PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tachihara 4x5 field camera

redshift
17-May-2013, 05:28
There is a Tachihara Cherry Wood 4x5 field camera for sale on the Bay for $650. Almost looks too good to be true but the seller has 100% feedback. I don't need another camera (want may be a different story) so I'm not buying. Is it a good deal?

Jim Jones
17-May-2013, 06:32
A patient buyer might do better. My Ikeda Imba in fine condition with a mediocre lens was under $500 a few years ago. The completed sales for similar cameras are a good guide to current prices.

Brian Ellis
17-May-2013, 07:32
New ones sell for $895. So if you were buying, and if the camera was in mint condition, $650 would be a pretty good deal. I've owned two Tachis, they're very nice cameras especially if you hike. While there are other cameras in the same price range that have more movements and so may look better on paper, I never felt that the Tachi's movements limited me in any way. And keeping movements to the essentials reduces weight and complexity.

redshift
17-May-2013, 07:41
I didn't realize they were that inexpensive new. I would have guessed double that at least.

Joseph Dickerson
17-May-2013, 07:43
Like Brian says, really good camera, pretty good price. But...no Graflok back...if you need one.

JD

Brian Ellis
17-May-2013, 07:51
Yes, that's a good point. But I used the Calumet 6x7 roll film back and it seemed to work pretty well with the Tachis. I actually liked it better than the Graflok back type because you just slide the Calumet under the ground glass frame, you don't have to remove the ground glass frame to put the back on the camera then take it off again. But then that's the only roll film back I ever used so I can't compare to a Graflok back.

Joseph Dickerson
17-May-2013, 11:30
Brian, you're right, the Calumet/Cambo RFH works fine and Wista makes (or made, maybe Bob S. can comment, Bob?) one that has a "guard" to protect the gg from scratches.

If I remember correctly the back on the Tachihara/Osaka really opens wide so some backs that would normally require a Graflok back will slip in, so with the Tachihara it's probably less of an issue that with many other cameras.

JD

Alan Gales
17-May-2013, 13:50
I didn't realize they were that inexpensive new. I would have guessed double that at least.

I purchased mine brand new from Badger Graphics a few years ago for $650.00. A month or two later the price shot up to over $800.00.

Heroique
17-May-2013, 13:58
I got in before the price vault, too.

My brand new Tachi was $599 from Midwest Photo.

It came with a copal 0 board.

Alan Gales
17-May-2013, 14:31
I got in before the price vault, too.

My brand new Tachi was $599 from Midwest Photo.

It came with a copal 0 board.

And I thought I did well! :)