PDA

View Full Version : DIY homemade 5x7 enlarger

Tim Meisburger
18-May-2013, 22:08
I have a Graflarger, and when I burned up the power supply for the coldlight I replaced it with a CFL in a box, reusing the base of the Graflarger that attaches to the camera and holds the diffusion glass and negative holder. The CFL gave such a contrasty image I had to use a "0" filter for a normal print, so I switched it out for a 60w soft white bulb. I worried about heat, but so far no problem (I don't leave it on long). To me, the incandescent lacks contrast, but perhaps I just need to get used to it. Anyway, its better than the CFL. The Graflarger looks like this now:

Tim Meisburger
18-May-2013, 22:15
Since this worked so well, and since I don't have an enlarger for my 5x7, I decided to make one. Here is the enlarger completed. The camera is mounted on a board, which has shelf supports attached to the sides. Since the original was set up for 4x5, the standards are not long enough to carry my table, so I will have to extend them at some point. But for testing I have been laying my easel on the bench.

Tim Meisburger
18-May-2013, 22:23
Here are a few more views. I didn't have any diffusion glass, and have not found any locally yet, so I used a piece of white acrylic. If I find some glass I can replace the acrylic.

There is a small lip (rebate) around the bottom that fits in the rebate for the camera back, which, with gravity, is all that holds it in place. If you were making one for an 8x10, or even 5x7, and have the space, it would be even easier to use this horizontally. Just mount the easel on the wall and the camera on a tripod. But in that case you would have to put latches on the unit to hold it on the camera.

Tim Meisburger
18-May-2013, 22:37
While this may not be the ideal solution, it is a solution within the reach of anyone with a camera and basic woodworking skills. Here is one more image:

David Karp
19-May-2013, 00:11
That is really neat.

Jimi
19-May-2013, 04:29
If I remember his name correctly, someone named Rafael Garçia on this forum made a similar enlarger out of the same sort of shelving consoles. Looks really good! I wish I could do something like this too, but rented apartments aren't the best for such things...

Tim Meisburger
19-May-2013, 04:32
Sure they are! All you need is a closet...

Jimi
19-May-2013, 04:38
:D Yeah maybe...

However I found the original thread I was thinking of: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?19820-Fired-up-my-homebuilt-enlarger!

Memory ain't so bad as one thinks it might be, sometimes.

Tim Meisburger
19-May-2013, 05:31
Yes, that's probably where I got the original idea. It works fine for the 4x5.

Douglas
19-May-2013, 07:13
You have inspired me to build an enlarger , Thank You.

MIke Sherck
19-May-2013, 16:33
What are you using for an enlarging lens, and what are your typical enlargement sizes and exposure times?

Mike

Tim Meisburger
19-May-2013, 16:41
Right now I am using taking lenses on both the 4x5 and 5x7. On the 5x7 I use a Fujinon 250mm, as I have one mounted on the correct board. I have not done anything larger than 8x10 using the incandescent bulb, but if anything it is too bright, as I was getting times of about 6 seconds at f11 for a normal print without filters on the 4x5. On the 5x7 60w may be more reasonable. I have not printed anything yet, but on the easel the image looks pretty bright.

MIke Sherck
20-May-2013, 06:14
Very interesting! Thanks for the information. I would be interested in your results from making a print, particularly in how even the light is.

Mike

Tim Meisburger
6-Jan-2015, 21:39
Rick changed the name of this thread for me today. People had been asking me about it, as it was hard to find in searches with the title "5x7 enlarger", so I asked him to add "DIY" and "homemade" to the title. Hopefully it will be easier to find now.

Thanks Rick!

Ironage
7-Jan-2015, 07:06
I found it!

This is an interesting project. Do you have any prints you can show us?

Fr. Mark
1-Feb-2015, 13:12
I intend to do something similar for an 8x10 camera I'm building, but I was thinking horizontal as I don't have the right situation to mount the result to the wall. I've been thinking of repurposing an LED array kitchen/hall light I saw at a hardware store, thus getting around heat issues. I've been thinking masonite for holding negatives and using taking lenses for enlarging and/or projector lenses (one of which I've taken pictures with on Xray and expired 8x10 film).

Tim Meisburger
1-Feb-2015, 17:07
Sounds like that should work. I also used masonite for negative holders. Good luck!