years now in any environment...

http://www.drahtauslöser.com/ESITE/
http://www.gebr-schreck.com/ESITE/

Best regards,
Martin[/QUOTE]

John Kasaian
1-Jun-2013, 12:21
i use gepe cable releases. Never any issues.+1!

Corran
1-Jun-2013, 18:46
My favorite is the Nikon AR-2.

I've picked up three in batches of cable releases on eBay. You can usually find "lots" of 5-6 or more releases, many times with no manufacturers listed on the page, so no one finds them. I think I got 3 different lots with 5-6 releases, each for like $10 shipped for everything. So $2/cable. Quite a deal for the Nikon-brand ones as well as several Bronica-branded ones that work really well. Anyway, my point is - you might find a deal on eBay.

And yes, the "T" setting is your friend.

Cletus
1-Jun-2013, 21:04
Great advice on the German cable releases! Anyone have experience buying these FROM the US?

John Kasaian
1-Jun-2013, 22:43
deleted

John Kasaian
1-Jun-2013, 22:50
I strongly suspect those German cables releases are marketed as Gepes in the US. Gepes (made in Germany) are widely distributed in the US and most photography supplers will have them cataloged. The Gepe "pro" with the Zeiss locking ring and plastic cover has a long enough throw to reliably fire press shutters. Not every modern cable release can do that.:)

Curt
1-Jun-2013, 23:38
Ebony, no confusion on the company or country! Surprise yourself with quality.

Ian Gordon Bilson
2-Jun-2013, 03:18
My finest cable release is Canon branded,about 18 in,cloth sheath. Supple as a ..supple thing.
Some of those vinyl covered releases are very stiff ,and,when cold,seem to transfer movement from the release to the camera,which is contra-indicated.
You can loosen this kind up by carefully removing the plastic covering-just a section in the middle of the cable,without damaging the inner core. Restores the flexibility which is needed for best function.

Bob Salomon
2-Jun-2013, 03:55
I strongly suspect those German cables releases are marketed as Gepes in the US. Gepes (made in Germany) are widely distributed in the US and most photography supplers will have them cataloged. The Gepe "pro" with the Zeiss locking ring and plastic cover has a long enough throw to reliably fire press shutters. Not every modern cable release can do that.:)

Correct. And they are less expensive at a camera store then direct importing them. They are also warrantied by us and we just replace any with a problem.

John Kasaian
2-Jun-2013, 06:39
Correct. And they are less expensive at a camera store then direct importing them. They are also warrantied by us and we just replace any with a problem.

Thank you Mr. Salomon for recommending Gepe to me many years ago when I was in the need of a couple of really good cable releases to fire my Ilex Universals.

Jac@stafford.net
22-May-2014, 13:22
Many cable releases are too short and rigid so that they push the front standard. Those are crap for our use except for long exposures.

I embarked upon an effort to find the best, looking for 'lots' on that auction site and I finally landed a lot of quality releases for a pittance. (Thank Cor for digital making them useless.)

The best are particularly long, of fabric sheathes, with a lock and hardly used.

I was lucky and bought the lot of 30+ released for less than one famous maker.

You can probably do the same.

If you have a long, promising release that has drag, 'notchy' behavior you can try an application of a silicone lubricant but is unlikely to last long.

The waste bin is my friend.

AtlantaTerry
22-May-2014, 22:43
I don't use a "cable release". Instead, I use an air release.

When I squeeze the rubber ball, air moves down a thin tube to a plastic cylinder which screws into the shutter's release socket. I assume inside the cylinder is a piston which moves a short rod that triggers the shutter.

Since there is nothing physical moving inside a sheath, there is no possibility of friction or vibration. Also, I can cut the rubber tube from what the manufacturer supplies to any length that fits my needs.

I've been using these air releases for over 45 years to great success.

Doremus Scudder
23-May-2014, 01:30
To the OP:

Cable-release locks are unreliable. I don't like to use them for long exposures. My preferred method is to simply use the lens cap as a shutter. To minimize shake, pull the cap but leave it blocking the light for a second or so before starting the exposure. Or, you can use "T" if you have it for longer than just a few-second exposure.

Best,

Doremus