PDA

View Full Version : Used Sinar F-1 advise

Ben Calwell
17-Jun-2004, 11:12
For those of you who have experience with the Sinar F-1, what are some of the things I should be concerned with in purchasing a used one? Does this camera age well, or are there weaknesses I should be aware of when shopping for one? Thanks in advance for your help.

Juergen Sattler
17-Jun-2004, 11:18
I bought a used Sinar F1 two years ago and am very happy with it - it is a great camera for a reasonable price. I believe that it is the best "beginners" LF camera because it has all those movements aids (depth of field, tilt and swing scales). It is a very sturdy camera and does take a lot of beating (I backpacked with it a couple of times - not the lightest camera!). The only thing that ever broke on mine was one of those rail end caps which I never use anyway. The only other thing I can think of is the ground glass - make sure it is not too scratched and the fresnel lens - if it comes with one.

Enjoy your new Sinar!

Juergen

Ted Harris
17-Jun-2004, 11:26
I hate to disagree with Jurgen but I find the F series sinars rather flimsey for the price. IMHO there are much solider, sturdier options out there, a number at prices in the same range that you will pay for the F1. I would particularly recommend the Horsema L series cameras. They are all built like tanks which is a plus and a minus as there is no way you would want to backpack with these which you can do (sort of ) with the sinar F series). The Horsemen, even the entry level models have more geared movements than the F1 and operate very smoothly. Take a look, you will find them priced in the same range as the Sinars (~500 used). the range of accessories and options is as vast as that for Sinar but not quite so readily available. For awhile I had an F+ as a backup camera and finally sold it. when I had the Horseman and F+ side by side there was just no comparison; the Horseman won hands down.

Now if I were starting from scratch in setead of dealing with a lifetime's accumulation of stuff I might look real real hard at Arca.

Ron Bose
17-Jun-2004, 11:34
Ben,

A Sinar F2 was my very first and least used camera. It was great for indoors stuff, but a pain to take into the field. As soon as I got my hands on a (flat-bed) field camera, a Wisner 4x5, the F2's days were numbered.

I subsequently got a Linhof TK45S which is the best comprimise between field camera compactness and monorail design.

I took the expensive route to find my favorite camera, so it always pays to look ahead, as it'll save you money. If you're gonna shoot 90% in the field and only 10% in the studio, IMHO I'd look at a flat-bed field camera.

When you check out the Sinar, make sure that all the movements are smooth and the locks are tight. You might find the spirit-levels have dried. Usually the cameras themselves are fairly cheap, but the accessories are really expensive !!

Good luck !!

Jerry Flynn
17-Jun-2004, 14:38
I will take exception with the earlier exception taken to the Sinar f1. I have used versions of Sinar f's for almost thirty years and have never found them to be "flimsey". I do not have problems with vibrations, slippage, breakage, etc. that others describe. I use mine almost exclusively in the field although, I hasten to admit, not on long backcountry treks.

People seem to praise the Sinar Norma at the expense of the f. f1 and f2. To me, the difference is that the posts on the Norma point up, and the posts on the f series point down. Mechanically, not much difference in my opinion. (I've owned both, so I am speaking from experience.)

These days, f1's can be gotten at a reasonable price as many professional studios and others are divesting themselves of view cameras in favor of digital. You should be able to get a decent used f1 for about the same price as one of the lower-priced field cameras.

Since many studios standardized on Sinar, the availability of accessories is affected as well. I have been able to buy several accessories at a fraction of the current list price and most Sinar accessories work with all Sinar cameras made since 1948.

Keep in mind that people have strong brand loyalty (myself included) that comes into play when they make recommendations. The perfect match for me may not be for you. I agree that if your goal is long hikes with a view camera in your backpack along with all your other camping gear, most monorails would be too heavy.

Janko Belaj
17-Jun-2004, 15:17
Ben, I have bought Sinar f1 about two years ago, in that time I have traveled a lot with him. Backpacking in Lowepro (not recommended, not because of rucksack, but because of Sinar's weight), caring in some shoulder suitcase (cheap aluminium suitcase for some tools with custom shoulder bag), transporting in car just on tripod laying on back seats, and mostly transporting him in old Norma's suitcase. Except some scratches on plastic fresnel lens, it is "as new"... and I can't imagine what can be broken with some normal use plus such transport "abuse"...

R Miller
17-Jun-2004, 15:46
If you are looking for a camera to be backpacked frequently, or as someone above put it, 90% of the time, you are probably better off with other than a monorail camera. Otherwise, the f series is tough to beat. The expandability of the system cannot be beat. It is somewhat like Nikon and Hasselblad in the sense of having many options in the system (some of which may seem esoteric to one person but which may be invaluable to another), in having been well thought out in the beginning and in staunchly avoiding what seems like planned obsolescence by others. If you later decide to shoot 5x7 and/or 8x10, no need to buy a complete new camera. If you decide to later go to a p or p2, all of the parts of your f will work with the p/p2. Whether you need an extra wide angle bellows or 50 inches of bellows, its readily available both new and used. The price and availability of used equipment, in good to great condition is pretty surprising. The build quality, ease of setting tilt, swing, quick determination of aperture for dof and especially the expandability of the system at reasonable prices if you are willing to shop/buy used makes it difficult or impossible to beat - unless you want to cart it deep into the field on a regular basis.

With respect to what to look for, general tightness and wear and tear, broken or missing parts. Another good thing is that parts are readily available and basically very reasonably priced. Although I have only needed it a few times, even the service from SinarBron is pretty reasonable. Regards

Dave Schneider
17-Jun-2004, 17:40
The Sinar F-1 and earlier F uses a rail calmp that is easily broken of it is overtightened or if there is significant impact in the standards. Look closely at those clamps. They can be replaced if broken but it's not cheap. The F-2 uses a much better rail clamp that is not easily broken. I have an F-2 and enough parts from an F to build a another camera, they are usually used as intermediate standards for long extensions. The F-2 has separate locks for the shift and swing, combines locks on the F and F-1.