PDA

View Full Version : Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Larry Gebhardt
22-May-2013, 12:50
I opened the paper at lunch today (the 4x5 camera picture immediately jumped out at me) and found a local guy is going to be walking across the country. Seems he will document the trip with a 4x5 camera. He also plans to not speak as he takes the year long trip. I'm not sure I understand his reasoning, but it's still interesting.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/1005390-469/nashua-north-grad-will-mark-22nd-birthday.html

Brian C. Miller
22-May-2013, 13:05
It’s a big first step in what Hindy hopes will be a future of performance art, an interest he gained while studying cognitive science at Yale.

“Performance art is about communicating through an action, and trying to make a statement,” he said.

Ok, so it's a sort of mime performance. But walking with a view camera in a stroller, funded by Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/859418535/one-year-performance-walking-silence). I wonder how many photographs he intends to make on his journey.

Bill_1856
22-May-2013, 13:11
The only people even crazier than he is, are those who donated money to him. What a *****ng waste -- for this he needs a degree from Yale?

Colin Robertson
22-May-2013, 13:58
No, he isn't crazy. This is absolutely beautiful.
It's perfectly possible he won't manage- accidents happen, we sometimes find ourselves weaker than we imagine, but he is planning to devote a year to testing himself. By the end he will know more about himself and his weaknesses than ever before. He might produce great photos, he might not, but that isn't really the point. Was there really a point to building the pyramids, or going to the moon? Is there really any 'point' to thousands of people running the London or New York marathons? The point is the experience itself, and I wish him well (even though my approval, and your disapproval probably mean nothing to him).

Drew Wiley
22-May-2013, 14:03
Forrest Gump? When he finally speaks, it will be, "Those spike feeet on my Git-zo were a pain in the butt-tocks!"

Vaughn
22-May-2013, 14:07
I vote for awesome! I wish him the best of luck!

Otto Seaman
22-May-2013, 16:09
Obviously he is fortunate enough to have no student loans from his $57,000 per year Yale education.

It sounds idealistic but to me it seems vain and pretentious, a spoilt rich kid having the luxury to do this while his peers are struggling just to make payments. I bet he needed the Kickstarter money because his family said enough is enough, and it wasn't like he would get a job to pay for it himself.

Still I have to admire his use of the Calumet coat hanger camera since many of us would quake at the thought of carrying such a beast....

Scott Walker
22-May-2013, 17:10

A big +1

The only people even crazier than he is, are those who donated money to him. What a *****ng waste -- for this he needs a degree from Yale?

And.....I guess you will have to call me crazy :p

jnantz
22-May-2013, 17:44

+2 !

good for him, i hope he has a GREAT trip !

i have family who walked the AT 2x, across NZ too ..
not to mention a cousin who ran across the usa ...

im glad there are some people who are having fun.

John Kasaian
22-May-2013, 17:58
+2 !

good for him, i hope he has a GREAT trip !

i have family who walked the AT 2x, across NZ too ..
not to mention a cousin who ran across the usa ...

im glad there are some people who are having fun.

Yup!:)

Serge S
22-May-2013, 19:21
Just read the article....Some people are good at marketing:)

Jim Graves
22-May-2013, 20:08

Another +1 .... I even went to Kickstarter to see if they were still taking donations.

uphereinmytree
23-May-2013, 06:19
I'm a fan of personal quests especially when the quest doesn't involve making a fortune on the backs of others, so it seems righteous and if people donate, more power to him. I would be more interested if he did humanitarian work as he walked. I also think that a Yale Grad should just get on with a career and leave the soul searching to those that don't have so many options. I'm on a personal quest that is often interrupted by daily life.

Brian Ellis
23-May-2013, 06:34
Obviously he is fortunate enough to have no student loans from his $57,000 per year Yale education.

It sounds idealistic but to me it seems vain and pretentious, a spoilt rich kid having the luxury to do this while his peers are struggling just to make payments. I bet he needed the Kickstarter money because his family said enough is enough, and it wasn't like he would get a job to pay for it himself.

Still I have to admire his use of the Calumet coat hanger camera since many of us would quake at the thought of carrying such a beast....

Why is it "obviousl" that he had no student loans? I don't see any indication in the article of how his education was financed, how rich he or his family might be, whether he had student loans or didn't, and whether his family gave him any money. But don't let the complete absence of facts stop you from making your stereotypical assumptions and shedding tears for some unknown peers who you think are struggling to "make payments."

Larry Gebhardt
23-May-2013, 07:27

Is there a better time to take such a journey? He's finished with school, but doesn't have a job he needs to quit. He presumably doesn't have a wife and kid yet that he needs to support. He hasn't tied himself down with a lot of material possessions like a house that needs to be looked after. He may have loans, but it's possible his family could help him pay them for a year.

Think of it this way, he's not taking one of the few jobs out there so some other graduate can get that job and pay of his bills.

jnantz
23-May-2013, 07:32
Why is it "obviousl" that he had no student loans? I don't see any indication in the article of how his education was financed, how rich he or his family might be, whether he had student loans or didn't, and whether his family gave him any money. But don't let the complete absence of facts stop you from making your stereotypical assumptions and shedding tears for some unknown peers who you think are struggling to "make payments."

hi brian

its obvious he is LOADED because he is using a large format camera and film. :)
as we all know, a 4x5 + film are ONLY used by the well off, not to mention the cards he plans on using to communicate
with people, they must have cost a fortune!

john

frotog
23-May-2013, 08:10
I wish I could be an enthusiastic supporter of this young man but having first hand experience of the elitist, self-exploiting "lens-based" art that Mr. Crewdson encourages from his students I'm dubious of his intentions. What will his pretentious, quasi-monastic vow of silence accomplish other than to shut him off from meaningful conversation with local people, enforce stereotypes of the lofty absurdities of the academy that put this asinine idea in his head and produce a slew of nonplussed self-portraits of him quietly admiring his deaf, dumb and stupid conceit? How could anyone confronting this young man understand this project as anything other than an extended, sustained exercise in condescension? What do you suppose will happen once he leaves the coddled hamlets of the coast for the "provinces"? He should have a sign that reads "please stop punching my face as I'm just a horse's ass with an ivy league degree and an inability to relate to people below my station in life." Hopefully, for his wellbeing; the inevitable case of crotchrot that he's overlooked will stop this before something less forgiving does.

Otto Seaman
23-May-2013, 09:05
I wish I could be an enthusiastic supporter of this young man but having first hand experience of the elitist, self-exploiting "lens-based" art that Mr. Crewdson encourages from his students I'm dubious of his intentions. What will his pretentious, quasi-monastic vow of silence accomplish other than to shut him off from meaningful conversation with local people, enforce stereotypes of the lofty absurdities of the academy that put this asinine idea in his head and produce a slew of nonplussed self-portraits of him quietly admiring his deaf, dumb and stupid conceit? How could anyone confronting this young man understand this project as anything other than an extended, sustained exercise in condescension? What do you suppose will happen once he leaves the coddled hamlets of the coast for the "provinces"? He should have a sign that reads "please stop punching my face as I'm just a horse's ass with an ivy league degree and an inability to relate to people below my station in life." Hopefully, for his wellbeing; the inevitable case of crotchrot that he's overlooked will stop this before something less forgiving does.

You go Brother! More harsh reality, less art fairies!

Scott Walker
23-May-2013, 09:12
You go Brother! More harsh reality, less art fairies!

So anyone that does not share your opinion is an art fairy?

Thom Bennett
23-May-2013, 09:17
This is what youth is for. I wish him well and would be interested to see the results of his adventures.

Brian C. Miller
23-May-2013, 09:20
The thing that gets me is that it isn't about photography, it's "performance art." His "hair shirt" is walking, pushing a buggy, and using a heavy view camera. The value of the photographs is not what is photographed, but the "performance" around the photographs. I'd much rather support someone who is doing it for the photography.

My view of photography is that it isn't about the photographer. The photograph (usually) doesn't show the photographer, it shows the subject. It's a still window opened onto a frozen moment of time. And so we view that image, and contemplate it. Perhaps a long time, or a very short time. But the photographer is, in fact, forgotten, and all that remains is the image.

Here, it's all about the "artist." I don't know if his teacher was Crewdson, but it's irrelevant. What is relevant is what someone else obtains from the endeavor. Walking a long ways isn't that big of a deal. Over a hundred people a year complete the Pacific Crest Trail. So what remains of his journey? The photographs.

I wish him the best of luck, and hopefully he won't get hit like that guy who was bouncing a soccer on a walking journey to Brazil. (Richard Swanson, Seattle man dribbling soccer ball to Brazil, killed by pickup truck in Oregon (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57584569/richard-swanson-seattle-man-dribbling-soccer-ball-to-brazil-killed-by-pickup-truck-in-oregon/))

Dan Henderson
23-May-2013, 09:36
The idealistic side of me has often thought of walking across America, but in my case just making 35mm snapshots as I go.

The practical side of me wonders how this guy is going to make his idea work. Whenever I set my 4x5 camera up and begin working on a photograph someone stops to ask what I am taking a picture of, is amazed that I can still get film for "that old camera," and/or wants to tell me about his/her great picture. If he refuses to speak to these people sooner or later someone will take offense and begin harrassing him.

The cynical side of me wonders if anyone has started a Kickstarter campaign solely for the stated purpose of raising money.

Rain Dance
23-May-2013, 09:57
So many cynical grumpy old men here. +1 to this guy for going on his own personal journey.

Otto Seaman
23-May-2013, 10:22

Well... we do know that Yale was expensive and he doesn't need to work for a year. The assumptions I made are just that - assumptions, much the same as others have made here about cynical, old men.

But seriously, has anything good ever come out of Yale other than bad presidential candidates, greedy lawyers and MBAs, or pompous intellectuals? Not to be cynical;-)

Drew Wiley
23-May-2013, 10:27
Well, Hamish Fulton got some serious museum representation a few decades back for his otherwise utterly boring road shots of long walks. I have no idea of what
this current fellow's motives or aspirations are, but anyone lugging around a view camera can't be all that bad! But I don't know how he's supposed to keep silence
if he runs into some redneck cop somewhere asking suspicious questions, which seems inevitable. Hope to stays safe and does indeed shoot some interesting material.

Corran
23-May-2013, 10:51
So many cynical grumpy old men here. +1 to this guy for going on his own personal journey.

A-freakin'-men.
Though I do think the silence vow is unnecessary and irrelevant.

Brian C. Miller
23-May-2013, 10:59
I think there's a difference between a "vow of silence" and total non-communication. If he's vowed just to keep his mouth shut, he can still write notes, etc. Think of how many deaf-mutes are in society. I'm guessing that he'll have an introduction card, and a pad of paper. "Hi, I can't speak, but I can hear," should go a long ways.

Corran
23-May-2013, 11:09
From the article:

He won’t speak, read, write or make any noise.

Juergen Sattler
23-May-2013, 11:26
Just another guy trying to draw attention to himself be doing something totally outrageous. I have no issues with the idea of walking across the US or doing LF photography while doing it but give me a break with the no "speaking writing or making any noise" part. That's just stupid.

Brian C. Miller
23-May-2013, 11:26
Hmm, I wonder how he'll stop himself from reading...

Anybody remember Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon-Tiki? I wonder how he raised money for that.

Jerry Bodine
23-May-2013, 13:13
A-freakin'-men.
Though I do think the silence vow is unnecessary and irrelevant.

I tend to agree, but maybe that's just his way of staying focused on his chosen task while staying oblivious to all the "defiant gestures" that are certain to present themselves.

Drew Wiley
23-May-2013, 13:22
Both Thor Heyerdahl and Gavin Mendes got rich by writing books espousing their utterly ridiculous hypotheses about migration, which they allegedly "proved" by simulating the voyages. Seems that no human being in the New World was capable of piling up a pyramid or inventing hieroglyphic writing apart from outside help
from either Egypt or China, if you believed these career bullshitters. But at least it did get folks thinking about how the Polynesians and others did manage to navigate. I got in a big argument with my brother-in-law who was convinced the Druids came to America and built the mounds back east (he's a Europhile). So
I just flipped the coin over and told him any such similarities were just proof that Cherokees founded Ireland!

Serge S
23-May-2013, 13:49
We'll he may not be talking on his adventure, but he's made for some lively conversation here:)

bobwysiwyg
23-May-2013, 14:22
I tend to agree, but maybe that's just his way of staying focused on his chosen task while staying oblivious to all the "defiant gestures" that are certain to present themselves.

If he's approached as often as I am with the view cam (questions) his silence is going to come across very strange. I suppose he may write notes, eh?

Ivan J. Eberle
23-May-2013, 16:16
Thing about Art is, first you gotta have something to say...

Jody_S
23-May-2013, 17:47
Good for him. I would do it if I could. Well, if people would give me buckets of money to do it. Not that $3500 is 'buckets of money', but he apparently has a plan and is willing to go through with it.

Jerry Bodine
23-May-2013, 18:02
I can't help thinking that he may not be speechless if he drops a lens onto rocks or trips over his tripod leg after completing the composition. Might he just think "oh, dear me"?

ROL
23-May-2013, 18:15
So many cynical grumpy old men here.

I don't have a judgement one way or another on this guy or his motives or anyone's motives here, about anything, for that matter. I just have to say that I resemble that remark.

Leszek Vogt
23-May-2013, 19:53
Perhaps some like to know (his Kickstarter investors ?), but I have no idea why he had to say, that he's doing this ? Some peeps just do it. I was at bike expo few weeks back and this woman, 2 kids and hubby, they took this bike trip from Alaska to the bottom of the Americas 17,000 miles...without telling anyone. I take it he wants to write a book about his experiences.

Les

rich815
24-May-2013, 06:06
...without telling anyone.

Les

Then how did you find out? ;-)

rich815
24-May-2013, 06:14
I think his whole vow of silence thing is just so he does not have to answer the same questions about what he's doing over and over again. Unfortunately I think he will get his butt kicked.

Jac@stafford.net
24-May-2013, 06:30
Well... we do know that Yale was expensive and he doesn't need to work for a year. The assumptions I made are just that - assumptions, much the same as others have made here about cynical, old men.

This cynical old man shares our concern for the young man's naivety. Regarding the rich-kid impressions, well my mate graduated from a college as expensive as Yale and accumulated only a modest debt because she received scholarships, grants and gifts and worked throughout the four years. We don't know if this young man did the same.

But seriously, has anything good ever come out of Yale other than bad presidential candidates, greedy lawyers and MBAs, or pompous intellectuals? Not to be cynical;-)

I worked in higher ed for about thirty years, in private colleges and a public university and we had a joke, "What is the difference between a C grade from Yale and a C grade from here? Answer: Here you have to work for a C."

EdSawyer
24-May-2013, 07:44
Seems a bit pretentious, no doubt. I'd think he should walk the walk and do the shots, and then announce it after the fact. If they are any good, people will pay attention and he can parlay it into after-the-fact funding. Raising PR and $ about it beforehand seems too self-aggrandizing. who knows if his work is even worth looking at? the vow-of-silence seems like a pointless gimmick, too.

Robert Langham
24-May-2013, 08:01
Life is it's own therapy, and whatever he is seeking he will find.... or something. Good luck and safe passage to him!

95682 Shattered Nautilus and broken cup.

Jim Graves
24-May-2013, 21:43
Life is it's own therapy, and whatever he is seeking he will find.... or something. Good luck and safe passage to him!

Now there's a charitable sentiment.

He is still short of the Kickstarter goal ... .

So if you want to help him make it ... or if you're a Grumpy Old Man and want to make sure he has to suffer the consequences of his "naivete" ... whichever your motivation ... here is the link to pledge some $$: LINK (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/859418535/one-year-performance-walking-silence)

barnninny
24-May-2013, 23:57
But seriously, has anything good ever come out of Yale other than bad presidential candidates, greedy lawyers and MBAs, or pompous intellectuals?

I was going to make a list, but I'll just say Gregory Crewdson and be done with it.

Kirk Gittings
25-May-2013, 08:57
This is what youth is for. I wish him well and would be interested to see the results of his adventures.

Exactly. I have never figured out a realistic working definition of performance art (I feel like I know it when I see it), but to me this is not it FWIW. But since he studied cognitive science he may not know either (with that degree he really needs a PHD to get any job in that field except a lab assistent). But WTF this will be a tremendous growing experience for him and what better way to spend his first year out of college (as opposed to living with his parents, hanging out at brew pubs and chasing cute shallow women). I did something equally odd to my college friends-I became a vista Volunteer in a rural area of Northern New Mexico which was like a third world country in those days.

As per the photo program at Yale-it is the top in the country http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-fine-arts-schools/photography-rankings?int=6db732. I have taught at two of the top 5 schools and I think being on the top is a mixed bag. Certainly those degrees have some Juju and develope amazing contacts, but they are not for someone like me who was not chasing the cutting edge of art. On the other hand with my MFA from a no-name school (where I got a completely full ride) has allowed me to teach at two of the top five schools so.........

frotog
25-May-2013, 10:11
So by pointing out the folly of this person's "art project" and the shamelessness of his begging for other people's money to fund it I'm a grumpy old man? It could just as easily be said that those of you who approve of it based on some romantic notion of a coming of age, rite of passage or wanderjar are misty-eyed suckers who are over the hill enough to sentimentalize youthfulness.

The salient point here is that this project smacks of the kind of academic recidivism that's ruining contemporary photography. Under the new guard (in Yale's case the ascension of Robert storr as dean of the art school and crewdson taking papageorge's place as head of the photo program). Their highminded notion of erasing the distinctions between the various disciplines means that we'll be seeing more work tricked out in high concept and a greater emphasis on process than result. Contrary to their intentions, this formulation has had the opposite effect of the vanguard they are hoping to establish - production for the sake of production value resulting in the sort of sentimental, still- born corniness that Greg "in a lonely place" Crewdson farts out and, as exemplified by this emo silencio sad-sack, an entirely derivative performance piece that lacks the teeth of its obvious 1970's art world precedents. For honest craftsmen like kirk this sorry state of affairs can be a boon as technique, as much as they like to disavow it, remains a stubborn necessity. However, from my point of view, holding a position in the arts at one of these institutions is hardly something to brag about.

Yes, it's true, higher education in the arts has its head further up its own posterior than ever before and it is only going to get worse.

Jim Graves
25-May-2013, 11:09
So by pointing out the folly of this person's "art project" and the shamelessness of his begging for other people's money to fund it I'm a grumpy old man? It could just as easily be said that those of you who approve of it based on some romantic notion of a coming of age, rite of passage or wanderjar are misty-eyed suckers who are over the hill enough to sentimentalize youthfulness.

Well, I am retired so maybe that qualifies me as "over the hill" ... and I am misty-eyed and sentimental ... two of my better traits so I guess I'll accept your characterization of me.

I can't answer your question as to whether you qualify as a "Grumpy Old Man" ... I don't know about your age, but I did re-read both of your posts and they do sound a tad bit grumpy.

jnantz
25-May-2013, 13:25
frotog

are you equally as pissed off at anyone who asks for money for their projects via kickstarter,
or in particular you don't like this guy because he went to yale, you see him as privileged,
and this is something only a rich suburban white college graduate would do " for art " ...
and he's just a conceptual-art-snob instead of something else ?

gleaf
27-May-2013, 06:42
I am of the very grumpy clan. Let's face it.. we of the old clan gained wisdom from surviving our many not so bright ideas. It is not the great success that guides our pathways. It is the number of bright ideas that came up zero or negative. I know that nature and reality attack full on when people plan a noble idea. My wishes are for him to learn by attempting his Mt. Everest. He may learn far more from continuing to completion in spite of some slips and failures that he would with the hypothetical crown of glorious achievement. Much thought needs to be given to safety and emergency recovery. I may think he's crazy, but he's young and an 80 year old just topped out on Everest last week. In a year he will be a fine mime and his Everest attempt will be in the book of experience. Contribute as you chose. My donation is in. Maybe this will be better than my buying etoys stock when it was tanking.

Brian Ellis
27-May-2013, 07:18
I think it's fine for him to do this and I wish him good luck. I've always regretted not taking a year off after undergrad school to do something more interesting than taking my first job.

I do question his plan to not talk and to use a 4x5 camera. Those things maybe add a little pizzazz to what's actually a very physically difficult, but fairly mundane, project. Perhaps the added difficulty makes it easier to raise money but I don't see what purpose they serve from any other standpoint.

frotog
27-May-2013, 12:51
Delusions of grandeur, magical thinking, self-entitlement - all hallmarks of narcissistic personality disorder, an affliction that runs rampid in this generation of twenty-somethings. I'd give him money too except I can't trust him to actually follow through with his plans. He would not be the first adventurer on kickstarter to con money from his sponsers.

frotog
27-May-2013, 13:14
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/Money-For-Nothing.html
l

barnninny
27-May-2013, 13:54
Have to say I don't get why this pushes so many buttons. Do I get what he's doing? No. I don't get performance art in general, if that's even what this is.

But nothing about it makes me wanna holler about getting off my lawn. If he wants to do it, fine. It's his life. If people are willing to fund it, that's fine, too. It's their money. Is he misspending an excellent and expensive education that he might not have deserved? I've got no idea. But even if he is, at least he's doing it harmlessly. Meaningless performance art beats hell out of going to Wall Street to invent new meaningless paper.

Leszek Vogt
27-May-2013, 16:10
Then how did you find out? ;-)

She was explaining the details how it was done....after the fact.

Les

jeroldharter
27-May-2013, 19:31
Seems mundane to me. Many people have offered to pay me not to speak for a year, even for a minute at times. Never occurred to me that could be a kickstarter project. Maybe that should be part of the retirement plan. I bet a lot of people here could make out just as well as me.

It is amazing that someone would work for money and then donate money to this. Probably the same group that would like government to subsidize art. Just my opinion.

Scott Walker
28-May-2013, 05:54
It is amazing that someone would work for money and then donate money to this. Probably the same group that would like government to subsidize art. Just my opinion.

Sounds like those pesky Art Fairies again!

Jac@stafford.net
28-May-2013, 07:18
[...] Probably the same group that would like government to subsidize art. Just my opinion.

It is interesting that in Minnesota, public building funding allocates 1% for artwork incorporated into the project.

jp
28-May-2013, 07:45
Maine allocates 1% for public building art as well. It tends to be spent on expensive impractical or irrelevant items that some architect likes rather than something meaningful for the location or community. I'd rather it be spent on education than "consumption because it's in the budget" but it don't work that way.

The walking trip does remind me of Thoreau, but he didn't have a vow of silence, but rather valued solitude and walking. There's a lot to be gained by walking and observation and if someone has to shut their mouth to experience that, that's what they gotta do. OTOH, The silence vow makes it a gimmick likely meant to elicit curiosity and crowd funding. If I knew he was coming through my town, I'd be tempted to kick in $20, then shoot him with a paintball and see if he yelps. That would be memorable performance art.

Otto Seaman
28-May-2013, 08:06
'd be tempted to kick in $20, then shoot him with a paintball and see if he yelps. That would be memorable performance art.

Who says Americans aren't friendly?

E. von Hoegh
28-May-2013, 08:42
Delusions of grandeur, magical thinking, self-entitlement - all hallmarks of narcissistic personality disorder, an affliction that runs rampid in this generation of twenty-somethings. I'd give him money too except I can't trust him to actually follow through with his plans. He would not be the first adventurer on kickstarter to con money from his sponsers.

I'm tempted to agree.
What better way to get attention than to walk across the country with a 4x5 view camera (and taking one picture per day of yourself, that's 365 sheets minimum right there), while under a vow of silence, after advertising said stunt on kickstarter?

Kickstarter. How many bikes have one? How many riders have (or know how to) used one?
I guess it's a more widely known term than "handprop".

E. von Hoegh
28-May-2013, 08:44
Who says Americans aren't friendly?

We are. Unfriendliness would be setting your pack of Dobermann-Pinschers after him, or using rocksalt...

Jody_S
28-May-2013, 09:11
What better way to get attention than to walk across the country with a 4x5 view camera (and taking one picture per day of yourself, that's 365 sheets minimum right there), while under a vow of silence, after advertising said stunt on kickstarter?

Indeed. Unlike the rest of us with our Deardorffs and such, and big brass lenses. Perhaps this kid is onto something, as LF (and film in general) has largely turned into performance art in the digital age. I don't know how else to explain the hate this guy is getting here.

Mark Sampson
28-May-2013, 10:23
I have to give him credit for trying. I hope he succeeds; the three aspects of his project, multiplied times each other, make it a difficult task to say the least. And then he has to finish the photographs and turn them into something the art world will consider worthwhile, a daunting prospect in itself. Best of luck to him!

Drew Wiley
28-May-2013, 10:49
Dobermans? Rock salt? Just sounds like ordinary treatment of any LF photographer who sets foot in the burbs. Wilderness is safer.

jp
28-May-2013, 12:46
We are. Unfriendliness would be setting your pack of Dobermann-Pinschers after him, or using rocksalt...

Or crossing the country without talking to anyone along the way when you could. paintball isn't violence, it's an adrenaline sport.

Peter Mounier
28-May-2013, 16:35
... paintball isn't violence, it's an adrenaline sport.

I held my tongue after your first asinine remark about shooting someone with a paint ball gun, but now again you're making another statement which is stupid. Regarding your first comment, you'd likely get arrested and charged with aggravated assault, if not assault with a deadly weapon. Regarding your second statement, paint ball is violence if you're the only one playing, and you're shooting an innocent person. What are you 12 years old? Grow up.

Vaughn
28-May-2013, 20:51
...Perhaps this kid is onto something, as LF (and film in general) has largely turned into performance art in the digital age...

I hope this is not true, but a wonderful insight nevertheless! But beyond the act of photographing, I also hope that the film camera/wet process will remain a viable art form, performance or otherwise.

Most of my time with an LF camera is alone in the landscape. But there are exceptions such as most of Yosemite Valley...and even some of the places up here in the redwoods can get right down crowded. Photographs of everything everywhere everyseason are out there on the net...dang photographers!

And with a crowd, using a 11x14 or 8x10 becomes a bit of a side show act. But by allowing others to look at the image on the GG -- parents lifting kids, photographer helping young ladies to examine the GG under the large darkcloth -- it goes from being just a side show to seeing someone practicing art with an interesting old device with which one can actually see the world upside down...and without a computer screen! But I suppose there is not a whole bunch separating a side show act and a re-inactment/living history presentation. My boys kid me that I am so last century. But I just remind them that carbon printing was from two centuries ago and they get too embarassed to continue.

I think it quite valid if this x-county chap decides somewhere in the vastness of America, that the speechless period is over and the performance requires something else...who knows what?! Too bad it is the post-Polaroid era...Type55 (or 54 if no neg is wanted) and his 4x5 would be more accessable to the people he met along the way and give them an opportunity to see their involvement with the process, even if they do not get a verbal explanation. My idea is far from original...various types of Polaroids have gone throughout the world, often wielded by photographers who did not know the local languages. They may have spoken, but they did not always understand, or were understood by, the locals.

jp
29-May-2013, 06:52
I held my tongue after your first asinine remark about shooting someone with a paint ball gun, but now again you're making another statement which is stupid. Regarding your first comment, you'd likely get arrested and charged with aggravated assault, if not assault with a deadly weapon. Regarding your second statement, paint ball is violence if you're the only one playing, and you're shooting an innocent person. What are you 12 years old? Grow up.

We're all 12 years old sometimes while being adults. I have no interest in getting arrested or hurting someone, consider the suggestion as an overactive imagination, as it would be improper to begin with, and impossible to film and share without implicating oneself as an accomplice. Paintball shenanigans as performance art would appeal greatly to younger men and provide good publicity for the walk otherwise.

E. von Hoegh
29-May-2013, 07:14
Or crossing the country without talking to anyone along the way when you could. paintball isn't violence, it's an adrenaline sport.
Excellent point.
The vow of silence thing is what bugs me about this whole spectacle, it just makes no sense except in the context of drawing more attention to him.

Jim Graves
29-May-2013, 12:31
Excellent point.
The vow of silence thing is what bugs me about this whole spectacle, it just makes no sense except in the context of drawing more attention to him.

Well, the point of Performance Art is to draw attention to the performer ... otherwise it is truly pointless.

And you'll have to admit he's started a lot of people not only thinking but talking passionately about what he's going to do even before doing it.

gleaf
29-May-2013, 14:55
Being a verbal, literate person I know what I already know. I don't know what you know. I need to listen to gain knowledge not speak. For some reason the brain receiver does not work when the send mode is running. I can and will help the silent one. I do think I will miss a lot I could learn. As the Wife department says... artistic People are Different... And some very unique. Silence seems to remove a portion of the sharing and with that a bit of what I might learn. Selfish me I suppose..

Jac@stafford.net
29-May-2013, 15:21
Being a verbal, literate person I know what I already know. I don't know what you know. I need to listen to gain knowledge not speak. [... snip excellent post ...]

Being late-life deaf person of adequate literacy I do not often speak at all because it is futile. I wish I had adopted the same practice forty-something years ago.

OMG! I just 'spoke'.

barnninny
29-May-2013, 19:09
Being a verbal, literate person I know what I already know. I don't know what you know. I need to listen to gain knowledge not speak.

Not to go all categorical imperative or anything, but: since the same is true for all of us, that's a very selfish way to live.

Scott Walker
14-Jun-2013, 06:50
4 days to go and $642 short of the $8,000 goal

Bruce Barlow
14-Jun-2013, 08:01
I'm 16,000 miles into a trip around the country living in a Chevy cargo van. 4x5, 5x7, and Canon 6D attached.

The whole POINT is to talk to people. The stories are wonderful, and the experiences life-changing. I've seen many alligators and met Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter. I've eaten alligator and Gullah Grub. I've walked the beaches of the Outer Banks and visited the Jersey Shore after Sandy. I've seen five of the most beautiful women I've ever seen outside a bar in Key West...except they weren't. I spent three hours talking to a radiologist in New Orleans at a bar over fried catfish. I drove the Natchz Trace and the Spanish Moss-lined roads in the SC low country.

And except for a short time in Louisiana, I have yet to cross the Mississippi. That's next, poised as I am in Wisconsin.

The silence part wouldn't work for me, and would deprive me of many, many fine experiences. I wish him well, and will give him a ride if he wants. All he has to do is nod.

Jac@stafford.net
14-Jun-2013, 14:39
Where in Wisconsin are you, Bruce?

Drew Wiley
14-Jun-2013, 15:15
Gas is a bit expensive and time a bit limited for me right now; and I'm mainly a backpacker when I do get somewhere. But one thing I miss about the road is stopping
in little hole-the-wall breakfast joints and striking up conversations with the locals. Often they'd tip me off about some secret location I shouldn't miss. And I just
enjoy touching base with my own rural roots from time to time. Often the food was good a very generous - much better than you get in those highway franchises.

Robert Langham
14-Jun-2013, 19:08
I spent eight days in the desert at Shiprock last week. I didn't talk to myself and spent the bulk of that time alone, but I didn't avoid talking to folks when I needed to. Great folks all around. It was enough solitude without pushing it.

jvo
14-Jun-2013, 19:55
definitely the road less traveled... and regardless of what happens he will have a unique story to tell - not a bad thing to have in life!

(i'm also one of the "fools" who contributed:eek:)

p.s. you do hear a lot more when you mouth isn't moving!

Otto Seaman
14-Jun-2013, 22:46
After he finishes his walk, he'll do another Kickstarter to adapt his story to film.

(Except it's already been done.)

gleaf
15-Jun-2013, 04:58
He had his trial run scheduled for a start on the ninth. Looking forward to some feedback.
I am local diner fellow myself , find out where the locals eat, follow and enjoy.
We used to joke we looked for the places where the EAT sign was hand painted and perhaps misspelled.

Scott Walker
17-Jun-2013, 07:02
It appears that those of us that did contribute are going to have to pay up.
He reached his goal plus a $25.00 cushion with 27 hours left to go.

Kirk Gittings
17-Jun-2013, 08:49
He had his trial run scheduled for a start on the ninth. Looking forward to some feedback.
I am local diner fellow myself , find out where the locals eat, follow and enjoy.
We used to joke we looked for the places where the EAT sign was hand painted and perhaps misspelled.

Eet?

Jac@stafford.net
17-Jun-2013, 09:55

Two rules my best traveled photographer friends made over the many years, 1. Never eat at a place that advertises Home Cooking, and 2. the more calendars from local businesses on the wall, the more likely the food is good.

Pulling off the road in far Southern Illinois at 4AM after driving through the night in fog I came across a place with a big hand-painted sign, "Coffa Cuppy". It was heaven!

Hopwood04
24-Jun-2013, 18:11
Remaining silent isn't going to lead to any suspicious altercations what so ever... :confused:

Kirk Gittings
24-Jun-2013, 21:33
the more calendars from local businesses on the wall, the more likely the food is good.

From William Least Heat Moon's Blue Highways?

Jac@stafford.net
25-Jun-2013, 11:22
From William Least Heat Moon's Blue Highways?

Exactly. In fact it was Willie and Drake Hokanson who told me over an enlightening lunch that there were fourteen calendars there.

Thanks for the reference.

Jim Graves
9-Jul-2013, 16:31
Here's a link to his update on the Kickstarter project .... a video in which he describes and "explains" what and why he's doing this ... and in which he begins his vow of silence for the year ... performance art already: LINK (http://vimeo.com/69993135)

gth
9-Jul-2013, 20:25
Looks like the 4x5 and tripod did not make it to the start line.
Oh, well, served the "Kickstarter" money grab well I guess.
Why am I not surprised? What a joke!!

gleaf
18-Jul-2013, 18:29
Some of us offered him advice like: "check the load rating of your wheels bearings"c. Perhaps its my fault he listened to sound safety advice. Was there any utility in your contribution?

Jim Graves
18-Jul-2013, 21:33
Well ... actually, he did take his camera ... not the one in the original story, but a Chamonix 045f1.

His the photo of his start:

jnantz
19-Jul-2013, 06:48
naaah, doesn't sound like a money grab or a joke
it sounds like he is following through on what he set out to do ...

its good to see people doing things like this ..

Vaughn
19-Jul-2013, 10:11
He should have upped the Kickstarter amount and gotten a mono walker...

http://www.gizmag.com/monowalker-hikingtrailer-backpack-trailer/17668/

I wish him luck! What a great adventure!

Vaughn

Jim Graves
22-Jul-2013, 12:06
Gregg appears to be about 40 miles past New Haven, CT (about 200 miles from his start in Nashua, NH) ... 1/4 of the way to Cleveland, OH where he will turn south to Florida, thence west to Texas, north-west to Salt Lake City, west to San Francisco, then south to L.A.

He has changed his plan of total non-verbal communication to one of total non-oral communication and has begun exchanging written notes with people on his route. He had written in his Kickstarter entry that he expected the road would alter some of the goals as he trekked. Here's the explanation from his Facebook Page by his brother: Very early out of the gate he realized that writing was needed so as not [to] be rude to people. Not to be shunned and need to avoid contact with people.

If you wish to follow his progress ... there have already been a photo, several contact entries, and a video posted by people who met him on the road ... here's the link to his Facebook page: LINK (https://www.facebook.com/groups/GregHindyWalkinginsilence/?hc_location=stream)

[NOTE: If you're not used to Facebook, you can expand the comments on each entry by clicking on the "Read 'x' more comments"]

Light Guru
22-Jul-2013, 12:11
He has changed his plan of total non-verbal communication to one of total non-oral communication and has begun exchanging written notes with people on his route. He had written in his Kickstarter entry that he expected the road would alter some of the goals as he trekked. Here's the explanation from his Facebook Page by his brother: Very early out of the gate he realized that writing was needed so as not [to] be rude to people. Not to be shunned and need to avoid contact with people.

How could he not see that before he started?

Corran
22-Jul-2013, 12:14
Huh, he'll be near me when (if?) he gets to this side of the USA. Does he already have plans for staying with folks on the journey?

I applaud him for what will be a strenuous journey...if he is in the area I'd totally be willing to give him a bed for a night. Though it sounds like he won't be much of a conversationalist!

Jim Graves
22-Jul-2013, 12:14
Nobody said he was smart and/or insightful ... after all, he's a Yale grad ... and we all know what those are like.

Corran
22-Jul-2013, 12:16
It's still so disturbing to me how some folks can be so flippant and downright rude and arrogant about such trifling things like his alma mater. Grow up!

Otto Seaman
22-Jul-2013, 12:33
Have you ever met any Yale grads?

(I meant bowed before their greatness?)

Peter Mounier
22-Jul-2013, 12:43
I think this is treading awfully close to being political. Which makes it difficult to agree with Jim and stay away from politics at the same time.

Corran
22-Jul-2013, 13:19

Yes, my flute professor throughout my undergrad and grad program was a Yale graduate. A friend of mine is getting his Master's there right now. No politics involved here - having preconceived notions about anyone based on their place of study is simply arrogant.

Jim Graves
22-Jul-2013, 14:14
It's still so disturbing to me how some folks can be so flippant and downright rude and arrogant about such trifling things like his alma mater. Grow up!

Nothing "arrogant" or "rude" intended ... sorry if you took it that way ... but I think that is on you ... not me.

I would have loved to have gone to Yale ... and, trust me, I grew up a long time ago.

It was just a tongue-in-cheek comment ... an off-the-cuff comment about why Greg hadn't figured out the supposedly obvious before he left on his trek.

Are we getting a little too sensitive out there???????

Corran
22-Jul-2013, 14:54
I am sorry but some of the comments here in this thread and others really rub me the wrong way. You might not have meant it that way - fine. But a lot of people do, and act like a degree automatically means the person is a bookish snob with no real-world experience or skills.

So, I think we could all be a little more conscientious about what we say and how we "judge" others.

Jim Graves
22-Jul-2013, 15:25
So, I think we could all be a little more conscientious about what we say and how we "judge" others.

I agree completely ... judgment should be left to those without fault.

Questioning comments are fine ... offhand sarcastic comments are fine ... but I really wonder at some of the openly hostile comments posted without knowing anything about Greg. I certainly don't know anything about him either ... but until I learn otherwise I will support what he is doing ... I contributed to his Kickstarter and have offered to host him at my home on his trek.

His Yale credentials are only of note to me because they add interest to the story ... as you can tell from the various comments on this thread.

Jim Graves
4-Aug-2013, 20:40
DAY 26:

The Westward trek continues ... Greg is about half-way to Cleveland where he is expected to turn south to Florida ... currently in or near Carbondale, PA.

About 300+ miles covered ... lost 4 days in the second week in New Haven with shin splints and seeking treatment for a spider bite today at ... appropriately ... a "walk-in clinic."

It's reported that spirits are still high and humor good.

John Kasaian
5-Aug-2013, 09:25
has he said anything yet?

David Karp
5-Aug-2013, 09:45
has he said anything yet?

Wait until he pulls his darkslide and realizes that he forgot to close the preview lever!

Light Guru
5-Aug-2013, 09:54
DAY 26:

The Westward trek continues ... Greg is about half-way to Cleveland where he is expected to turn south to Florida ... currently in or near Carbondale, PA.

About 300+ miles covered ... lost 4 days in the second week in New Haven with shin splints and seeking treatment for a spider bite today at ... appropriately ... a "walk-in clinic."

It's reported that spirits are still high and humor good.

Shin splints on the second week, there is no way he will make it across the country.

Michael_4514
5-Aug-2013, 12:07
hi brian

its obvious he is LOADED because he is using a large format camera and film. :)
as we all know, a 4x5 + film are ONLY used by the well off, not to mention the cards he plans on using to communicate
with people, they must have cost a fortune!

john

Darn right! Did you see that camera, a Calumet c400? Nothing but top of the line gear. I should know, I just sold one on ebay for $49.00. You gotta be in the top 1 percent to have that kind of scratch.

Michael_4514
5-Aug-2013, 12:10

I sure have. One of my closest friends was a graduate with an Masters in theatre (playwriting). Worked as a bartender in a dive in the lower east side all his life. Passed away two years ago. One of the most humble, honest, down to earth, not to mention funny, loyal and not rich people that I have ever known.

Michael_4514
5-Aug-2013, 12:13
I'm dumbfounded by the number of negative, mean spirited and judgmental comments about this kid. I applaud him and wish that I had been aware of this project in time to have donated some money and an old Calumet c400 to his effort.

Light Guru
5-Aug-2013, 12:20
Darn right! Did you see that camera, a Calumet c400? Nothing but top of the line gear. I should know, I just sold one on ebay for $49.00. You gotta be in the top 1 percent to have that kind of scratch.

He is NOT taking a calumet c400 he is taking along a Chamonix 045f1 thats a $1000+ body. He got the new camera after the kickstarter project. The purchase of the camera is noted on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GregHindyWalkinginsilence/?hc_location=stream

Denise Dognini
6-Aug-2013, 09:22
I tend to analyze all this story from a different angle: being a female and living in Brazil would definetely forbid me to launch in such adventure (maybe that's why it sounds so romantic and attractive to me).
I don't see the point of not talking, but it's his life, his journey... I wish him good luck!

Jim Graves
6-Aug-2013, 17:36
He is NOT taking a calumet c400 he is taking along a Chamonix 045f1 thats a $1000+ body. He got the new camera after the kickstarter project. The purchase of the camera is noted on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GregHindyWalkinginsilence/?hc_location=stream

Yup ... he did buy a Chamonix for the trip ... at less than a third the cost of an Ebony ... and 1/2 the weight of a Calumet (which is apparently worth $49 at market value) ... I guess maybe that Yale education did come in handy.

munz6869
6-Aug-2013, 19:12
Lunatics with impractically large cameras... isn't that kind of our mission statement here?

Marc!

Kirk Fry
6-Aug-2013, 22:11
Don't dump on the Calumet. Built like a main battle tank and really not all that heavy, especially if you don't use a boat anchor lens. The problem with 4x5 is not the camera, it is all other falderal you have to deal with.

Vaughn
6-Aug-2013, 22:32
Lunatics with impractically large cameras... isn't that kind of our mission statement here?

Marc!

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Jim Graves
20-Aug-2013, 15:18
6-WEEK UPATE:

Gregg has covered approximately 670 miles ... south from New Hampshire, through Massachusetts and Connecticut, across the bottom tip of New York, across Pennsylvania and is now south of Andover, Ohio .. about 20 miles to his scheduled stop in Youngstown, Ohio (where his aunt lives.)

He plans to turn south to Louisiana and across to Texas during the winter months, then head north to Colorado, west through Salt Lake City and San Francisco then south to Los Angeles with an anticipated arrival in July 2014.

He's still not talking but has been communicating by writing notes.

He has mailed one 50-sheet box of undeveloped 4x5 film back to his father and some color film to a processor who contacted Gregg's father to tell him they turned out and were perfectly exposed.

If you'd like to follow his progress and read stories from those who've come in contact with him ... here's the link to the Facebook page his family set up: LINK (https://www.facebook.com/groups/GregHindyWalkinginsilence/?hc_location=stream)

cgrab
23-Aug-2013, 09:53
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Me too. At least my friends and family would say. Dragging a heavy and slow camera somewhere, setting it up, moving it around, taking so much time for a picture. In the meantime I could have posted 73 cellphone pics on my blog, linked to facebook and twittered about it, like reasonable folks do. Just being a show-off, and I am only shooting medium format...

I love the idea of being able to pay someone to shut up for a year. I can think of entire professions where that option should be made mandatory.

Jim Cole
25-Aug-2013, 05:01
I love the idea of being able to pay someone to shut up for a year. I can think of entire professions where that option should be made mandatory.

Perfect!

jnantz
25-Aug-2013, 10:56
6-WEEK UPATE:

Gregg has covered approximately 670 miles ... south from New Hampshire, through Massachusetts and Connecticut, across the bottom tip of New York, across Pennsylvania and is now south of Andover, Ohio .. about 20 miles to his scheduled stop in Youngstown, Ohio (where his aunt lives.)

He plans to turn south to Louisiana and across to Texas during the winter months, then head north to Colorado, west through Salt Lake City and San Francisco then south to Los Angeles with an anticipated arrival in July 2014.

He has mailed one 50-sheet box of undeveloped 4x5 film back to his father and some color film to a processor who contacted Gregg's father to tell him they turned out and were perfectly exposed.

If you'd like to follow his progress and read stories from those who've come in contact with him ... here's the link to the Facebook page his family set up: LINK (https://www.facebook.com/groups/GregHindyWalkinginsilence/?hc_location=stream)

thanks for the update !
i wish i had a FB account ...

Jim Graves
11-Sep-2013, 08:18
9-WEEK UPATE:

Greg just reached 1000+ miles ... south from New Hampshire, through Massachusetts, Connecticut, the bottom tip of New York, Pennsylvania,and into Ohio ... made his stop in Youngstown, Ohio (where his aunt lives), Then went south along the Ohio River to Parkersburg, WV and then due east to Winchester, VA arriving there yesterday.

His goal was to reach Winchester on September 15 ... so he's about 5 days ahead of his loose schedule and still averaging over 20 miles each day he's walking (he's stopped a couple of times for a respite ... in New Haven Connecticut and Youngstown, OH but otherwise is walking approximately 6 days and resting 1 day.)

Next he's heading south to Florida and across to Texas during the winter months, then north to Colorado, west through Salt Lake City and San Francisco then south to Los Angeles with an anticipated arrival in July 2014.

Jim Galli
11-Sep-2013, 19:33
I'm dumbfounded by the number of negative, mean spirited and judgmental comments about this kid. I applaud him and wish that I had been aware of this project in time to have donated some money and an old Calumet c400 to his effort.

Just looked at this today for the first time.

Anybody know who George Schuster is? If not, google him. 1873 - 1972. He drove a 1907 Thomas Flyer, for all practical purposes, around the world. Think of all the other people that lived in that 99 year period and google doesn't have a thing to say about them.

It's all about the journey, people. What a bunch of retards.

Thinking about this for a while today. I'm 61 now. A grumpy old fart. Can't retire any time soon. So that means I'm working for a bunch of kids half my age. You know what the glaring thing about the 30 something generation is? They have no life experience except sitting in front of an X-box. And the Safety Nanny Environment we have as a result of that is sickening. I expect them to install safety harnesses on the toilet by some time next week. Makes me wanna puke. And the reason is Zero life experience.

At least this guy is out stubbing his toes while all you old fat guys sit at your computer and denigrate him.

He's welcome in Tonopah if he gets there on his way to San Francisco. I'll provide a shower and a rack for him any day.

Hugo Zhang
11-Sep-2013, 19:56
Jim,

We really don't have much time to explore the world in a way we want as we grow older. I know you can't retire, but why can't we do something "crazy" like taking a 24 months break and roaming the earth without planed destinations with our old wooden cameras and older lenses? Think about it! You can even finance this wild dream with that pile of old lenses! That 24 months can easily strentch longer. Of course, there is risks. Hey, we only live only and we should live dangerously to live it full!!!

Jim Galli
11-Sep-2013, 20:01
Jim,Of course, there is risks. Hey, we only live once and we should live dangerously to live it full!!!

Too old to walk across America, but I'm taking a bone stock Model A Ford up to Montana in October. I still love the journey!

Hugo Zhang
11-Sep-2013, 20:18
I should take you someday to bum across China, with your Model A or not! I like the idea that you don't even speak Chinese. :)

Jim Graves
23-Sep-2013, 17:09
Interesting Meetup --- here's an email from someone who met Greg on his way, sent to Greg's Dad ... just thought it was worth sharing ... a bit spiritual ... and I'm not at all spiritual ... and I have a feeling Greg is not either ... but I'll let y'all judge ... thought it was worth sharing to show the impact of his project on the people he meets:

"This morning my family and I had the wonderful opportunity to meet your son! We live across the street from Baptist Church in Suffolk, VA. We woke up this morning to spot Greg camping in the parking lot. Thinking he was homeless, my parents endeavored to feed him. We were happy to find out that he was, in fact, not homeless, but on a journey. He ate breakfast here, drank some coffee, had a hot shower, accompanied us to church, and ate lunch with us before he set out again on the road. He seems to be doing well. We enjoyed meeting him, he is quite inspirational. My dad says, 'It is a humbling experience to realize that people make do with so little, and yet have such a highly spiritual and rich life. Greg opened my eyes today to many things and I am very grateful to have met him.'"

[edited to delete Greg's specific location and route]

"We will be praying for Greg and feel free to email back and ask questions!"

[I responded with more questions and received an additional email, cut and pasted below{this entry from his Dad on the Facebook page}:]

"It was no problem at all to reach out to Greg, we enjoyed him so much!"

"I can imagine that you both would be very thirsty for information. He appeared to be in good health, he is slender but seems well fed. I would guess all the walking would attribute to his lanky figure. Greg seemed to be content- he had a ready smile and was very communicative despite his silence. The silence didn't hinder him at all. He didn't necessarily seem to be struggling with anything in particular; he shared that he feels that this journey is a spiritual journey as much as a physical one, and that he is discovering his relationship with God. Greg wrote in a notebook (that we kept), "In a sense, I am being still and letting God show himself." He didn't share any particular concerns. Actually he seemed quite non-burdened and wrote openly and candidly about not knowing where he will lay his head next. He commented that he had faith that God will provide him a safe place to rest. He seemed to me to have adapted very well to his vow of silence. He wrote, 'If I could communicate to you by thought, I would. Instead, writing is a nice and refreshingly slow communication.'"

"He also said he would write to us once is journey is finished. He told us this just before he left. He didn't give us specific information to give to you, but do know that he came to us safe and whole."

Jim Graves
24-Oct-2013, 10:45
Monthly Update ... now 15 weeks into the 52 week trek.

Greg is ahead of schedule and has arrived at his 3d stopover in Jacksonville, Florida having covered almost 2,000 miles from Nashua, NH ... South and West through Massachusetts, Connecticut, Southern New York, Pennsylvania ... South through Ohio to West Virginia ... then East through Virginia ... then South through North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia into Florida.

He will stay 2 days in Jacksonville, then head to Gainesville ... about 75 miles SSW and then will turn West skirting the Gulf Coast to Texas to his 4th scheduled stopover (his Uncle's house) ... then North to Colorado, then West again to Salt Lake, San Francisco, and Los Angeles for his projected arrival July 9, 2014.

He's sent home 12 fifty sheet boxes of exposed film so far ... 7 Tri-X 320 B&W ... 5 Portra 400 for a total of 400 exposures. The color goes to a lab and the B&W goes into a stack to develop when he gets home next July.

Greg is doing well and is still communicating by writing only ... per the Facebook entries from others, he's still meeting interesting people along the route.

photobymike
24-Oct-2013, 11:03
LOL LOL seems to me if he is going to push his gear he would have picked a lighter camera to lug around..... more power to him...and forest gump

Andrew O'Neill
24-Oct-2013, 11:07
I can just imagine the first words to pass his lips when he gets home..." &%$! Now I have to spend another 52 weeks developing/proofing all that %#* film!!" :)

Jac@stafford.net
24-Oct-2013, 12:47
Jim Galli: "Thinking about this for a while today. I'm 61 now. A grumpy old fart. Can't retire any time soon. So that means I'm working for a bunch of kids half my age."

I'm older, and worked for decades in that For Ever Young thing - a university. One day in class a student exclaimed, "Wow, Mr. Stafford, I just realized that you were born in the first half of the previous century!"

Once when I had to explain that there were no home computers (and few 'mainframes' - usually wire-wrapped breadboard machines) when I was their age, a student asked, "Then how did you get on the Internet?"

Vaughn
24-Oct-2013, 19:35
Thanks for the up-date, Jim. A wonderful adventure for him!

Kirk Gittings
24-Oct-2013, 19:38
At least this guy is out stubbing his toes while all you old fat guys sit at your computer and denigrate him.

He's welcome in Tonopah if he gets there on his way to San Francisco. I'll provide a shower and a rack for him any day.

well said

Jody_S
24-Oct-2013, 19:58
Too old to walk across America, but I'm taking a bone stock Model A Ford up to Montana in October. I still love the journey!

The journey is everything. Glad to hear he's doing well on his.

Thad Gerheim
24-Oct-2013, 21:05

I believe you might have been spotted getting gas in Challis, along Hwy 93 on your way to Montana. Some lady mentioned to me just the other day that she saw a really nice stock Model A Ford at the gas station!

jon.oman
25-Oct-2013, 08:02
I wish him the best in his travels, and look forward to seeing some of his images! I too would like to do something like this, but at 62, that is not going to happen. Too old, and too many responsibilities!

Drew Wiley
25-Oct-2013, 08:27
Kirk - I think you got it backwards .... It's mostly the young folks getting fat in front of their computers... Up in the mtns, most of the people backpacking are past
their mid-50's, some well past it. I run into people in their late 70's still at it. .. maybe not sprinters anymore, but who cares. Some teens and mid-twenties types in mild summer, generally on the sissie trails; but relatively few between that species of youth and Baby Boomer vintage. Even here in our local parks, which have
excellent public support, I've been informed of the formal strategy to try to keep the next generation of potential taxpayers interested in the extensive trail system, which is proving to be quite a challenge, since it's mostly baby-boomers using it now, at least the parts that are off-limits to trail bikes. It's a different world now. When I was a kid, I ran ten miles a day during school hours, but did my real exercise after school, that is, before the real real stuff on the weekend. Nowadays they want even their greasy pizza intravenously fed, so they don't have to stop fiddling with their e-toys. Well... my damn fifty-page report is probably
done on my own computerized ball-and-chain.... so back to it...

bob carnie
25-Oct-2013, 09:17
Drew maybe that explains some of your posts.

You were running 10 miles a day while you were at school... you were too busy to learn anything.

Drew Wiley
25-Oct-2013, 10:34
Nope. I finished high school in two years and they wouldn't let me out early. I was bored.... always learned ten times more on my own than in the system. Even in
college I mostly did independent study. When I was little my folks would take me out of school for weeks at a time, and I'd learn far more from my dad on the road than in school. He'd drive every tiny backroad in the West on geology field trips, and I was into field biology too. Various professors would drive way out of their
way and pick me for to go on field trips with their grad students. I was kinda the kid mascot. Then the state archaeology survey wanted me as a scout when I still
a kid ... so basically, I skipped a lot of classes, and in each instance, had the blessing of the school. None of those uptight meaningless parameters they use nowadays which are geared to rote memorization rather than thinking. Now my nephew is seriously thinking about dropping his geophysics career and doing geomorph field trips full time in eastern Oregon, since he's so much in demand for it. One way to get away from all these damn computers....

Jim Graves
27-Nov-2013, 01:20
20 WEEK Update ... into the 52 week trek.

Greg has now crossed Northern Florida and headed North into Alabama and has reached Birmingham where he purchased his third pair of shoes. He has passed 2500 miles and continues to zig-zag a little because he's covering so much distance and does not want to get too far ahead of schedule ... he's not due to arrive in Los Angeles, California until July 9, 2014 ... on his 23rd birthday.

He continues to honor his vow of silence and communicates only with flash cards and handwritten notes.

Here is a link to a map of his progress (it reflects his credit card purchases that his Dad has access to and is updated regularly): LINK (http://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=723809&x=-75.759092&y=41.527955&z=11)

He has sent another set of exposed film home for safe keeping ... he now has 10 boxes of 4x5 TXP (500 negatives) waiting for his return. At this rate he'll have somewhere around 1800 to develop when he gets home in July ... I can't even imagine!

He has also sent another much smaller set of color shots to a lab for development and they continue to look good.

Here's a very interesting post on the Facebook page which shows how much impact he's having on some people ... even someone who never saw him:

"Mr. Hindy,
I did not meet Greg. However, while stopping at a store near St Augustine, Florida, I found a note pad. It had Greg’s email address and his notes from his walk of silence. Cool reading and I hope he is still successful in the one year goal. I will keep the notes safe. If you or Greg want them, contact me and tell me where I can send them for you. Good Luck to Greg. He is my Hero version of "A Silent Forrest Gump" GO GREG..."

Here's a shot of Greg with his Chamonix taken at his 2-day Jacksonville, Florida stopover ... looking showered and rested:

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/GH Jacksonville.jpg

And, another shot of him on the road with his traveling gear. It was taken at a McDonald's restaurant where he met another person who found him and his project interesting enough to take a picture and post on the Face Book page ... near Montgomery, Alabama:

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Greg in Florida.jpg

Jim Graves
9-Jan-2014, 16:04
Half-way Update.

Today, Greg is six months into his year-long trek.

Approximate calculation of distance walked is 3925 miles. And a photo of today's position and route from NH.

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Hindy%20Map%201-9-14.jpg

Greg's father updates this online map daily from Greg's credit card receipt record ... here's the link if you wish to bookmark it and follow his progress for the last half of his journey: LINK (http://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=723809&x=-75.759092&y=41.527955&z=11)

And, of course you can follow on Facebook at "Greg Hindy -- One Year Performance: Walking, Silence"

gleaf
9-Jan-2014, 16:22
Greg is half way into the year today.

Tin Can
9-Jan-2014, 16:25
+1

Lucky guy too bad I'm too old and feeble to do anything but admire him.

John Kasaian
9-Jan-2014, 18:31
How does he ask for directions to the lavatory?

bob carnie
10-Jan-2014, 07:58
When you got to go you got to go , no amount of talking will do.

How does he ask for directions to the lavatory?

gleaf
16-Jan-2014, 17:08
Everyone recognizes the 'Potty Dance".

Jim Graves
9-Mar-2014, 19:18
8 Month Update

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Hindy%20map%20Mar2014.jpg

Greg is now into Arizona ... Looks like he will possibly go through Tucson then up to Salt Lake City ... and with an educated guess ... up to Boise, ID then over to Bend, Eugene, and Florence,OR (the coast) and down Hwy 101 along the Oregon Coast, thru the Redwoods, thru San Francisco and on down to LA ... maybe via Hwy 1 ... should be a great photo journey.

He's covered almost 5500 miles (tracking him by his credit card purchases) and has shot over 1000 4x5 negatives since he left New Hampshire on July 9, 2014. During that same time, I have shot approximately ten 8x10s and twelve 5x7s ... how many have you shot???

An amazing effort ... still keeping to his vow of silence ... the Facebook page trail is extraordinarily interesting reflecting the types of people he's met and influenced ... and the surprising impact on the people he's interacted with (LINK (https://www.facebook.com/groups/565214103539066/)).

And a link to his route ... via his credit card purchases that his Dad updated daily (when he was in the East and South) ... and every couple of days now that he's in the Southwest (where vistas are WAY broader and stores are MUCH farther apart): LINK (http://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=723809&x=-75.759092&y=41.527955&z=11)

Quite a journey!

gevalia
11-Mar-2014, 12:28

The degree from Yale is the tipoff.

Vaughn
11-Mar-2014, 12:44

Really?! Do most Yale students traditionally do such incredible things, connect with people one-on-one across the country, photograph with LF, and all?! Maybe I should talk to my son who is thinking of going to Stanford or Harvard. If I can't afford to send him to Stanford, might as well not afford to send him to Yale!

jnantz
11-Mar-2014, 12:51

why is this?

Tin Can
11-Mar-2014, 13:30
He's a young man gathering experience. That is never taught in any school. I'm glad he also has a good formal education.

I admire him.

alavergh
17-Mar-2014, 21:27
This is pretty cool. I'm happy with my life at the moment, but there's something to be said for not having anything to tie you down. Don't forget, if he does have loans, those don't start into repayment until 6 months after graduation, and then you can use up to 3 years of deferment.

Gallery259
18-Mar-2014, 13:30
If more people maybe did this than had degrees, the world might be a better space.................its a bit like Helen Keller being asked what it was like to be blind...........the reply was, what was it like to be able to see but have no vision. If the cap fits..............

Gallery259
18-Mar-2014, 13:32
No, he isn't crazy. This is absolutely beautiful.
It's perfectly possible he won't manage- accidents happen, we sometimes find ourselves weaker than we imagine, but he is planning to devote a year to testing himself. By the end he will know more about himself and his weaknesses than ever before. He might produce great photos, he might not, but that isn't really the point. Was there really a point to building the pyramids, or going to the moon? Is there really any 'point' to thousands of people running the London or New York marathons? The point is the experience itself, and I wish him well (even though my approval, and your disapproval probably mean nothing to him).

'Well said................I think its beautiful too.................not a waste.....would love to do it but with the talking............and my 5 x 7

dodphotography
5-Apr-2014, 08:52
When I graduated from a prestigious college I had to go work immediately... My parents fit in the middle, "too much money" for substantial aid but not poor enough for the full ride.

Kirk Gittings
5-Apr-2014, 09:39
He's a young man gathering experience. That is never taught in any school. I'm glad he also has a good formal education.

I admire him.

ditto

Jim Graves
9-Apr-2014, 18:58
9 MONTH UPDATE - 3/4 of the way through the commitment to walk cross-country in silence with a 4x5 camera.

Currently, Greg is in Utah ... headed North to Salt Lake City ... having covered over 6300 miles ... he recently traversed the difficult West Rim Trail in Zion Natl. Park (with his cart ... not an easy trek) and visited Bryce Canyon ... he is headed North ... probably into Idaho, across Oregon to the coast and then down the coast to Los Angeles.

Greg is averaging 23 miles per day over the 9 month period ... that is almost a marathon per day. Amazing!

Here are a couple of photos ... first is a map showing his credit card purchase locations since July 9, 2013 through April 9, 2014.
http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/Hindy%20Map%20April%2014%20copy.jpg

And, second is a photo taken by some people who ran into Greg after he had crossed the West Rim Trail in Zion and who were so worried about the conditions he was walking into that they went back up to where they had met him at the 8000' level ... traveled in their car until it became impassible and then jogged out about 4 miles further until they ran out of light ... the photo shows the footprints and cart wheel tracks in the snow he had left from that point ... .
http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/GH%20Zion%20snow%20tracks.jpg

Jim Cole
11-Apr-2014, 17:30
An amazing journey!

Thad Gerheim
28-Apr-2014, 19:26
Wouldn't you know it, after six months in the Frank Church river of No Return Wilderness my girlfriend and I fly out then go to the grocery store and the second person I have contact with is Greg Hindy. I feel bad that I didn't offer him a bath and a bed. He had been walking for 17hours 31 minutes 53.9 miles! https://www.facebook.com/groups/565214103539066/ I thought he looked a little sleepy from just getting up. He walked in the shadow of Idaho's tallest mountain and over a high pass in the dark, with wind and well below freezing. He's headed to where Lewis and Clark almost met their demise by starving or by Indians, but the Nez Pierce decided to save them instead. You might watch for him in Southern Washington.
The greatest world travelers pass through Challis ID, Bruce Barlow came through, then gave a great workshop in Stanley ID. And I think it might have been Jim Gali that was spotted at a gas station last year by a good looking lady.

Jim Graves
11-May-2014, 16:02
10 MONTH UPDATE --- of a 1 year walking trip with a 4x5 camera while maintaining a vow of silence.

Greg is just about to Lewiston, ID.

One of his most recent legs of interest was 110 miles of the old Lewis and Clark trail (now Hwy 12) from Lolo, MT to Kooskia, ID along the Lochsa and Clearwater Rivers.

He is expected to head almost due west to the coast and then all the way down the coast to Los Angeles.

He has now walked more than 7150 miles ... with approximately 1650 miles to go. He has been averaging just over 25 miles each day for the last three months which is what he needs to average over the next 59 days to reach L.A. by July 9 ... his target 1 year date from the start.

He has mailed back 250 4x5 color negatives (processed professionally) and 1250 b&w 4x5 undeveloped sheets.

The Facebook page that is following his progress is: Greg Hindy -- One Year Performance: Walking, Silence

Here's a photo of today's map (updated almost daily at this link: LINK (http://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=723809&x=-75.759092&y=41.527955&z=11))

http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/GH%20Map%20May.jpg

Tin Can
11-May-2014, 16:35
Good luck Greg and I do follow on FB.

What a wonderful journey!

billie williams
11-May-2014, 17:08
Good luck Greg and I do follow on FB.

What a wonderful journey!

+1

Jim Graves
11-Jun-2014, 22:04
1 Month To Go --- 11 Month Update

Greg is heading down California, having passed through the North Coast redwoods and is approaching some beautiful wine country before getting a full dose of civilization again when he transits the Bay area.

Special kudos to Hugo and Chamonix Camera for donating and air shipping a custom Chamonix carbon fiber lens board so Greg could add a 210mm lens to the 135mm he's been using for the majority of his trek. The lens reached Greg in Coos Bay, Oregon so he will have an extra arrow in his quiver for the majority of his west coast sprint south.

He is expected to continue on down the California Coast and to end his odyssey East of Los Angeles on July 9 ... his 23rd birthday ... exactly one year after he started Walking and Not Talking in Nashua, New Hampshire ... quite the accomplishment! On July 9th he will record his first spoken words since he started out and took his vow of silence.

He has passed 8,200 miles walked and is approaching 1800 4x5 photos on the trek.

His average daily distance the past 3 months is right at 30 miles per day ... an astonishing feat.

The link to his Facebook page is here: LINK (https://www.facebook.com/groups/565214103539066/).

The link to the map of his trip (updated daily) is here: LINK (http://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=723809&x=-75.759092&y=41.527955&z=11)

Here is a photo of the map of his route through 6/10/2014:
http://home.comcast.net/~mary.j.graves/GH%2006112014.jpg

munz6869
11-Jun-2014, 22:55
That's amazing!

Marc!

Ari
11-Jun-2014, 23:02
Amazing indeed; I wish him a safe return home in the next few weeks.

jnantz
8-Jul-2014, 04:02
does anyone know if he finished yet ?
tomorrow is the 9th ...
( i don't facebook so i can't see his progress )

munz6869
8-Jul-2014, 04:33
This is what it says on facebook currently:

------------------------------------------------
CLEARED FOR FINAL APPROACH !!
------------------------------------------------
At this point, with about fifty miles and two days walking ahead of Greg, I think it's best to not be reporting Greg's positions ... But instead to wait for his arrival at his destination. He has expressed in various ways, over the months, that he wants to make his video and speak for the first time in private. Then he'll be talking Consistent with this, I'm asking folks, and media who have contacted me, to wait until July 9th to contact me and we can see how Greg wants to proceed. I will be there and will watch my email on my phone -- carl.hindy@gmail.com -- and will be happy to pass word along to our NoLongerSilent Walker!
Thanks to everyone for your tremendous support and encouragement, heartfelt feeling and sharing over these month. Wherever the journey leads, I hope folks will remain onboard.
For contacts on July 9th and 10th: carl.hindy@gmail.com

jnantz
8-Jul-2014, 05:41
Thanks!

bob carnie
8-Jul-2014, 05:52
Wow,, this guy did exactly what he said he was going to do, I admire him.

Corran
8-Jul-2014, 06:30
I'm curious as to what long-term disuse of the vocal cords can do to their health.
I assume he vocalized some when he was alone. I know I would, as a matter of health, and/or cursing when I dropped something important...! I took some vocal pedagogy classes and such and vocal health is a very important part of that.

jnantz
8-Jul-2014, 08:42
maybe he yodeled when no one was around ... ?

Jim Graves
8-Jul-2014, 18:24
Well, rumor has it that last night, Monday, 7/8, Greg was about 25 miles from his final destination ... so, given his average of around 25 miles/day ... he should make most of that today and have a short walk into his final desination on the 9th to record his final statement ...and first words in a year ... on Wednesday.

Andrew O'Neill
8-Jul-2014, 21:03
I'm curious as to what long-term disuse of the vocal cords can do to their health.
I assume he vocalized some when he was alone. I know I would, as a matter of health, and/or cursing when I dropped something important...! I took some vocal pedagogy classes and such and vocal health is a very important part of that.

I wonder if he talked in his sleep? :)
What an adventure, though! He'll have plenty to talk about. Hope he doesn't lose his voice..

Jim Graves
9-Jul-2014, 16:31
Latest word ... He has arrived at his destination ... Murrieta, CA ... will have made his videod statement by now ... should be available on his website and Facebook pages ... probably today.

Andrew Plume
12-Jul-2014, 11:22
it is, I believe

andrew

Tin Can
12-Jul-2014, 12:40
I followed him on facebook and his voice is just fine.

He is done and reunited with all who love him.

Great job and he is a student of Marina Abramovic, as am I.

jnantz
16-Jul-2014, 10:06
did he post the video yet ?
i didn't see it on his website ...

Tin Can
16-Jul-2014, 11:49
I am not aware of any postings, he may be working on that.

Let's give him some time.

did he post the video yet ?
i didn't see it on his website ...

Jim Graves
16-Jul-2014, 19:12
He has posted the video ... it is juxtaposed with the first video made a year ago ... just before heading out on the trek. The second half records his first words after arriving in LA.

It appears that he has scripted most of it ... as you would imagine he would with so much time to think about it ... and because it is a piece of performance art. That being said, it also appears that some ad-lib sneaks in there as the emotions seem to overwhelm him as he recalls some of the more emotional events that he went through.

Here is the link to the videos: LINK (http://vimeo.com/100627706)

jnantz
16-Jul-2014, 21:22
thanks jim ..
that was pretty intense ....

Tin Can
16-Jul-2014, 22:52
It was also honest. I respect that.

thanks jim ..
that was pretty intense ....

jnantz
17-Jul-2014, 05:19
It was also honest. I respect that.

same here ... a year with out talking and walking 9000 miles is a pretty intense experience.

Jim Graves
9-Aug-2014, 20:55
MONTHLY UPDATE

Yes ... Greg completed his cross-country trip on July 9 ... his 23rd birthday ... as scheduled ... ending just SE of Los Angeles.

Now ... you guessed it ... he's walking back across country to get home to New Hampshire. He will be walking a direct route and expects to arrive by early November.

This time, though, he is talking, texting, and has even forwarded a cell phone video of a look around somewhere near Bishop, California that his Dad posted on the Facebook page.

He started back in the last week of July heading North ... to get onto Hwy 395 ... and has already crossed the Mojave Desert and traversed the length of the Owens Valley. As of today he is just North of Bridgeport, California (about 320 miles) and should be hitting Hwy 50 East at Carson City, Nevada sometime Monday, August 11 ... in the afternoon or evening.

He'll follow 50 East from Carson City for about 400 miles and then turn North East onto Hwy 6 following it to Salt Lake City. So we're talking in the neighborhood of 550 miles ... about 3 weeks out in the middle of nowhere.

He has concerns about the long barren stretches coming up on Hwy 50 East ... the longest stretch without any services on that road is 83 miles ... which is about 3 days of walking at his normal pace.

So ... if you happen to be driving East on Hwy 50 during the next couple of weeks ... throw a couple of extra quarts of water in your cooler ... put a portrait lens on your LF camera and keep an eye out for a lone hiker pushing a cart ... he could use the water ... and company ... and would get a kick out of seeing a Large Format camera pointed at him as he treks down the road.

bob carnie
10-Aug-2014, 06:21
I think this guy is pretty awesome and would like to see his work once its all processed , if the content of imagery matches his commitment then it will be one hell of a show.

jnantz
10-Aug-2014, 13:02
I think this guy is pretty awesome and would like to see his work once its all processed , if the content of imagery matches his commitment then it will be one hell of a show.

+1

Jim Graves
9-Oct-2014, 09:40
2 MONTH UPDATE ---

Still walking! Greg was in Idalia, Colorado last night.

And now, some numbers:

Idalia's population is 88 and was at the end of a desserted 108 mile stretch from Byer's, Colorado (popu. 1,160.)

He headed out of north Denver on 10/3 and averaged 31 miles a day over the last 5 days ... must be feeling the pressure of winter approaching.

He has now covered 1805 miles on his return walk to New Hampshire. His grand total miles walked is just under 10,700 miles.

On the return trip he has gone from 1,000' elevation at Murietta, California through Leadville, Colorado - elevation 10,152' and is now back down to 3,963' at Idalia.

He has 1700 undeveloped 4x5 B&W films to develop waiting for him in New Hampshire ... along with 340 color negatives that have already been processed commercially ... and he's still making photographs.

He expects to arrive home in New Hampshire sometime in November.

Here's a photo taken by a concerned traveler just east of Byer's Colorado taken 3 days ago ... they stopped because they thought Greg had broken down and was pushing a baby stroller. They chatted, gave him some snacks, took this photo and headed on their way.

(click on image to enlarge)

And, here's a map showing his progress (from credit card use) ... the original silent trek in red dots (the interspersed blue dots are monthly intervals ... some are hidden ... there are 12 of them) and the yellow dots are the return trip with the farthest east yellow dot being Idalia, Colorado.

Peter Collins
9-Oct-2014, 13:41
wow, WOW!!

hoffner
9-Oct-2014, 13:44
2 MONTH UPDATE ---

Still walking!

Here's a photo taken by a concerned traveler just east of Byer's Colorado taken 3 days ago ... they stopped because they thought Greg had broken down and was pushing a baby stroller. They chatted, gave him some snacks, took this photo and headed on their way.

They chatted??? Wasn't it supposed to be a silent walk?

goamules
9-Oct-2014, 17:35
Wasn't this done in Little Miss Sunshine?
http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Dwayne-little-miss-sunshine-44161_1280_1024.jpg

perhaps without the camera part....

Jim Graves
9-Oct-2014, 19:55
They chatted??? Wasn't it supposed to be a silent walk?

It was silent for the 1 year walk from New Hampshire to California ... from July 9, 2013 to July 9, 2014 ... Greg is now walking back home to New Hampshire and is talking on the return trip.

Tin Can
11-Nov-2014, 10:45
Last weekend I had the pleasure of Greg Hindy's company. His trailer had lost a wheel bearing and I went to him, brought him to my loft for 3 nights and 4 days, while we tried to repair his Burley Travoy. Unbelievable, but the bearing was unobtainable. The number on it was for a different size! Never saw that before. 6001 ZZ is 12X28 mm. His actual part was 0.500" x 28mm or 1.100". I figure it was a bitza made of odd parts for China internal usage. I am a factory guy, I know factories often make up for mistakes, by selling them for a different market. Fel-Pro, my company, did it all the time.

He replaced the entire wheel, bearings, tire, tube, axle for a fairly low price. We got a Chicago bicycle shop to remove the wheel from their only Burley Travoy. Good guys at Village Cycle, Old Town.

I put him him back on his path, exactly where he left off, yesterday at 3pm. At that time he was in Central Illinois. Now heading home.

He is a remarkable young man of 23, who is very determined to successfully complete his walking and LF photography project. When I left him to his walking, it was almost 70 degrees and very windy. I could barely stand up. He got on his way quickly and walked out of sight. Today is rain and snow. He is camping.

We talked a lot, cooked and visited Chicago Art Institute Saturday and Sunday. We had planned to shoot 8x10 portraits of each other yesterday, but we found his parts early Monday morning and got him back to work. There was no time for the planned video interview. I have some audio and digital snaps I shot as he walked away.

I will post images soon.

Vaughn
11-Nov-2014, 12:26
Most excellent, Randy!

TXFZ1
11-Nov-2014, 12:33
Way to go, Randy.

David

bob carnie
11-Nov-2014, 12:43
Plus two.. very nice .. I think you have Canadian Blood ..

Way to go, Randy.

David

Tin Can
11-Nov-2014, 15:03
Plus two.. very nice .. I think you have Canadian Blood ..

Almost, born and raised Minnesota. And I go to Canada whenever possible.

bob carnie
11-Nov-2014, 15:05
It shows,,
very nice helping this person out and giving them a good resting place in time of need.. I am impressed Randy , you are welcome here in Toronto.

Almost, born and raised Minnesota. And I go to Canada whenever possible.

Tin Can
11-Nov-2014, 15:10
Enough about me. If you use FaceBook. Here is a FB his father started, Greg does not run it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/565214103539066/

Jac@stafford.net
11-Nov-2014, 16:32
Randy, I had a similar issue with a race and bearing for a British motorcycle. The 'code' on it was Russian!

Great that you met and helped the young man.

jnantz
11-Nov-2014, 17:03
Most excellent, Randy!

you can say THAT again!
nice guy you are randy :)

Kirk Gittings
11-Nov-2014, 18:20
Last weekend I had the pleasure of Greg Hindy's company. His trailer had lost a wheel bearing and I went to him, brought him to my loft for 3 nights and 4 days, while we tried to repair his Burley Travoy. Unbelievable, but the bearing was unobtainable. The number on it was for a different size! Never saw that before. 6001 ZZ is 12X28 mm. His actual part was 0.500" x 28mm or 1.100". I figure it was a bitza made of odd parts for China internal usage. I am a factory guy, I know factories often make up for mistakes, by selling them for a different market. Fel-Pro, my company, did it all the time.

He replaced the entire wheel, bearings, tire, tube, axle for a fairly low price. We got a Chicago bicycle shop to remove the wheel from their only Burley Travoy. Good guys at Village Cycle, Old Town.

I put him him back on his path, exactly where he left off, yesterday at 3pm. At that time he was in Central Illinois. Now heading home.

He is a remarkable young man of 23, who is very determined to successfully complete his walking and LF photography project. When I left him to his walking, it was almost 70 degrees and very windy. I could barely stand up. He got on his way quickly and walked out of sight. Today is rain and snow. He is camping.

We talked a lot, cooked and visited Chicago Art Institute Saturday and Sunday. We had planned to shoot 8x10 portraits of each other yesterday, but we found his parts early Monday morning and got him back to work. There was no time for the planned video interview. I have some audio and digital snaps I shot as he walked away.

I will post images soon.

Wow!! Good for you....doesn't surprise me after meeting you though.

Tin Can
11-Nov-2014, 20:23
Here is Greg having his high calorie, most affordable, fast food. He believes the dollar menu is the best value. He said it was about 1800 calories for $9 and he needed it to walk when I dropped him off. He had an hour in the car to digest it, and he said he normally would not eat that much at the start of a walking day, but he got back on his path at 3 pm. He then installs his new wheel and quickly gets going. We shook hands as he passed by me.

WARNING! These are digital full format images, but I think as documentation of his LF journey they are useful here. Move the thread if necessary. I had no time to shoot 4X5 as I wanted to. This is spray and pray, 500 full rez images at 3200 iso in 3 minutes. I was panning 180 degrees and may convert them into a YouTube movie.

Brian Bullen
11-Nov-2014, 20:58
Way to go, Randy!

appletree
12-Nov-2014, 10:11
I have been following him on facebook for a few months since I stumbled upon a link on the Chamonix website. Very awesome and nice of you Randy.

Tin Can
12-Nov-2014, 10:20
I see from his route he started walking Northeast, perhaps to put the really heavy winds at his back. Truck wind blast is a big problem for him. We talked of wind and birds, both topics any exposed traveller is well aware of.

appletree
12-Nov-2014, 10:24
I would imagine a young man (well anyone for that matter) would have a lot to talk about after travelling by foot for the past what, 15 months or something.
I bet he will end up with some amazing photos as well. A life changing experience, I imagine.

Jac@stafford.net
12-Nov-2014, 16:35
We
talked of wind and birds, both topics any exposed traveller is well aware of.

Birds! And country dogs. A peace-love kinda friend who was also a bicycle pro celebrated the end of his conscientious objector alternative service in 1969 by riding one of his bicycles from my place in Chicago (Lincoln & Fullerton, Randy) to Massachusetts to marry his sweetheart.

When they both returned to Chicago we met for our ritual chess and beer session. His adventure cracked him. He said that between the harassment from territorial Red Wing black birds and ankle biting farm dogs he was considering the carry of a firearm next time. There was not a next time. So much for passive resistance.

Tin Can
12-Nov-2014, 16:42
So far one dog bite for Greg. I was a teenage mailman, dogs are Hell on postal workers.

Jac@stafford.net
14-Nov-2014, 17:43
So far one dog bite for Greg. I was a teenage mailman, dogs are Hell on postal workers.

I had a semi-rural a rural newspaper route and found that tossing the dogs salt-water taffy did the job. They would be crying trying to unstick their jaws.

AuditorOne
14-Nov-2014, 18:03
I used that same trick during my various walking/hitchhiking trips in my youth. Works well. Did have an old fella in Iowa come after me with a shotgun claiming I was trying to poison his dog. Once I showed him the taffy and explained why I used it he started laughing and walked away. Scared me half to death though. But didn't stop me from tossing the dogs the taffy.

I always wondered if a big chunk would work on bears? Never had the guts to go and try though. :)

Tin Can
14-Nov-2014, 18:24
I had a semi-rural a rural newspaper route and found that tossing the dogs salt-water taffy did the job. They would be crying trying to unstick their jaws.

They gave us Mace. One short application killed a dog that miss richie rich would not control. I had had it and she let that dog torture me for weeks.

I didn't even feel bad.

Rural dogs love to trip a motorcycle on gravel roads, they angle right for the front wheel in an attempt to knock you down. The key is to slow down, let them get their attack under way and goose it right away from them. Gravel makes it all the more interesting. The dog has the advantage.

Jac@stafford.net
14-Nov-2014, 18:38
Randy, it is the herding instinct in most dogs. My Great Pyrenees could not be bothered with vehicles. His targets were predators.

That is my darlin with the big dog.

Tin Can
14-Nov-2014, 18:51
Randy, it is the herding instinct in most dogs. My Great Pyrenees could not be bothered with vehicles. His targets were predators.

That is my darlin with the big dog.

Either she is kneeling or that dog is bigger than most of the breed. I just googled and 60 kilos was it...

Jac@stafford.net
14-Nov-2014, 19:09
Either she is kneeling or that dog is bigger than most of the breed. I just googled and 60 kilos was it...

BigDog was oversize at about 32" at the shoulder, and thanks to our good care (or fate) he lived to 11 years-old, I am stilled moved to tears missing him.

AuditorOne
22-Nov-2014, 16:46
Most dogs love a good chase whether they have a herding instinct or not.

Jim Graves
25-Nov-2014, 19:49
Here's a video of Greg with a bit of an interview (yes, he's talking on the return walk.) One of the Facebook followers caught up to him on the highway in Ohio on a particularly bitter day last week.

After he filmed him on the road, he bought him lunch at a fast food restaurant and recorded a conversation with Greg. Greg's comments about his 4x5 and his photography at about 7.5 minutes into the video are very interesting.

After lunch he dropped Greg back at the spot where he found him and Greg continued on.

He is averaging a little over 30 miles per day right now and is just about to cross the Ohio/Pennsylvania border headed East. He just passed a total of 12,000 miles walked since he started in July 2013.

He hopes to be home in New Hampshire before Christmas.

Here's the link to the video: LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLUmeFvgZL0&feature=youtu.be)

And, here's a link to a map that shows his route ... red dots on the way out West (Blue dots show monthly intervals) and yellow dots on the return route: LINK (http://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=723809&x=-75.759092&y=41.527955&z=11)

Winger
25-Nov-2014, 22:40
Thanks for the map, Jim! Argh! He was within 15 miles of me, but I didn't know it. I wish him well! The weather is getting ickier in the northeast, so I hope he gets home soon.

gleaf
27-Nov-2014, 14:38
Thank you for the links. 2000 sheets of 4 x 5 so far. That will take a fair amount of chemistry. Anyone else thinking of kicking in some help on the chemistry side?

bob carnie
28-Nov-2014, 08:36
Once again I think this dude is incredible... I imagine with his fortitude he will take his time and process out each sheet himself, contact each sheet himself, and print each image himself.

I am in awe of his whole project.

Tin Can
28-Nov-2014, 10:32
Once again I think this dude is incredible... I imagine with his fortitude he will take his time and process out each sheet himself, contact each sheet himself, and print each image himself.

I am in awe of his whole project.

Pretty sure that's his plan. He father even hinted to me to open up my darkroom to him.

That's a possibility, but I do live here and have no extra bedroom, only a small couch...

Greg mentioned finding a darkroom closer to Boston.

I figure unless he finds a production darkroom, with some way of speeding up developing he has months of just developing work everyday.

10 4up hangers a day is 40 negs a day.

A method might be to examine and sleeve 40 negs each morning. Develop 40 in tanks and hangers in afternoon and dry at night.

Some might say faster, but to preserve sanity 8 hour days may be plenty, over a 3 month program.

Then select 10% and start printing. Thats 200 prints. Which could take another month or much longer.

Oops, now we need to matt and bag at least. Framing?

Obviously a big job regardless.

Greg also mentioned grad school, which I bet he does.

I don't think many 1st year grad students get to complete an old project. But all things Art are mutable.

I offered to write him a letter of recommendation for Grad school. He is considering many schools.

He needs to get home safe right now. He just passed EMLENTON, PA, on way to New Haven.

bob carnie
28-Nov-2014, 14:40
Well as far as kickstarters this is right up there with Bill Schwabs efforts with photostock.. something we could all help in our small ways.

I see a lot of projects in a given year and from the get go this journey has much promise for a grand show or book.

Tin Can
28-Nov-2014, 15:07
Well as far as kickstarters this is right up there with Bill Schwabs efforts with photostock.. something we could all help in our small ways.

I see a lot of projects in a given year and from the get go this journey has much promise for a grand show or book.

Exactly.

Greg has many options. Last time I saw him, I advised him to consider his end product. No advise on what he SHOULD do, but to just think about it.

He has a lot to work with, both with his images and his skills. He also knows way more photo history than I ever will.

It will be interesting!

bob carnie
28-Nov-2014, 15:11
Randy -- Photo History--- It all started with Drew and it will all end with Drew... what else is there to know.

Tin Can
28-Nov-2014, 15:16
Randy -- Photo History--- It all started with Drew and it will all end with Drew... what else is there to know.

Easterner meets Westerner.

I'll stay out of that.

gleaf
29-Nov-2014, 06:16
Many blessings come in the knowledge of those who inhabit this corner of web space.

My brain was stuck in tank line, chemistry volume, and replenishment mode. Had not processed the time factor.

Hmmm more things to ponder.

Thank You

Larry Gebhardt
29-Nov-2014, 11:39
Greg mentioned finding a darkroom closer to Boston.

Greg is welcome to use my darkroom if he needs a place to develop his film or make some prints. I'm in Amherst, NH. I've got a Jobo if need be, though taking the time and developing by inspection might be the better option.

Jim Graves
26-Dec-2014, 14:26
Greg completed his return trek two days ago, December 24, 2014, ending up from where he started on July 9, 2013 ... Nashua, New Hampshire.

Total miles walked was 12,658 ... return trip totaled 3,764 miles. There were several stretches where Greg averaged over 30 miles per day. He walked 52 miles on Tuesday, December 23, 2014 so he could make it home on Christmas eve.

He took somewhere over 1500 4x5 black and white photos that he has periodically mailed home that are still waiting for him to develop. He has close to 360 color 4x5 photos that were sent directly to a lab for processing during the trip - he will be seeing those for the first time this week.

Greg plans to enroll at the New England School of Photography in Boston, Massachusetts in the upcoming term to begin processing his images.

All-in-all, an absolutely incredible accomplishment.

bob carnie
27-Dec-2014, 07:32
Great accomplishment , I wish Greg all the best in his future photographic endeavors. I think he put all the doubters to shame....

Greg completed his return trek two days ago, December 24, 2014, ending up from where he started on July 9, 2013 ... Nashua, New Hampshire.

Total miles walked was 12,658 ... return trip totaled 3,764 miles. There were several stretches where Greg averaged over 30 miles per day. He walked 52 miles on Tuesday, December 23, 2014 so he could make it home on Christmas eve.

He took somewhere over 1500 4x5 black and white photos that he has periodically mailed home that are still waiting for him to develop. He has close to 360 color 4x5 photos that were sent directly to a lab for processing during the trip - he will be seeing those for the first time this week.

Greg plans to enroll at the New England School of Photography in Boston, Massachusetts in the upcoming term to begin processing his images.

All-in-all, an absolutely incredible accomplishment.

Tin Can
27-Dec-2014, 08:16
Yes, congratulations Greg. A plan well executed and mission accomplished.

That final day of 52 miles must have been a real march.

I am very glad he made it home safe and sound.

George E. Sheils
27-Dec-2014, 10:47
Yes, congratulations Greg. A plan well executed and mission accomplished.

That final day of 52 miles must have been a real march.

I am very glad he made it home safe and sound.

Hear ! Hear !

arca andy
30-Dec-2014, 02:04
An epic, awe inspiring, life affirming trip. I bet we haven't heard (?) the last from this remarkable man. Happy Christmas Greg

steveo
30-Dec-2014, 05:15
I'd be utterly terrified to start development and discover a fault with the gear early on, whilst it wouldn't take away from the experience it would still be gutting.

Also where do you start with thousands of sheets of film!

Vaughn
30-Dec-2014, 10:46
I'd be utterly terrified to start development and discover a fault with the gear early on, whilst it wouldn't take away from the experience it would still be gutting...

BTDT, bought the T-shirt. It was not pretty, even tho it was only a three-month trip.

Tin Can
30-Dec-2014, 11:26
Greg shot 25% color that was developed over time already. Hopefully he got feedback from those when he paused in between the silent and the more interactive sections. He did say his shutter started sticking in the last month. I think he well is aware of technical issues. But there must be great deal of eagerness to start developing. When he was in my darkroom for 3 days he did not want to process any film. He wanted to talk, and we did! We ranged widely on topic, ate well and visited Chicago Art Institute twice.

Jim Graves
30-Dec-2014, 22:43
The color lab that Greg used throughout the trip reported as each set was developed ... all were well exposed ... this was relayed to Greg from his father during the occasional contacts back home.

By the time the shutter started sticking intermitently on his 135mm lens Greg had received a 210mm forwarded to him at Gold Beach, Oregon from Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange (on a lens board donated by Hugo and Chamonix) ... so he had an alternative. And, Jim had the shutter times checked before the 210 was sent out so Greg could be pretty confident with that one at least.

Jim Graves
7-Jan-2015, 12:05
Greg is welcome to use my darkroom if he needs a place to develop his film or make some prints. I'm in Amherst, NH. I've got a Jobo if need be, though taking the time and developing by inspection might be the better option.

Larry ... I've sent you a PM about Gregg possibly taking you up on your offer.

Larry Gebhardt
16-Jan-2015, 20:26
Greg has started developing his film at school. However he isn't getting along with the hangers. What he's used in the past has been a slosher tray. However they are out of stock at B&H and the formulary. Does any one know of one for sale, or have one they coul loan Geg for a little bit (1800 sheets worth)?

The other option is to build one. Which I could probably do in an afternoon.

I'll add a wanted ad as well.

Larry Gebhardt
17-Jan-2015, 19:13
A slosher is on its way to Greg. Thanks.

Tin Can
17-Jan-2015, 19:14
+1.

Tin Can
24-Dec-2015, 11:50
Carl Hindy, Greg Hindy's father requested I post Greg's upcoming event. Dad and I are FB pals, we often chat. Greg is very busy with school.

It is on January 28, 7:00-8:30 pm, the theater room of the Nashua Public Library, Court Street, Nashua, NH.

http://www.eventkeeper.com/code/friend_captcha.cfm?curOrg=NASHUA&curHelp=&tEvt=4085841

Below are screen grabs, uprez only does so much with #2.

Go if you can.

Mick Fagan
24-Dec-2015, 18:13
I wonder if he has thought about doing a silent presentation, it would be quite interesting just hearing what the audience comments are?

Mick.

Tin Can
24-Dec-2015, 18:23
I wonder if he has thought about doing a silent presentation, it would be quite interesting just hearing what the audience comments are?

Mick.

Yoko Ono's technique!

Jac@stafford.net
26-Dec-2015, 14:52
Yoko Ono's technique!

John Cage was first. Google 4′33″.

Tin Can
26-Dec-2015, 15:14
John Cage was first. Google 4′33″.

I refer to 'Cut Piece' by Yoko Ono, 1964.

Cage is different.

Both in their time and now, very radical and original Arts.

As is Greg Hindy's Art. Greg, I believe is influenced by Marina Abramović.

All four are asking a lot of their audience. :)

Jim Graves
20-Apr-2016, 12:57
Greg has an upcoming photo exhibit:

Broad Street Gallery
1289 Broad Street
Hartford, Connecticut

Begins Thursday April 28, 2016 through May 3, 2016

In the "Events" notice it lists the start of the exhibit as "4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m." on April 28 so I assume that is the opening reception with Greg in attendance.

Sponsored by Trinity College ... for further information contact: Tracy.Quigley@trincoll.edu

Corran
20-Apr-2016, 21:20
No way I'm making that show, but, I sure would like to see some of the resultant images.

Tin Can
20-Apr-2016, 21:38
No way I'm making that show, but, I sure would like to see some of the resultant images.

Come on, let's walk there...or in my case crawl...

Corran
20-Apr-2016, 21:53
:)

In my case it's not just distance but contractual obligations for other work. That's a really short show though, just 6 days?!

Jim Graves
25-Apr-2016, 22:18
Some more info from the Facebook page:

"Thursday, April 28th at 6:30 pm: Artist's Talk and Slide Show will take place at Austin Arts Center Auditorium 320, Trinity College, Hartford, CT. This will be followed by an opening reception at the Broad Street Gallery, 1289 Broad Street, Hartford, CT.

Prints will continue to be exhibited on Friday through Monday. Please call or email to arrange a time to visit. Greg will open the Gallery and quite probably meet with you. Greg can be emailed directly at hindy.greg@gmail.com"