PDA

View Full Version : E6 or C41? Choices? Choices? Choices?...

Regular Rod
20-May-2013, 07:34
Please could some kind soul with experience in these matters come to my aid?

There is some beautiful and inspiring colour work from photographers using large format.

Up to now, in large format, I have only worked with monochrome films.

It would be great to make some colour photographs, but the cost of film AND processing makes it a very expensive option. The costs might come down enough to put colour within reach if the sheets are processed at home like my monochrome sheets.

What process is likely to be the most successful and hopefully cost-effective?

Would you choose E6 or C41?

Which films and which chemistry would be the best way forward please?

Thank you.

Regular Rod

vinny
20-May-2013, 07:51
There aren't very many choices left: Provia, portra 160 and 400, velvia series.
There's nothing cheap about shooting color film in 2013.
Do you already own a high quality scanner? If not, c41 is your only option if you want to make the prints yourself via darkroom.
Do you already have a color enlarger?

I use transparency film for 95% of my color work because I prefer what the results look like, and have a hard time scanning most color negs.
Unless you're going to shoot lots of film, processing it yourself may not (won't) be cost effective.

Corran
20-May-2013, 08:07
At least in my case:

Calumet heater pump and 3 metal tanks - $150, used
CombiPlan tank and holder for additional water bath and to hold the film - $100, used
5L C-41 and E6 chemicals from Freestyle - $200

That's all I needed.

Cost to develop per sheet I think is less than a dollar. Calculating in also that I shoot 135/120 too. I just mixed fresh E-6 - I use 2L at a time - and my first batch lasted 4 months, about 40 sheets and 20 rolls or so. That would've been approx. $500 in developing costs so my materials and upstart cost is already covered, not even counting my second batch of 2L OR the C-41 negatives.

I shoot both C-41 and E-6 depending on the situation. I like the bold colors and contrast of E-6 but sometimes the pastel and soft look of C-41 Portra and similar is just awesome.

Drew Wiley
20-May-2013, 08:30
Let me bust a myth. Yes, large format color film is expensive, but only if you waste a lot of shots. And if you shoot color neg film and print it yourself (RA4) it is
quite affordable. You pay out more on the film side, but can save significantly printing it yourself. It is a lot more economical than inkjet, and you don't need to worry about scanning. The quality of color neg films and papers at the moment is superb. If you have a colorhead on your enlarger and a basic processing drum and good ventilation, you should be able to learn it. Color transparency films are easier to read on a lightbox, obviously, but there is no direct way to print them anymore - you have to scan and digitally output them. Like anything else, the learning curve takes an investment in time and materials, but once you learn the basics, there's nothing like a large format color print. The savings from actually developing the film yourself is minor, the savings from printing it yourself can be
substantial.

Ben Syverson
20-May-2013, 08:41
In 2013, C41 is probably a safer choice. Only Fuji is still making E6 sheet film, and they're very unpredictable. Also, large format transparencies are unbelievably beautiful in person, but they challenge even the best scanners (huge density range, very dark Dmax).

Scanning C41 is much easier, but you have to color correct the scan. Essentially C41 gives you a more flexible tonal range, and it's up to you to create the contrast and saturation that you want.

Regular Rod
20-May-2013, 13:55
Thank you everyone for your prompt and insightful answers. Please forgive me. I should have said from the start that I no longer have a true darkroom. I use a Harrison tent for loading and unloading, develop sheets in a modified Paterson Orbital Tank and then scan them with an Epson V700.

So based on this update should I conclude that C41 is the better way for me to go?

I live in England so bargains in the USA are not really available to me, shipping and taxes are so very high.

RR

Regular Rod
20-May-2013, 13:59
In 2013, C41 is probably a safer choice. Only Fuji is still making E6 sheet film, and they're very unpredictable. Also, large format transparencies are unbelievably beautiful in person, but they challenge even the best scanners (huge density range, very dark Dmax).

Scanning C41 is much easier, but you have to color correct the scan. Essentially C41 gives you a more flexible tonal range, and it's up to you to create the contrast and saturation that you want.

Thank you Ben, I will certainly be trying C41 in my Travelwide when it arrives... :)

Regular Rod