PDA

View Full Version : How to tighten more camera to camera head on Ries

wiggywag
25-May-2013, 23:39
Im a lucky owner of a Ries Tripod and head, but find it a bit difficult to tighten the camera enough to make the camera not rotating. Can I put someting in between to create more friction?

Daniel Stone
25-May-2013, 23:54
thin cork should help, and is non-marring
-or-
adhesive-backed velcro? one side has hook material, the other has the loop material

Fred Haeseker
26-May-2013, 00:28
I have an old made-in-Hollywood Ries with a large metal platform which I covered with a thin mousepad cut to size and fastened with contact cement. Works well with my wooden 8x10 field camera.

lenser
26-May-2013, 07:34
Or you can simply tighten the camera as best you can in an off center position slightly to the right of center and then twist the camera bodily to thelet until it's at the centered position. I've got a BACO head (forerunner of Ries) and that's the most efficient way to get it tight that I've found.

William Whitaker
26-May-2013, 07:55
Is the camera mounting screw bottoming out? If so, and if you attempt to tighten the camera further, you could cause damage.

FWIW, Ries heads that I have and have had in the past I have covered with thin leather, although it's more to protect the wood camera's finish than for providing "grip".

wiggywag
27-May-2013, 13:22
Thanks for good advises. I will try the cork first. I also wonder maybe a thin sheet of cork between the head and the tripod will make panorating smoother on the Ries tripod?

Daniel Stone
27-May-2013, 13:48
Thanks for good advises. I will try the cork first. I also wonder maybe a thin sheet of cork between the head and the tripod will make panorating smoother on the Ries tripod?

NO,

CORK WILL NOT MAKE IT SMOOTHER.

If you are purchasing a Ries tripod head NEW, it SHOULD come with a plastic disk that you put between the head and the tripod's top plate.

If you have a used head + tripod combo, but are lacking the plastic(approx 1/64" thick, with a hole cut in it for the tripod's mounting screw) disk, you can fashion one out of a dollar-store roll-up/flexible cutting board, one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Cut-N-Slice-Flexible-Cutting-Boards/dp/B0000VLU62

-Dan

kgm
28-May-2013, 15:22
You probably already did this, but make sure that the ring just below the camera plate (not the lower one that allows you to pan) is fully tightened. If it's a little loose, it can prevent the camera from being secure. But that's usually very obvious if it's loose. I've had my Ries for about eight years, and it still tightens securely.

wiggywag
17-Jun-2013, 13:28
NO,

CORK WILL NOT MAKE IT SMOOTHER.

If you are purchasing a Ries tripod head NEW, it SHOULD come with a plastic disk that you put between the head and the tripod's top plate.

If you have a used head + tripod combo, but are lacking the plastic(approx 1/64" thick, with a hole cut in it for the tripod's mounting screw) disk, you can fashion one out of a dollar-store roll-up/flexible cutting board, one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Cut-N-Slice-Flexible-Cutting-Boards/dp/B0000VLU62

-Dan

Hi Daniel!

I got a plastic disk from Ries. The panorating are much smoother now. Your advise was veeeery helpful, and I will enjoy it everytime I take pictures. Thanks :)