PDA

View Full Version : Itinerant workshop instructor

Bruce Barlow
29-May-2013, 06:03
As I travel the country living in a Chevy Express cargo van, it occurs to me that I can bring workshops to you.

I'm packing a Wista 4x5, a Richard Ritter 5x7, and all the trimmings. A Nikon D80 is the workhorse so far.

"LF Basics" is easy. My "Composition Intensive" is easy, and both are easily tailored to meet your wants.

I'll be starting the Western Tour after July 4th, crossing the Mississippi up north around then, basically going counter-clockwise around the country. I'm in the Chicago area at the moment, headed to Door County this weekend.

Nominal fees, only because people don't value free stuff. I don't need the money, but would enjoy meeting and spending time with you and your friends.

No set schedule, but if you're interested, contact me and we'll try to figure something out.

Might be fun.

As Richard's chief salesperson, if you'd like to see a Ritter camera, and are out west, let me know. I don't have the 8x10 with me, but the 5x7 is mighty fine. No charge, and I don't get any commission from Richard. He's just a good friend and I want him to be able to buy groceries.

And for all you ULF folks, I promised Richard I wouldn't tell about his latest venture until he's ready...

Kirk Gittings
29-May-2013, 07:38
Have camera will travel...............

Nathan Potter
29-May-2013, 09:41
Bruce, good to hear from you. Traveling workshop - seems like a brilliant idea.

I hope your summer excursion is photographically productive. I've done similar to great advantage but of course with some disappointments mixed in.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Light Guru
29-May-2013, 09:49
Sounds kinds interesting but you really should give a basic outline of what you would be teaching and more specific info of where you are going to be traveling to.

Bill Kumpf
29-May-2013, 09:57
Keep us posted on your travels and timing............

Bruce Barlow
29-May-2013, 14:09
Zak -

Check the TOCs posted for my two books for a sampling of what I could offer. Better yet, tell me what you're interested in, and I'll tell you honestly whether it's in my kit bag.

As far as where I am when? Better to express interest and tell me where you are, and then we can figure out a schedule. I have no schedule and no set destination, other than I'm headed west of Chicago in a month or so.

Follow the adventure at www.quantumburp.wordpress.com

barnninny
29-May-2013, 21:42
If you find yourself crossing that big river again down Memphis way, I'd be interested.

Rick Russell
29-May-2013, 21:55
If your travels take you to Southern California I would be very interested.

Rick Russell
richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

David Karp
29-May-2013, 22:09
Me too if the timing is right! I would love to see that Ritter 5x7 too.

RichardRitter
30-May-2013, 04:29
Me too if the timing is right! I would love to see that Ritter 5x7 too.

The 5 x 7 is a prototype camera. Which has to have more design work done on it before I am happy with it. That said I have not worked on the camera for two years due to the lack of capital to keep working on it.

Bruce Barlow
30-May-2013, 05:38
It may be a prototype, but it sure is cool!

Eric Biggerstaff
30-May-2013, 08:07
Let me know if you make it out to Colorado, perhaps we can meet for some image making.

Have safe travels!

Eric

Wayne Aho
30-May-2013, 08:38
Good luck Bruce. I'll bet Richard's camera will long outlast your chevy van!

Wayne

Light Guru
30-May-2013, 09:30
Zak -

Check the TOCs posted for my two books for a sampling of what I could offer. Better yet, tell me what you're interested in, and I'll tell you honestly whether it's in my kit bag.

As far as where I am when? Better to express interest and tell me where you are, and then we can figure out a schedule. I have no schedule and no set destination, other than I'm headed west of Chicago in a month or so.

Follow the adventure at www.quantumburp.wordpress.com

What do you mean "TOCs"?

I looked at the site for a couple minutes and its seemed rather random definitely not focused on photography. Nether your burp website or the one in your signature show me any examples of your work.

You say you are heading west of Chicago that's extremely broad.

My point is you say your going to be give some workshops but you tell me nothing about what kind of photographer you are what you would be teaching or where exactly you will be teaching.

Just saying Im headed west hit me up and pay me for a workshop tells people nothing.

People want to know what they are going to get for that money. People also need to EXACTLY when and where these workshops will be.

If you want to give workshops then you need to put MUCH more thought into it. Just saying I'm headed west hit me up for a workshop does not cut it.

Sal Santamaura
30-May-2013, 10:07
What do you mean "TOCs"?...Plural of the initialism "TOC," which stands for table of contents.

Bruce Barlow
31-May-2013, 06:21
Thanks, Sal.

Zak, based on your kindness in the post, I'll pass on your neck of the woods.

In 12 years of workshop teaching, following your advice guarantees that I'll teach what people don't want to learn in a place where they won't come. Which means I won't teach at all, since no one would be there. Many "Cancelled for lack of interest" dates and places litter the path of my past. I also have little wiggle room for promotion and marketing, living in a Chevy van, further cementing failure. But thanks for the suggestions.

Now, other folks who have PM'ed me (nicely) have been wonderfully creative and flexible in thinking about what they may want. That's cool. I greatly prefer to tailor what I do in a workshop to meet specific desires.

So, having given it no thought, as Zak asserts, it seems to me that folks express interest, and give me some ideas on what they might want to learn. Based on where they are, and a rough guess of when I'll be nearby (or choose to be nearby), we can agree on duration and dates (I can, and have, taught morning workshops, three day, and week-long workshops). Then, we can post the dates and locations, and ask folks to come. But for now, it's about my trip, not about locking myself into a schedule beforehand for the purpose of teaching workshops. If we can make it work within a larger umbrella of my wandering, that's great. It would add a richness to my experience. But I'm not doing the trip to teach workshops.

I'm on the road, with most access to the Internet while parked in McDonald's parking lots, so getting a totally coherent website together is not a top priority. What I did got me back online after losing my old site in a divorce, allowed me to publish "More Finely Focused," and begin my church. Follow me on Facebook, where you can find many examples of recent color work. B&W large format (4x5,5x7, 8x10) will have to go by the wayside for now. Several thousand negatives are in storage, as are hundred of prints of the stuff I care about.

Workshop pricing. I was thinking about roughly $25 per student per day, plus you have to feed me and let me park and sleep in your driveway. I'll probably also need a monitor to plug into my laptop for using with the exercises, and a place to do that so we can review students' efforts. A shower might be nice; I have my own towels and soap. Do the math and compare. As stated, I'm much more interested in meeting new friends, especially familiar names from this forum. I don't need to make money, but charging something puts a little of everyone's skin in the game. That said, I think I can make the price worthwhile, especially if I have a good idea of what folks want. Digital copies of my books will be included, a $34.95 value. Minimum two students, maximum eight. If we think we'll have more than 8, we'll try to break it into two sessions, but I'll pretty much guarantee that 8 won't sign up. Women students are wonderful, and treated with great respect.

The "Tables of Contents" (TOCs) might give you some ideas. Some of you may own my book(s), but may have never DONE the exercises (GASP!). It's highly likely that any workshop I do would include some of them - git outta yer chair and come do sum werk!. I've done them all, and they're actually fun. There is some overlap of exercises between the two books (why reinvent the wheel, or make people buy both?), but I am particularly proud of the ones in "More Finely Focused," the newer book.

Eric - I'll be in touch. I'd love to cruise for some snaps with you. Colorado is down the road, schedule-wise, so I couldn't even make a wild guess right now.

Thanks for your interest, those of you who are.

John Bowen
31-May-2013, 06:31
Link to Finely Focused TOC
http://bwbarlow.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/table-of-contents.pdf

and link to More Finely Focused TOC
http://bwbarlow.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/more-finely-focused-table-of-contents.pdf

Bruce and Richard Ritter have run Fine Focused Workshops for many years
http://www.finefocusworkshops.com/

I've taken quite a few workshops with Bruce and Richard over the years and had lots of fun in addition to learning stuff. Bruce is an excellent instructor.

Bruce Barlow
31-May-2013, 07:22
Mr. Bowen knows single malts, too.

He's at the top of reasons why I like teaching workshops - in order to make friends as wonderful as he is.

Not to mention he's a terrific photographer. I take no credit for that. Mr. Bowen works really, really hard, and that has made the difference.

Plus, we've done some great trips together. I still remember Lobster Girl with great fondness.

ghostcount
31-May-2013, 07:27

Zak, based on your kindness in the post...

Indeed!

Bruce, if you find your way to SoCal please let me know. I'll take your workshop with or without a lesson plan (a TOC would do).

Light Guru
31-May-2013, 07:28
Zak, based on your kindness in the post, I'll pass on your neck of the woods.
Im sorry you felt I was being rude, i had no intentions of coming across that way.

So, having given it no thought, as Zak asserts
Perhaps you have given it much thought but your first post included so little information that it really seamed like you hadn't. All it basically said was I'm headed west if you want a workshop contact me.

I also have little wiggle room for promotion and marketing, living in a Chevy van
I don't see how living in a van prevents you from having a website talking about your workshops, and included samples of your work so that people gan get a feel as to weather or not what you offer is something that will benefit them.

Link to Finely Focused TOC
http://bwbarlow.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/table-of-contents.pdf

and link to More Finely Focused TOC
http://bwbarlow.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/more-finely-focused-table-of-contents.pdf

Bruce and Richard Ritter have run Fine Focused Workshops for many years
http://www.finefocusworkshops.com/

I've taken quite a few workshops with Bruce and Richard over the years and had lots of fun in addition to learning stuff. Bruce is an excellent instructor.

Information that would have been much better off in your original post.
When I first read your original post I went to your website and immediately found it odd that there were absolutely no samples of your photography. I searched through it for several minutes but did not find anything that gave me any good idea of what your workshops might be about or what kind of things you photograph.

Your original post may be fine if everyone that is going to read it already knows you, but on an online forum vary few will know you.

Ill im saying is that you will get a lot more interest in your workshops if you resent them in a manner where people can easily know what kind of photographer you are and what kind of things you teach.

Again im sorry if you took my previews post to be rude, I did not intend it to be that way.

John Bowen
31-May-2013, 10:37
I still remember Lobster Girl with great fondness.

Ah, Lobstah Girl.......
That was a good trip!

Daniel Stone
31-May-2013, 14:02
Another vote for Southern California(LA/OC area if possible?)!

Maybe we should coordinate getting you a hotel room for the night, each of us workshop participants chip in a share. Meet up someplace easily accessed, or near a place where we can convene as a group/workshop? There are many hotels that have "business" suites that have a conference table and room for 8-10 or so, maybe with a tight(ish) squeeze... should still be fun however!

keep us posted :)

-Dan

anglophone1
31-May-2013, 14:58
What a cool idea, need someone in Europe doing this.
Heck, I've got a camper, if I had the time I'd do it!
Someone else with the time ?
And the talent?

Doug Howk
31-May-2013, 15:41
Workshop - sounds like a great idea. Don't know how you would feel about including Florida in your travels - a Southern swing before heading back North? Anyway, I have to admit to not doing the exercises as I read thru your latest book. So a workshop would be helpful.

Bruce Barlow
31-May-2013, 18:34
Momentum is building for southern California. I'll gather you together and we'll start to talk content and logistics. Cool!

I was in Jacksonville a month ago, passing through. Not sure when I'll be in that area again, but anything's possible. I have friends in Pompano Beach. Went to Key West and saw three of the most beautiful women I have ever seen in front of a bar. Except they weren't.

I could get excited about Ireland in a year or so. It's at the top of my list of places to visit.

We'll rule very little out for now.

Thanks for the interest. Signing off from McDonald's.

Michael Clark
31-May-2013, 19:49
Hi Bruce,thats about 4 or 5 in the So Cal area, I'm sure others will join in, got a McDonald's right up the street form hear.

Mike

barnninny
31-May-2013, 20:49
Again im sorry if you took my previews post to be rude, I did not intend it to be that way.

He didn't take your previous post to be rude. Whether you meant it to be or not, your previous post was rude. There are non-rude ways to express the concerns you had.

And it's maddeningly rude to pretend to apologize for something while actually blaming the other person for that very thing.

brucetaylor
31-May-2013, 22:02
I will chime in for a Southern California stop as well. Chipping in for a pleasant place to stay for Bruce is a wonderful idea, Dan.

tgtaylor
1-Jun-2013, 07:46
Well, I'll chime in for a Northern California stop. After all, what does Southern California have that Northern California doesn't have - and more of too:p

Michael Clark
1-Jun-2013, 21:37
Well, I'll chime in for a Northern California stop. After all, what does Southern California have that Northern California doesn't have - and more of too:p

We have more McDonald's .

Mike

billie williams
1-Jun-2013, 21:58
Please count me in for a Los Angeles workshop.

tgtaylor
2-Jun-2013, 07:13
We have more McDonald's .

Mike

And more Starbucks too:)

Also, there's two rental darkrooms in San Francisco: SF Parks and Recreation and Rayko. Both are within two miles of each other and the latter has 2 8x10 enlargers (1 color and the other B&W) in the evenet Bruce want's to extend the workshop to the darkroom.

Thomas

Bruce Barlow
2-Jun-2013, 07:26
OK, time for me to get a little organized, which I shall do and contact those who have expressed interest. I think we can make a few of these work.

California Dreamin' has got me in a daze!

Got a PM from some folks in Florida. Yeah, maybe, but I won't be back in that part of the world for a while, so please be patient.

Idaho is looking promising, too.

This is getting to be fun, and we haven't even done anything yet!

In the meantime, I'm going to wander Door County for a while. I have a nice place to stay, and the foto fodder looks promising.

I'll update later when I'm a little more organized.

Thanks for your interest!

Thad Gerheim
2-Jun-2013, 07:33
Darn, not one McDonalds in this county, which is the size of New Hampshire, or traffic light. Maybe you already know this, but in the rural west most small towns have a library and are willing to give out the password for their wi-fi freely. In some of the small tourist towns these libraries can be quite the hangout for travelers there to poach the internet. The natural hotsprings around here are good places to rejuvenate creativity and philosophize. I think I can round up at least a half dozen souls for a workshop or two in Stanley.

jwaddison
2-Jun-2013, 23:07
If you're planning on northern Idaho, I would be interested. I could handle a day's drive for one of your workshops! Or the interior of Washington State if you're going that way.

Bruce Barlow
3-Jun-2013, 07:32
Central Idaho, in Thad Gerheim's neck of the woods, is in process, date uncertain but sooner rather than later (whatever that means...). Details will follow.

Somebody build a McDonald's! Quick!

Libraries are great for wi-fi, yes indeed.

I'm currently in Door County, WI, McDonald's-less, but with wi-fi and a good coffeemaker.

Jac@stafford.net
3-Jun-2013, 07:49
I'm currently in Door County, WI, McDonald's-less, but with wi-fi and a good coffeemaker.

If you have not yet visited parts of the Driftless Zone (http://www.digoliardi.net/alma_good_1.jpg), you might consider it part of your trip.

Here are nearby McDonalds. (https://maps.google.com/maps?safe=off&ie=UTF-8&q=door+county+mcdonald's&fb=1&gl=us&hq=mcdonald's&hnear=0x881d7d8d95ac61d3:0xb4d3cfdf4c832d1c,Door,+WI&view=text&ei=R62sUZjiEorDygHg6oGgAw&ved=0CC4QtQM)

David Karp
3-Jun-2013, 10:51
The 5 x 7 is a prototype camera. Which has to have more design work done on it before I am happy with it. That said I have not worked on the camera for two years due to the lack of capital to keep working on it.

I really want to see one of your cameras in person, after hearing about them here, and looking at your website. Have you made a Whole Plate version for anyone?

Looking at the prototype will give me a good idea of how your cameras handle.

Bruce Barlow
3-Jun-2013, 11:09
David, send an email to Richard - that's a better chance to get an answer. Even better, call him on the phone - Richard tends to dislike email, and treat it accordingly.

That said, I'm pretty sure he has done whole-plate versions.

We'll figure out how to get your hands on my 5x7, mere prototype that it is.

Jac - incredible picture! And thanks for the scoop on Mickey D's!

David Karp
3-Jun-2013, 21:40
Thinks Bruce,

I will get in touch with him. It will be good to see the 5x7 version, even if it is a prototype! And you with it as well!! Any idea of when you will hit Southern California?

Bruce Barlow
4-Jun-2013, 06:01
No, David, no idea yet.

I have to start getting a little organized, but only a little. It is supposed to be all about the trip, which tends to have me avoiding planning. That would kinda ruin the serendipity of it all. In addition, I have spent little time west of the Mississippi, and so do not have a real sense of space and interesting places to go. I'm likely to have to just get on with it and then get a sense.

The general plan is to hug the northern border across MN, ND, and MT, with a side trip to Mt. Rushmore, at least. I've got friends in Helena, MT, and will detour south into Idaho, where we'll have a workshop for Thad (see above). I might check in with an old friend in Pocatello, too. Then on to Seattle, around the Olympic area, down the coast. I hope to visit a relative in Portland, and eat good food. Then on down the coast. Maybe a workshop in northern California, visits to Yosemite and Kings Canyon, possibly Tahoe, then on down south.

See why it's tough to guess a schedule? Sorry. But I'm unlikely to ever do this again, so I want to do it right this time.

Jac@stafford.net
4-Jun-2013, 14:47
See why it's tough to guess a schedule? Sorry. But I'm unlikely to ever do this again, so I want to do it right this time.

Understood. What is not spoken of is our age and limited opportunity.

Go West old man. I will be doing the same in a similar set-up soon.

Good luck to you.

David Karp
4-Jun-2013, 14:50
No rush. Just curious. Have a great time. We might bump into each other in Kings Canyon! Or Yosemite. We are thinking of doing a camping trip with the kids this summer, and we might end up in one of those places. :-)

Thad Gerheim
8-Jul-2013, 09:33
Bruce came well prepared to give us an interesting, stimulating and thoughtful workshop. We are already conniving ways to bring him back next year. Maybe we can bait him back with spudnuts (doughnuts made with guess what).

Robert Oliver
8-Jul-2013, 11:12
If you end up in San Diego would love to meet up.

I'd want my workshop to cover buying a crappy old commercial van and then using it to travel around the country making pictures and talking photography... of course without a plan or an itinerary!

Bruce Barlow
9-Jul-2013, 17:15
I had a great time in Stanley with Thad Gerheim.

Robert! I got an inquiry yesterday about a workshop in San Diego - I think it will be a "go," date, of course, uncertain. And don't insult my van! Marga (its name) is a 2012 in cherry shape. I'm about to hit 24,000 miles on this trip, and its performance will become the stuff of legends.

LA folks - you are not forgotten, and there are a bunch of y'all. I will be in touch individually soon to get us thinking of topics.

If the rest of you are as much fun as the Stanley, Idaho folks, we'll have a good time.

Michael Clark
9-Jul-2013, 17:47
Good deal Bruce, we all be waiten.

Mike

David R Munson
9-Jul-2013, 17:52
I seem to have missed this thread until now. Bruce, where are you now? I'm in Chicago and am hoping I didn't miss the chance to get together!

angusparker
9-Jul-2013, 20:54
How bout the Bay Area? Lots of LFers here....