PDA

View Full Version : Preview mode of Crown Graphic

Mehboob
16-Jun-2004, 16:01
I got a Crown Graphic (special) 5x4 camera. Does someone know how to use the "pre-view" mode? I would like to see the image on the screen, focus and compose properly before inserting the negative holder and taking the picture. Appericiate your help.

Thanks Mehboob

Nick_3536
16-Jun-2004, 16:13
Which lens do you have? Which shutter is it in?

Jim Rice
16-Jun-2004, 17:16
There is a little tab (stainless, if i recall right) at the bottom of the screen. Press it and the focussing hood should pop open. Open the shutter, and look in the hood. The hood is also removable by pressing the springs at it's sides outward. Press in the sides of the hood inward to close it.

Jim Rice
16-Jun-2004, 17:20
On a Pacemaker, anyway. Also www.graflex.org

LeBaron Smith
16-Jun-2004, 18:13
As Jim says a little metal tab is pushed on the back of the camera. The tab is on the Graflex back. A metal viewing hood will open, and the ground glass can be seen. You must open the lens shutter, and set the lens opening to the largest opening, F4.5, F4.7, F6.3, whatever it is. Then the easiest way is to set the shutter to "T", and press the shutter release. The shutter will open, and stay open. You can use a press release also which is on some lenses. The "T" is the easiest. Now you can focus on the ground glass. You don't need a dark cloth but when the sun is low and behind you, you may want to take your shirt/jacket off and put it over the viewing hood and your head to see the upside down image better. When focused, close the hood, press the shutter release, the shutter will close. Set your Correct F stop and shutter speed, load the cut film holder, and away you go. Welcome to the wonderful world of Graflex Cameras. All the Best: Smitty

Bill_1856
16-Jun-2004, 18:35
Why in the world would anyone say that the best way to open a shutter for preview is to set it on "T"? Absurd!

Lloyd Lim
16-Jun-2004, 20:07
Hi,

It really depends on your shutter. Certain shutters do not have a preview lever, others do not have a T, only B (.e.g Compur 00)

And if the lens is in barrel, :) :)

We can probably give better advice once we know which shutter you are using.

MattO
16-Jun-2004, 20:16
Why not do the looking yourself - do a search of the archives, or go to Q.T's main page. There is more help there than you could digest in a month.

THEN if you have such basic questions, come back and ask.

Mehboob
18-Jun-2004, 22:00
Thanks everyone for your encouraging remarks.

My lens is Schnieder 135 f/1:4.7. It does not have "T" but only "B". I move the shutter to "B" position, cock the shutter, then open the viewing hood and fire the shutter release. The image appears on the viewing screen but I have to keep holding the shutter release button with one finger while I focus and compose. Once done, I release the shutter, set the proper value of apperture & shutter, insert the sheet holder, cock the shutter and take the picture.

Is this the right way of doing things? or it could be simpler? As I come from 35 mm background (using Nikon FM3a right now), this process seems to be a bit tideous. But I am ready to learn if the results are rewarding.

I use Ilford FP4 monochrome film as I love B&W photography.

Will wait for your advice.

Thanks again

Dan Fromm
19-Jun-2004, 05:54
Mehboob, Nick and Lloyd asked you which shutter your lens is in. You haven't answered.

That was a serious question. Many, not all, shutters intended for use on press and view cameras have "shutter open" mechanisms that work at all shutter speeds. These mechanisms all embody much the same idea but implement it differently. If you won't tell us which shutter your lens is in, we can't know if your shutter has the mechanism. It its there, some one will be able to tell you how to use it.

Cheers,

Dan

Bill_1856
19-Jun-2004, 06:29
I presume that your Schneider lens is mounted in a Compur shutter. There are two different mechanisms used on the Compur to hold open the shutter blades for focusing. 1) a lever on the side of the shutter (clockwise from the cocking lever when viewed from the front) which is pressed after the shutter is cocked, 2) a small button on top of the shutter. Cock the shutter, push and hold the button BACK and trip the shutter release. This will arrest the shutter blades while they are open. On some shutters this button is not the "press focus" button, but when pushed back it allows you to move the cocking lever a little farther and engages the self-timer. If neither of these works, you will need a cable release with a locking screw to hold the shutter open while it's set on "B". Don't forget to close the shutter blades before inserting your film into the camera. Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of Large Format (where everything is more difficult that it should be).

Mehboob
19-Jun-2004, 06:52
Dan, Frankly, I havn't got a clue about the type of shutter on my camera. I am absolutely new to LF photography. I certainly need help from you people. I saw few extremely nice landscape photographs that someone took using a 5x4 camera. That is how it all started.

Bill, Thanks for the suggestions. I will check these out today and will let you know. If nothing else works, I will use the cable release that I bought for FM3a.

Dan Fromm
19-Jun-2004, 16:45
Mehboob, if you want help you'll have to help yourself. Please describe your shutter.

There should be a maker's name, e.g., Compur, engraved on its front. There may be a model name engraved there too. Given that it came on a Crown Special, odds are it is a Synchro Compur or a Synchro Compur-P. It might also be a Graphex. Shutters usually have their names engraved on them, look! Graphexes have much text on their front covers. Look!

It should have levers sticking out of it, and they should be associated with markings on the side. In addition to the obvious cocking and aperture selection levers, there might be a flash sync lever, possibly with a green dot on its front and associated with markings M and X.

There should be something to accept the threaded end of a cable release.

Are there any other levers or knobs? If so, tell us about them.

Cheers,

Dan

Also, go wail for help on the www.graflex.org help board. I suggest this because Les Newcomer, who has many, many Graphics with lenses made for them, is a moderator there and may be able to help you recognize what you have and cope with it. He's writing on a book about Graphics, has seen most of the production variants. The Xenar was the Crown Special's standard issue lens, so that's what you probably have, and in the standard issue shutter as well.

Mehboob
26-Jun-2004, 03:50
Thanks Bill, it really worked !

I cocked the shutter and held back the small button on the left while I released the shutter. It kept the shutter open and I could preview the the picture.

Also, I have noted what is written on my shutter which is:

Scheneider 135/1:4.7 Kreuznach Xenar Synchro Compur-P

It has "B" to 1/500 of shutter speed.

I don't know what to do with the dot that can be set to "M" or "X". I only have a flash gun for my Nikon but will it work with this camera?

Thanks everyone for all the help. Now is the time to actually create some negatives with this camera.

I paid about $400. Was it the right money for this camera and lens?

Dan Fromm
26-Jun-2004, 04:33
Mehboob, you can use for "flash gun for my Nikon" with your Graphic. Set the flash sync selector to "X" when using electronic flash, to "M" when using flash bulbs.

Whether you paid too much depends on the camera's condition. But and however, once you've bought something, what matters is that you have it and use it, not whether you "stole" it or overpaid. Don't look back, just use your camera and be happy.

Cheers,

Dan