PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Large format Camera Tripods on a student budget?

doogie
19-May-2013, 19:10
Hello all!

Student here. I'm making the move into Large Format Photography (In stark contrast to this digital age) and I was wondering if anyone knows of a reliable source for buying Tripods that are not super cumbersome on a student budget and will support a 4x5 as well as the other formats like 8x10 as well. Key word student budget. I am looking at definately working with a Toyo 45cx and others as well. At this point in the game I only have limited funds and am doing my best to get all of the equipment together that I am going to need after Summer semester is over. We start Landscape Photography in Fall Semester. The objective is to aquire the equipment and not be stuck on a diet of Top Ramen or Mac and Cheese for the next year of college. Although I wouldn't object to MRE's if I absolutely had no other choice. LOL.

Thank you for your input in advance.

V/r,
Doogie

C_Remington
19-May-2013, 19:19
eBay and craigslist.

Zaitz
19-May-2013, 19:32
I use a Gitzo 320 studex that I got for $129 on Ebay. It is aluminum and very sturdy. I've used a Calumet C1 extended way out with a heavy lens on it and it performed great. 4x5 is a piece of cake.

Leigh
19-May-2013, 21:00
Jon Shiu currently has a Majestic tripod and head for sale in that section.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?102231-fs-Majestic-Chicago-Tripod-good-for-8x10-etc-cameras

You would need an adapter to mount that head on that tripod, due to a difference in vintage.
However, that adapter is quite easy to make. The head is correct for the tripod, just different versions.

I think his total price for the head and tripod is $65 (not my sale, so don't quote me).

This is an outstanding tripod that will handle any LF camera you might own.
I have two of the Majestics.

- Leigh

Otto Seaman
19-May-2013, 21:38
If you can't afford a tripod then you can't afford 8x10, so take that burden off your list and put the resources into making pictures instead.

A good used US-made Leitz or Marchioni Tiltall - not the current new ones made offshore - can be found for under $100. Parts are here: http://tiltallsupport.blogspot.com.

The Tiltall is as good as it gets until you drop serious money on a Gitzo or better.

Leigh
19-May-2013, 21:43
The Tiltall is as good as it gets until you drop serious money on a Gitzo or better.
Not even close to a Majestic. I own both.

The Tiltall is fine for 35mm, and perhaps for MF as long as it's not windy.

Its tilt mechanism is nowhere near strong enough to support LF.

- Leigh

Daniel Stone
19-May-2013, 23:24
If you can't afford a tripod then you can't afford 8x10, so take that burden off your list and put the resources into making pictures instead.

+1

8x10 is great, but it DOES cost $$$ to run that machine.
I picked up a 2nd job a few years ago, just so I could afford to shoot 8x10. It worked well :). I saved the money, bought a lot of film, and am now able to reap the rewards. I'm 25, so around your age I'm guessing +/- a few years...
Shoot 4x5, learn and make mistakes. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, that's HOW YOU LEARN!
And most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!

but if you're looking for a good tripod, I'd save up and get a good one.
If you're in this for the long-haul, buy a good one and eat ramen for a month. You'll thank yourself!

-Dan

Otto Seaman
20-May-2013, 05:21

- Leigh

I agree the Majestic is much stronger and capable but weigh them. And realize that the youngsters are nowheres near as strong as you and I are... and nearly every "what tripod?" post I've ever seen has been to go lighter... the Tiltall is the best inexpensive, fairly light tripod that will hold a moderate field camera ;-p

Seriously show a kid a Majestic and they may quit right there!

Leigh
20-May-2013, 05:39
the Tiltall is the best inexpensive, fairly light tripod that will hold a moderate field camera ;-p
Seriously show a kid a Majestic and they may quit right there!
The Tiltall won't even hold a small field camera. It's simply not strong enough.

Everybody wants a four-ounce tripod that will support a 16x20 view camera. Ain't happenin'.

The laws of physics and principles of engineering are not opinions, they're facts.

Anybody who doesn't understand that LF requires effort would probably be happier with a cell phone camera.

- Leigh

Jim Jones
20-May-2013, 06:26
I've used Tiltall for up to a 450mm lens on a5x7 with no problem. It might not work if the Tiltall head has been doused with WD-40, but mine haven't been so abused. My Davis and Sanford with half the engineering and twice the weight is little sturdier. Perhaps Ansel Adams rarely used his Tiltall for anything bigger than a Hasselblad, but he had heavier duty tripods. He said the Tiltall sufficed for 4x5 if there was no wind.

John Kasaian
20-May-2013, 06:26
FWIW, my old Tiltall works just fine with my Speed Graphic and Graphic View, but they aren't the stuff for 8x10s (it will handle a Gowland Aerial but definitely not a 'dorff!)
I, for one, won't discourage you from shooting LF on a student budget. It can be done. You can find used, affordable tripods that will support your LF camera but it will take time---the thrill of the hunt is part of the fun. Don't disregard modifying a surveyor's tripod to 1/4-20. In the mean time, see about borrowing or even renting and make some photographs.

Brian Ellis
20-May-2013, 06:33
Paradox - student on a budget using 8x10 film.

More seriously, just look around all the different places that sell used photography equipment - craigslist, dealers like B&H or Adorama, photo.net, etc. Don't get too hung up on the manufacturer's ratings. I have an old Gitzo aluminum tripod that was supposedly for medium format but worked fine for 8x10. Since carbon fiber is the popular (and expensive) material these days you probably should concentrate on an older aluminum or wood tripod. I would think you could pretty easily find a tripod and head that would suit your purposes for $100 or so.

Otto Seaman
20-May-2013, 07:34
The Tiltall won't even hold a small field camera. It's simply not strong enough.

Everybody wants a four-ounce tripod that will support a 16x20 view camera. Ain't happenin'.

The laws of physics and principles of engineering are not opinions, they're facts.

Anybody who doesn't understand that LF requires effort would probably be happier with a cell phone camera.

- Leigh

My eyes must be deceiving me because I've been using a Tiltall to hold my 4x5 and 5x7 cameras just fine, for many years. Perhaps the most "Majestic" thing is your insistence that you are absolutely right and that the experience of thousands of photographers using Tiltalls with view cameras never actually happened.

jp
20-May-2013, 07:49
I've used a tiltall to hold my B&J 8x10 a bunch of times, but it's not ideal enough to recommend. I generally do not extend the legs when I do this. Do as I say not as I do sort of thing. It's my ideal everyday tripod for 4x5 speed graphics. I usually use a cheap surveying tripod for my 8x10.

Drew Bedo
20-May-2013, 08:56
Buy the best Pan-head/Ball-head that you can afford: That is, spend all of your tripod money on the tripod head.

THEN go to a hardware store and buy a short step ladder. N ow mount the tripod head to the top of the step ladder and start shooting.

This will get you out and shooting . . .its not ideal (there is no such thing as real-world ideal), and it won't be as solid as you want, but hey . . .you are just starting out.

Jac@stafford.net
20-May-2013, 10:15
There is a good article by Bill Kumpf here on this site (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/surveyor-tripod-conversion/) about converting a surveyors tripod to accommodate a camera.

doogie
20-May-2013, 15:59
Hmm. After a conversation with one of the instructors at the college today I seem to recall that he too voiced the idea of a surveyor's tripod. If it has to be done, well then it has to be done. I don't mind carrying extra weight if I have to in order to complete the job. Used to carry 90-135lbs between my medical supplies and my gear on a daily basis back in the service. So if it is a sturdy rugged tripod that is needed; then by all means I won't discount it. If it comes down to having to save for a few months to get what I need then by all means I have no problems with that.

I've never been one to need the newest shiney high speed low drag gear that seems to be the mind set of the commercial store front these days. Love the ladder idea. Might just try that. lol

V/r,
Doogie

Drew Wiley
20-May-2013, 16:21
Surveyor tripods.

SpeedGraphicMan
20-May-2013, 16:21
Check out Shopgoodwill.com

Some very good deals come up quite often.

Steve Barber
20-May-2013, 22:48
It is not entirely clear from your post whether you are starting with 4x5 and want to buy a tripod and head that will allow you to use an 8x10, later, or if you are trying to start out with both a 4x5 and an 8x10 with a tripod and head combination that will work with either.

I would not recommend trying to start out with an 8x10, either by itself or in combination with a 4x5 and neither would I recommend trying to find a tripod and head that would be adequate for an 8x10, but to be used with a 4x5. I think you will get much further, quicker, down the LF road starting out with a 4x5 and an adequate tripod-head combination for it while leaving the question of an 8x10 for later, if ever.

One other thing would be not to waste the money you would have to spend to get an adequate ball head for a 4x5, never mind an 8x10. Setting up a view camera and getting it properly leveled is a lot simpler with a head that allows adjusting one axis at a time and nothing is more irritating than going through the process and losing it all when you have to loosen the ball head to make a slight adjustment.

Kirk Fry
20-May-2013, 23:09
I have used an original Tiltall for over 40 years for all manner of 4X5 cameras. I use a Majestic for my 8X10. The Majestic with head only weighs 19 lb sans camera. I got it cheap from a fellow who was about to have back surgery. If you don't know exactly why you need an 8X10 negative, stick with 4X5.

sun of sand
21-May-2013, 00:34
i use an amvona dynatran aluminum tripod
chinese, ebay. one of their cheaper ones, too. $50 shipped. 9lbs. All bogen knockoffs.
I used their $30 3030 clone head with my 3lb tachihara and any lens I had including 90 4.5 and wollensak 15in tele
fine
their weight rating for the head was like 5 lbs. very conservative.

I upgraded to a 3047 I bought here but only to replace a Quickset husky head that kept slipping under a Graflex SLR

I've used it for ..8 years.
I have a Ries Jr I now use with the 3030 for digital/35mm but like the amvona for 4x5. what can i say
they don't seem to do ebay anymore, though

sun of sand
21-May-2013, 01:17
knockoff of a bogen 3020
i think it's now called 3021?

mine came with a pistol grip which i threw into the attic

just one more option
old, cheap and sturdy for any 4x5

Zaitz
21-May-2013, 09:30
Gitzo studex:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GITZO-ALUMINUM-STUDEX-PERFORMANCE-GILUX-TRIPOD-W-SHORT-CENTER-COLUMN-GOOD-/230982117606?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item35c79b68e6

Head:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gitzo-Rational-4B-Tripod-Head-3-Way-Pan-Tilt-/140969311058?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d26cfb52

fecaleagle
11-Jun-2013, 08:06
I recently bought a 1940s Reis tripod with a SOLID tilt head on ebay for $250. It required a bit of work: replacing the worn brass tubes that pivot the legs, installing eye screws to use in a spread lock system with the 5x7 Ansco, replacing a broken thumb screw that locks one of the leg extensions. I bought this to replace a Marchioni Tiltall when I switched from the Crown Graphic to the Ansco, and the tripod is not fun to hike with, but I'm confident that it can support anything I can put on top of it. I am on a tight budget, but if you can put aside $200 bucks, don't mind putting in a little bit of work, and have enough patience to hold out for a good price, you can end up with something that will get you much further than a Tiltall. If you're just shooting with a Graphic (something under 5 lbs) for the foreseeable future, a Tiltall will suit you just fine. You're buying it second-hand anyway, so if you need something sturdier in 6 months, you'll be able to pass it along and get your money back.

Bob Salomon
11-Jun-2013, 08:57
We from time to time sell off demo models of some of our products, including Berlebach tripods and Giotto Tripods, on our factory store. These are either tripods that we have displayed at shows like PMA or the Photo Plus show, salesman samples that have been returned or discontinued product. Currently we have Berlebach ash wood Report series tripods on our Factory Store at prices starting just over $100.00! All of the demo products available on that site carry the full new warranty in the USA. But they may have a scratch or scuff mark.

There are also some Report versions in Cameo finish for well under $100.00 and some UNI models also at excellent savings.

Alan Gales
11-Jun-2013, 17:07
I bought a very slightly used Berlebach Report 3042 tripod (rated at 22 lbs) with Berlebach head for about $150.00 off Ebay. The head was missing the camera screw. Berlebach sent me a new one for next to nothing.

I prefer Ries for the leg locks but I sure can't say anything negative about the Berlebach plus their built in leveling balls are real nice! You may find you don't need a tripod head with the Berlebach.

Ian Gordon Bilson
12-Jun-2013, 03:16
Back in the day,shooting 16mm sound on film,we used Miller wood tripods,with a levelling head. Light as a "Fever" (feather for you Yankees).
Ball heads for LF are a certain road to frustration and despair.

Leigh
12-Jun-2013, 11:23
Ain't that the truth. :D

- Leigh

bobwysiwyg
12-Jun-2013, 14:48
Ain't that the truth. :D

- Leigh

Here, here! I know, others swear by them. I just happen to swear AT them. :)

Joseph Dickerson
12-Jun-2013, 15:37
Mamiya America has a student/faculty purchase plan (Mac-On-Campus) that is free to registered students of accredited schools. They heavily discount Induro tripods. Also, Mamiya, Toyo, Pro Foto, and several other brands. Great educational content and webinars etc.

JD

Wayne
12-Jun-2013, 16:21
I'm not sure anymore what model my Berlebach is, but its the slightest one that can support an 8x10. I use it with my Ansco 8x10, and while it is far from optimal, especially in wind, it does work.

Bob Salomon
12-Jun-2013, 17:13
I'm not sure anymore what model my Berlebach is, but its the slightest one that can support an 8x10. I use it with my Ansco 8x10, and while it is far from optimal, especially in wind, it does work.

The model number should be on one of the leg lock clamp metal bands.

ImSoNegative
12-Jun-2013, 21:16
I have a bogen 3021 great tripod and not expensive at all, I purchased a 3047 head for it.

joselsgil
17-Jun-2013, 23:30
Back in the day,shooting 16mm sound on film,we used Miller wood tripods,with a levelling head. Light as a "Fever" (feather for you Yankees).

I purchased a used wood Miller tripod, for $50. These are extremely sturdy and can support a 8x10 Kodak 2D without any problems. The current head on this setup is a Gitzo no.4 that I picked up for less than $50.

It really all depends on how far you plan on carrying your equipment from you base or vehicle. Currently, I get winded just loading up my gear into my truck.

LF_rookie_to_be
18-Jun-2013, 00:52
Recently I found little-used Linhof 003317 (marked "West Germany", thus old) twin shank tripod with the 1/4+3/8 plate for 90 Swiss francs, and a Sinar pan-tilt head (worn-looking, but perfectly functional) for 55 British pounds. Pretty solid combination, at least for a Sinar Norma with a 480mm Apo-Ronar.

Jim Noel
18-Jun-2013, 08:14
Back to Tiltall. I have owned 3 over the years. The old original ones held my 8x10 2d securely, but the new ones wouldn't hold a Hasselblad securely.
Probably the strongest and yet lightest weight is the Davis and Sanford. Three different sizes were made and all will do well with 8x10. However, the smaller ones may be too short for you. I currently use a mid-size one,I don't remember the model number,for my 7x17 and I can turn it vertically which I can not do with any other tripod.

Wayne
18-Jun-2013, 19:37
The model number should be on one of the leg lock clamp metal bands.

By Jove, it's a 4032 alright. I thought it was on there somewhere.

Noah B
18-Jun-2013, 20:31
I have a bogen 3021 great tripod and not expensive at all, I purchased a 3047 head for it.

I'll second that one. Being a broke ass college student myself I managed to use that combo for 4x5 and 8x10 (the 8x10 was a Wista DX, pretty lightweight but that combo is too shaky for a Deardorff).

Depending on where you go to school, they may be able to get discounts from vendors like b&h etc. Also, if you haven't checked this place out, look up mac on campus (http://www.mac-on-campus.com/Shop.aspx). You have to do the rigmarole of scanning your student id and taking a screenshot of your most current completed semester and proof you're still a student, but they give a good discount on induro tripods. I have the AT213 model and it's great for 4x5, maybe even a lightweight 8x10.

Good luck !

Carsten Wolff
16-Jul-2013, 16:44
Bogen 3021/Manfrotto 055 is a great tripod. I recently bought a Gitzo and a Benbo, s/h for $50 each, but sold them again as the Manfrotto was great.

Jac@stafford.net
26-May-2014, 12:28
Student budget and 8x10 photography strikes me as incongruous, but you got good advice.

Even today one sheet of 8x10 BW costs as much as a good old student dinner.

mdarnton
26-May-2014, 13:41
I've bought several nice old Bogens from Ebay. The big old silver Bogens don't get much bidding attention, and usually go cheap, even with nice heads. I bought one just to get the head, which normally sells on Ebay for twice what I paid for the tripod AND head. There's one there right now with a day and 18 hours left that would be perfect, and no one is bidding on it. $87. You just need to familiarize yourself with the old models, and keep watching and bidding, and sooner or later you can get something really nice.

As far as the cost of 8x10: I was thinking about it the other day, and realized that when I shoot 4x5, I limit myself to two shots. For 5x7, one. It's not like shooting whole rolls of 35mm just to get one good shot. . . maybe. When it's so expensive, why push the button when you aren't sure? So now I've got a taste for 8x10 myself, but if I do it, I'm going to do it like a painter. Canvas is expensive, but how many do they use for one painting? If you think of it that way, it's not really too expensive at all.

Bill_1856
26-May-2014, 18:58

Wrong! It's good for everything but NOT INCLUDING 8x10. I use mine for 4x5, 5x7, and whole plate.

- Leigh

John Kasaian
26-May-2014, 19:32
There are different size Tiltalls (this is before they moved to the PRC) My full-sized Tiltall handles 4x5 and an 5x7 Speed Graphic as well a an 8x10 Gowland Aerial (which is extremely light weight) In my estimation it cannot support a 5x7 like an Agfa Ansco and certainly not an 8x10 Deardorff. If you want to support an 8x10 don't get a Tiltall! For the $$ I'd look for a used tripod or put a 1/4-20 on a surveyor's tripod.

Leszek Vogt
26-May-2014, 21:43
I could sell you a cheapo surveyor's tripod, but you'll likely have a heart attack when you see the shipping charges.

Les

NancyP
27-May-2014, 13:34
Here's a DIY from the LFPinfo front page: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/surveyor-tripod-conversion/

Rolfe Tessem
4-Jun-2014, 17:20
Just to keep this thread alive, a Tiltall is just fine for a Speed Graphic or similar 4x5 without extensive bellows extension.

Bill_1856
4-Jun-2014, 17:31

I agree with Otto.
Leigh apparently is pontificating without any foundation. Ignore him.

- Leigh

Jim Jones
4-Jun-2014, 18:52
I've used lenses up to 400mm and cameras from d****** up to 5x7 on Tiltalls. Under some conditions a more rigid tripod might necessary, but for me the Tiltall suffices.

Pamelageewhizz
17-Jul-2015, 05:39
Why not 8x10? I love it. Had a school loaner 4x5 last semester and was quite disappointed with it. What can I say, I love to play with the big boys! And do historical (alt) process's. Contact printing rocks.

I agree with no ball head. Got a new tripod that will be shipping back tomorrow. Has a ball head that they swore would work as the head has a drag function... right. Nearly lost the camera several times while out shooting with it. Plus it had preset legs.

tripspud
19-Jan-2017, 18:10
Hi! I use the Tiltall with an 8x10 Eastman 2-D. It's been modified with BOTH handles
(vertical and horizontal) LONG. This makes it way easier to adjust.

faberryman
19-Jan-2017, 18:23
Get the best tripod you can afford and don't worry about it. You have the rest of your life to acquire the coveted Ries. In the meantime, work on your photographic skills.

BetterSense
19-Jan-2017, 21:11
I did the survey tripod thing, trying to be cheap. It was a waste of money. I ended up having to buy a proper tripod anyway. I got a 3047 head and some matching legs...maybe 055? It is more than sturdy enough for even my heavy long rail Calumet monorail, overkill for my RB67 even, and much more usable than the surveying tripod was. The survey tripod was just rattly and only had one extension section, and spike feet...

LabRat
19-Jan-2017, 23:21
Really look around swap meets, CL, classified ads, camera shows, antique stores/malls, online, etc... There are MANY oversized tripods out there, and probably where you live... Sooner or later one will come your way (even locally without shipping charges), but for the time being a survey tripod (if you insist on an 8X10) can work...

Nobody wants/needs large tripods (except the nuts that do LF), so hem & haw if you find one, and say it's too big for you, and see what kind of deal they offer you so they can unload it on you... Say you are a student, you need a tripod, this is a little overkill for you, and you don't have much money, and see what they say... (Be nice AND confused...)

Good Luck!!!

Steve K

Willie
20-Jan-2017, 13:10
"Key word student budget."

Takes in a lot of territory.
Harvard?
Stanford?
Crabtree Corners Teachers College?
Bo Diddly Tech?

A dollar amount makes sense here.

Eric Woodbury
20-Jan-2017, 14:27
I use a Bolex Paillard tripod for my 8x10. Ditch the head and put on something you like. Not too heavy. Solid. Sometimes you'll find them for $75 at garage sale, but I haven't bought one in years. The head will cost more than the legs.

chassis
21-Jan-2017, 20:17
Years ago I made my own Ries-inspired tripod and head. Still have it. It works and probably cost less than $50 in materials.

joselsgil
21-Jan-2017, 20:22
Considering that this is a 4 year old post. I hope that the OP has a moved on from his "student budget", to something better :)