PDA

View Full Version : "Remembering Brett Weston"

Shawn Dougherty
20-May-2013, 09:01
A new video with Kim Weston, John Sexton and Randy Efros reminiscing about their experiences with Brett Weston. This is a much watch for any fan of Brett. Apparently there will be two more installments! Enjoy. =)

http://www.kimweston.com/remembering...on-and-weston/

or

http://www.johnsexton.com/remembering_brett_weston.html

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9gxD...b5gQQgpEHZdjOb

Shawn Dougherty
22-Aug-2013, 10:20
Part 2 is up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54z_NX2Ir0&feature=youtu.be

Ken Lee
22-Aug-2013, 10:51
Here's a link to part 1 on Youtube. Perhaps they moved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9gxDGWebdc

Ken Lee
22-Aug-2013, 11:32
Thanks for sharing this. It's really great.

Shawn Dougherty
22-Aug-2013, 11:42
I hadn't noticed the first one had been moved, Ken. Thanks for fixing that.

And you're welcome. =)

Merg Ross
2-Sep-2013, 20:58
As an addition to those remembering Brett in his later years, his good friend Richard Miller wrote of earlier times, and of their friendship over fifty years. It is revealing of the subject, and a shared affection. A very honest appraisal of Brett, in my opinion.

This piece was included in the "Brett Weston at One Hundred" book published by PWG in 2011.

http://www.richardcmiller.com/portfolios/the-westons/portrait-of-a-friendship/

Michael Kadillak
3-Sep-2013, 06:44
As an addition to those remembering Brett in his later years, his good friend Richard Miller wrote of earlier times, and of their friendship over fifty years. It is revealing of the subject, and a shared affection. A very honest appraisal of Brett, in my opinion.

This piece was included in the "Brett Weston at One Hundred" book published by PWG in 2011.

http://www.richardcmiller.com/portfolios/the-westons/portrait-of-a-friendship/

What a great article. How marvelous it was that two completely divergent lifestyles could form a lifetime bond around photography. I need to read more about Richard Miller as he was quite an accomplished photographer. Puts things into perspective.

Robert Langham
3-Sep-2013, 07:38
That's a great piece to read. Just met Brett briefly in the 70s out in Carmel.

Ken Lee
3-Sep-2013, 07:47
Thanks for that article.

One of my favorites is Brett's characterization of Ansel's near-far compositions as "gee-whiz".

Michael Kadillak
4-Sep-2013, 07:30
The other comment in the discussion that got a unified belly laugh was Brett's comment to Kim - "I was never very good at math, but I was pretty good with figures".

Flauvius
5-Sep-2013, 07:21
What is "gee-whiz" supposed to mean?

Ken Lee
5-Sep-2013, 08:57
What is "gee-whiz" supposed to mean?

Unless I'm mistaken, it suggests that to Brett, "near-far" compositions can appear contrived... even Ansel's. As the author points out: "Brett almost never used a wide angle."

Whatever else it may mean, it's a clever play on words.

Shawn Dougherty
6-Sep-2013, 13:10
The other comment in the discussion that got a unified belly laugh was Brett's comment to Kim - "I was never very good at math, but I was pretty good with figures".

That was my favorite as well! =P

Duane Polcou
10-Sep-2013, 02:46
Thanks for posting that link. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Merg Ross
16-Dec-2013, 08:55
Remembering Brett on his birthday. Born on December 16, 1911.

Michael Kadillak
16-Dec-2013, 09:30
Hoisting a glass of my best "snake medicine" in his honor this evening. Long live his memory.

Merg Ross
16-Dec-2013, 09:40
Hoisting a glass of my best "snake medicine" in his honor this evening. Long live his memory.

I'll be joining you.

As Merle said, "it gotta be in you when you're bit"! Jim Beam was Brett's favorite when he could afford it.

csxcnj
16-Dec-2013, 11:55
Over at The Online Photographer Mike Johnston has another one of his great deals running. Lodima Press is offering the 10 ( out of 19 to be published) currently printed Brett Weston portfolios for half off when used with a TOP coupon code. Good until 12/21.

That guy has an eye for worthwhile books on photography and is friends with a number of great photographers who he regularly gets to offers special sales on their work. He's cost me quite bit of $$ since I discovered TOP. None of which I've regretted parting with. :D

Merg Ross
16-Dec-2016, 16:35

Born 105 years ago today.

Cheers,

Merg

Eric Woodbury
16-Dec-2016, 16:58
Merg, you post that as if you were there. I didn't think you were that old.

I haven't watched the videos, but I hope someone in there does a Brett voice impression.

Happy Birthday BW

EW

Steve Sherman
16-Dec-2016, 19:10

Ah...PappyVanWinkle !

Bill_1856
17-Dec-2016, 11:05
I have a dichotomy about Brett's work: I've never really liked his images, but can spot a Brett Weston print from 30 feet amongst a whole wall of fine photography.
Wonder he he did it?

Michael Kadillak
17-Dec-2016, 11:26
I have a dichotomy about Brett's work: I've never really liked his images, but can spot a Brett Weston print from 30 feet amongst a whole wall of fine photography.
Wonder he he did it?

He blazed his own trail visually and in the process manifested an identifiable style. To your point, I felt that I had attempted to see a fairly good spectrum of Brett's work as best I could. It was not until I attended a few showings of his work and purchased the Lodima Press portfolio series did I truly come to appreciate the depth and dimension of what the man accomplished. The more I saw that I had not seen before the more I was drawn to his style. I agree that you can tell his work from across the room. Started with Edward and migrated toward Brett.

John Kasaian
17-Dec-2016, 12:13
Terrific!

Mark Sampson
17-Dec-2016, 20:51
I admire and respect Brett Weston's many accomplishments. I don't necessarily *like* some of his photographs, but that's only me, not the work. He was a great master, and I raise a glass (of Jameson's on this damp foggy night) to his memory.

Ironage
18-Dec-2016, 19:34
This will be on my schedule since it is so close to me. I actually met him once, and he showed me a couple platinum prints at Maine Workshops.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Arne
22-Dec-2016, 10:36
Thank you for sharing.

I met Brett Weston back in the '70's, while I was studying art photography at the University of Oregon. He was a friend of the professor. He used to give us darkrooms tips, and showed his prints in our crit sessions. We all wanted to have Amidol darkened fingernails like Brett. We actually had Edward Weston's old tripod in our equipment closet for those using 8x10. Seems like ages ago, a different time all together.

Merg Ross
22-Dec-2016, 12:41
Thank you for sharing.

I met Brett Weston back in the '70's, while I was studying art photography at the University of Oregon. He was a friend of the professor. He used to give us darkrooms tips, and showed his prints in our crit sessions. We all wanted to have Amidol darkened fingernails like Brett. We actually had Edward Weston's old tripod in our equipment closet for those using 8x10. Seems like ages ago, a different time all together.
A different time indeed. However, I note that the university still offers classes in Large Format & Creative Black and White Photography. I assume that your professor was Bernie Freemesser; he and Brett became very good friends (after Brett convinced Bernie to give up 35mm).

faberryman
22-Dec-2016, 12:53
I first saw his work in Paris in the mid-'70s. The prints were absolutely exquisite.

Merg Ross
15-Dec-2021, 22:38
Time to raise a glass again to my good friend.

On this date, 110 years ago, Brett was born.

Merg

Tin Can
16-Dec-2021, 05:25
A good day!

Time to raise a glass again to my good friend.

On this date, 110 years ago, Brett was born.

Merg

rdenney
16-Dec-2021, 06:37
I’ve been reading about him in Mary Alinder’s book on Group f.64. Definitely an interesting character, and fit right into the bohemian lifestyle of the group. I’ll finish the book this weekend.

Rick “glass raised” Denney

Michael R
16-Dec-2021, 06:48
Time to watch the movie again. My old DVD copy.

neil poulsen
16-Dec-2021, 09:44
One of finest classes I ever took in any college was on "Photograph Styles" from Gerry Robinson taught at Mt. Hood Community College in Portland, Oregon. He was a lawyer who graduated from Columbia Law School, and his Photographic Styles class was taught in the best tradition of a class taught maybe at Harvard as depicted by John Houseman (as Professor Charles W. Kingsfield Jr.) in the movie Paper Chase.

This class was amazing. Gerry had written the text himself, which was filled with biographical sketches of photographers, how photography progressed from early to modern times, he included some example photographs, and his book was replete with bibliographic references of included content. The research he had done was comprehensive, the book was a tour de force, and Gerry updated it every time that he taught the course. And that was just the text. I always enjoyed listening to stories that he would tell about many photographers that he had known, seeing many 35mm slides that he had collected of photographs, and even seeing actual photographs by some of these photographers. I don't remember them all of course, but they included Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, Ruth Bernhard, Wynn Bulluck, and of course Brett Weston.

Gerry was best friends with Brett Weston, and had all his portfolios, one of which was dedicated to him. These were among the photos to which we were treated in his class, and on occasion, in his home. Gerry reserved Friday afternoons at 2pm for students to visit him in his home, where we would share stories and images. In particular, I really enjoyed seeing images by Brett Weston in his class and at these home events.

Merg Ross
16-Dec-2021, 11:03
One of finest classes I ever took in any college was on "Photograph Styles" from Gerry Robinson taught at Mt. Hood Community College in Portland, Oregon. He was a lawyer who graduated from Columbia Law School, and his Photographic Styles class was taught in the best tradition of a class taught maybe at Harvard as depicted by John Houseman (as Professor Charles W. Kingsfield Jr.) in the movie Paper Chase.

This class was amazing. Gerry had written the text himself, which was filled with biographical sketches of photographers, how photography progressed from early to modern times, he included some example photographs, and his book was replete with bibliographic references of included content. The research he had done was comprehensive, the book was a tour de force, and Gerry updated it every time that he taught the course. And that was just the text. I always enjoyed listening to stories that he would tell about many photographers that he had known, seeing many 35mm slides that he had collected of photographs, and even seeing actual photographs by some of these photographers. I don't remember them all of course, but they included Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, Ruth Bernhard, Wynn Bulluck, and of course Brett Weston.

Gerry was best friends with Brett Weston, and had all his portfolios, one of which was dedicated to him. These were among the photos to which we were treated in his class, and on occasion, in his home. Gerry reserved Friday afternoons at 2pm for students to visit him in his home, where we would share stories and images. In particular, I really enjoyed seeing images by Brett Weston in his class and at these home events.

Neil, you were indeed fortunate to have had Gerry as a teacher. You are no doubt familiar with the book he published in2006, "Photography, History & Science". Within it is an insightful chapter on Brett and his father. The last time I saw Gerry was at Brett's 80th birthday party in 1991.

The home visits sound like fun, what a great idea. Gerry really knew the history of photography, and was also a good friend of Art Wright who made the film (DVD) of Brett.

Thanks for your story.

Merg

Merg Ross
16-Dec-2021, 16:40
I’ve been reading about him in Mary Alinder’s book on Group f.64. Definitely an interesting character, and fit right into the bohemian lifestyle of the group. I’ll finish the book this weekend.

Rick “glass raised” Denney

An interesting character, for sure. You picked a good book to read about Group f.64; an accurate and well-researched account.

Rick, on the subject of Brett, one of my favorite writings is by his friend Richard Miller.

https://www.richardcmiller.com/portfolios/the-westons/portrait-of-a-friendship/

John Kasaian
16-Dec-2021, 18:57
An interesting character, for sure. You picked a good book to read about Group f.64; an accurate and well-researched account.

Rick, on the subject of Brett, one of my favorite writings is by his friend Richard Miller.

https://www.richardcmiller.com/portfolios/the-westons/portrait-of-a-friendship/

Thanks Merg. That's a very touching essay!

Doug Howk
16-Dec-2021, 19:12
Time to dust off a couple of good books on Brett:
"My Time with Brett" by Randy Efros
"A Restless Eye" by John Charles Woods
Also need to leaf thru his portfolios [Lodima Press version]
Happy Birthday, Brett

Willie
16-Dec-2021, 20:10
Might be a good time to check out the opportunity to get one or more of the portfolio books.
I have no business relation with Lodima Press, just a customer with the portfolios.
Worth every penny.

https://www.lodima.org/brett-weston

THE PORTFOLIOS OF BRETT WESTON
A NINETEEN-VOLUME SERIES

Today, Weston’s original portfolios are rare, expensive, and relatively inaccessible in museums, archives, libraries, or private collections.

Printing technology now makes it possible, however, to bring the Brett Weston portfolios to a larger audience in reproductions that, in their rich detail, tonal scale and color, surface quality, and aesthetic appeal, are almost indistinguishable from the original prints. Printed in Belgium by Salto in unprecedented 600-line screen quadtone, and later by Dual Graphics in 400-line screen quadtone (after Salto ceased printing books). Printed on heavy coated stock, the photographs have been reproduced actual size whenever possible.

Drew Wiley
17-Dec-2021, 13:10
The first actual EW (not Brett) print I ever saw was "Willie" - the tombstone shot contact print. Saw lots of Brett's prints later. Unforgettable.

Mark J
5-Feb-2022, 11:42
Definitely he is my favourite B&W photographer of all time. Some of his compositions have been literally breathtaking to me.
I think he excels in treatment of dark shadows and pure black in a photograph.
I have an original copy of the 'Banana Leaf' shot from Hawaii upstairs.

Drew Wiley
5-Feb-2022, 15:05
Ah, that banana leaf. I will always remember seeing that for real. It was a bit unusual for him, because it was an original framed 16X20 print instead of smaller 11x14, barely propped up way over in a far corner of a floor of some gallery - can't remember exactly which - not even hung on a wall - but I homed in on it like lightning. Unforgettable. But I personally have only a nice book page version.

JuneAmara
7-Feb-2022, 13:39
Great piece to read