PDA

View Full Version : Wista 45DX stuck

lbenac
28-May-2013, 22:27
Suddenly my Wista is stuck. The focusing rack will not move the frame.
Would it be possible that the wood of both internal and external frames have swell to the point of be stuck together?
It has been raining a lot but nothing out of the ordinary.

Cheers,

Luc

Oren Grad
28-May-2013, 23:14
With apologies if this is obvious, but just in case: most lightweight 4x5 folding wooden field cameras have a focusing knob or knobs on one side of the bed and corresponding locking knob(s) on the opposite side. Sometimes the locking knob ends up tightening itself just from the action of the focusing knob on the other side. Does your Wista have a locking knob that has inadvertently been tightened all the way?

lbenac
29-May-2013, 06:54
With apologies if this is obvious, but just in case: most lightweight 4x5 folding wooden field cameras have a focusing knob or knobs on one side of the bed and corresponding locking knob(s) on the opposite side. Sometimes the locking knob ends up tightening itself just from the action of the focusing knob on the other side. Does your Wista have a locking knob that has inadvertently been tightened all the way?

Hello Oren,

No the left knob is totally free. As a matter of fact I also removed both knob to make sure that the axe was totally free. The axe itself seems to rotate as it should. It is the frame that seem to be "glued" in place.

Cheers,

Luc

hoffner
29-May-2013, 07:06
If you want to give it a try, heat the suspected parts with a hair dryer, let it cool and try to move it then.

Doremus Scudder
29-May-2013, 08:45
Check carefully to see if there are any foreign objects in between the camera bed and the sliding parts that could be causing your problem. Then look for broken or damaged parts to see if they could be blocking things. You may want to remove the bottom plate to get a view of things from that side. Check to make sure the sliding rack is correctly positioned, i.e., that it hasn't been bumped and jumped the gears on one side thereby misaligning it.

If you can't find anything, then swelling is a definite possibility (although I have never had anything remotely like this happen to either of my two Wista DXs). You may be able to carefully disassemble some things to get a little play. If you really suspect swelling, try the hair dryer (on low and at a distance that will not heat things up too much!) and also putting the camera in a dry environment for a time.

Do let us know the result of your endeavor. I, for one, would like to be prepared in case something like this happens to my DXs.

Good luck,

Doremus

Bob Salomon
29-May-2013, 09:18
Has your camera recently been dropped or bumped? We have seen this with some cameras that inadvertanetly were. Also have seen a screw fall out and the bed then went out of alignment and would not close.

lbenac
29-May-2013, 12:55
Hello,
Thank you all for the various suggestions.
1) camera was not dropped and until a few days ago could extend fully
2) metal bottom was removed to give access and I cannot see any foreign object or obstruction
3) the focusing knobs and metal supports were removed so that the focusing axis can be pushed down against the spring on the base to effectively free the gears from the rack
I am at my wits'ends. It looks like overnight the inside frame (with the rack) has been solidly glued to the outside frame. There is not even a millimeter of play.

I will try the hairdryer when I am back at home tonight.
The camera was stored inside since I last used it and there is not a lot of temperature variation in our house (no blasting furnace or air conditioning).
Not sure what level of ambient humidity would cause enough swelling to "weld" the two frames together in their close position (i.e. zero extension)

Cheers,

Luc

lbenac
29-May-2013, 19:02
I have tried the hairdryer to no effect.
I have taken the camera apart to make sure that there was no constraint on the frame.
See pictures

The two frames are just like one :(

Vick Ko
29-May-2013, 19:24
How about freezing it? If heat and humidity welded it, go the opposite direction.

The other option is mechanical shock, but, not for a wooden item.

lbenac
29-May-2013, 19:40
Great minds....it is in the fridge right now :)

Jon Shiu
29-May-2013, 20:07
How about using some type of spray furniture wax/polish to loosen it?

Jon

lbenac
29-May-2013, 20:30
How about using some type of spray furniture wax/polish to loosen it?

Jon

I have put some and will leave it overnight.
Thanks

Luc

lbenac
29-May-2013, 21:47
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got it open. Combination of wood maintenance product (looks great) and a couple of very light raps on each corner of the internal frame. It looks like for some reason the frame must have slightly angled itself.
It still a tiny bit stiff so I am leaving it overnight with the wood maintenance product to "soak in".

Thanks to all

Luc

lbenac
30-May-2013, 23:02
Total success. My Wista is back to its likeable self.

Folded with a 210/6.1 Xenar

Unfolded with same lens

As you will notice I added a RRS long plate which I think make it better balanced on a tripod.
This is my easy breazy setup Wista 45 DX with two lenses - one mounted at all time - Xenar 210/6.1 and Fujinon-W 125/5.6.

Cheers,

Luc

Doremus Scudder
31-May-2013, 00:32
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Got it open. ... It looks like for some reason the frame must have slightly angled itself.
It still a tiny bit stiff so I am leaving it overnight with the wood maintenance product to "soak in".

Thanks to all

Luc

Looks like the focusing frame jumped a tooth on the rack-and-pinion focusing gear. Take extra care reassembling it to make sure everything is aligned properly.

This can happen easily if you rack the frame out too far. There is usually a stop to keep the frame from being racked out farther than it should. Check to make sure your camera has one! If not, install one for safety's sake.

Best,

Doremus

The Lost Martian
4-Dec-2013, 05:25
Hi Luc,

I have just joined this group. I have a Wista 45DX ll Rosewood and I have the same problem. Neither the lock knob nor the focus knob will move, although the cogs gear engagements with the tracks each side look ok. However, I assume it is the same problem as the two sections of the base appear to be very closely and tightly fitted. I have removed the base and given it similar treatment, some light oil along the joints and around the knobs and put it in the fridge. Might it be necessary to remove the focus and lock knobs? And what is the correct procedure for doing so? Any advice you might have for me would be very much appreciated.

Terry

The Lost Martian
4-Dec-2013, 21:40
Stuck focus still stuck. Luc's fridge treatment to base has had no effect. I have removed the two small dome head nuts from the lock and focus knobs, but still cannot turn or remove the knobs. I am reluctant to apply any great force without further information as to how to proceed. Advice anyone, please.

Terry

Doremus Scudder
5-Dec-2013, 03:06
Stuck focus still stuck. Luc's fridge treatment to base has had no effect. I have removed the two small dome head nuts from the lock and focus knobs, but still cannot turn or remove the knobs. I am reluctant to apply any great force without further information as to how to proceed. Advice anyone, please.

Terry

Terry,

Are you sure you don't have the focus lock tightened down? The knob on the left (as you stand behind the camera) is the lock knob. If you can't turn the lock knob, it is likely way too tight and the culprit. Unscrew it counter-clockwise. If you have removed the lock nut, it should come all the way off. If this knob is down tight, I would use a bit of penetrating oil and reasonable force to get it loosened.

The right-hand knob is the focusing knob; it turns the pinion gear in the camera bed. Make sure the bed has not jumped a tooth on one side, which results in it being crooked in the track. Pictures would help here.

Good luck,

Doremus

The Lost Martian
5-Dec-2013, 04:22
Hi Doremus,

Thank you for your detailed reply. What I have in front of me looks exactly as Luc's photos of his stripped down Wista focussing bed and run-out, with the exception that my focus and lock knobs are still on. Looking at the pinion gear and slide tracks, both sides are straight, square and without distortion, First engaged gear tooth on both knobs is seated in the second pinion tooth well on each side. I feel you may be right about the lock knob being over tightened (and this would cause the focus knob to stick also?) My main worry was breaking something if I applied to much force to the lock knob. Will give another dose of penetrating oil and remove the Clark Kent specs. will update later or tomorrow.

Many thanks

The Lost Martian
5-Dec-2013, 06:19
Hi Doremus,

You were exactly right. The lock nut was too tight. The penetrating oil, a good soak, and a one grunt hand twist did the trick. The run-out fit to the bed is a fine tolerance but running ok now if slightly stiff. Better than loose though. Off now to re-assemble the camera. Many, many thanks for your diagnostic skill.

Best regards
Terry

Doremus Scudder
6-Dec-2013, 03:29
Hi Doremus,

You were exactly right. The lock nut was too tight. The penetrating oil, a good soak, and a one grunt hand twist did the trick. The run-out fit to the bed is a fine tolerance but running ok now if slightly stiff. Better than loose though. Off now to re-assemble the camera. Many, many thanks for your diagnostic skill.

Best regards
Terry

Terry,

Glad to be of service! FWIW, I have the focus lock knob on my Wistas unscrewed all the way and up tight against the retaining nut and don't use the lock function at all. Unless you are pointing the camera straight down or straight up, the lock function is just an extra unnecessary step.

For lubricating the gear rail and the bed: try some beeswax or a bit of carnuba. That seems to be all my wooden cameras ever need.

Best,

Doremus

lbenac
6-Dec-2013, 05:11
Glad to see this resolved. Sorry could not answer before but I am in France visiting family.

Cheers,

luc