PDA

View Full Version : Help to fix broken cable release on old Compur shutter

freddenacka
17-May-2013, 04:51
Halo
I forgot today to take away my cable release from the shutter when I did put the camera back to its bag.
It is now broken and I really hope it is possible to fix it.
Do you know if it is possible? I can but it back but it fell of very easy.

John Koehrer
17-May-2013, 18:06
Personally I'd use JB Weld. If used sparingly it will work with no problem, the idea is to use a toothpick as an applicator.
I use Post-It notes to mix, one small drop of each tube, mix until a uniform color and put it on the section that inserts into the
hole. Keeping it away from the threads and bottom of the threaded section.
The amount on the TP should be enough to rub onto the flat surface, and not more.

JB Weld is a form of epoxy that isn't brittle and tend to be more forgiving if it's bumped.

Where are you located?

freddenacka
18-May-2013, 00:14
Personally I'd use JB Weld. If used sparingly it will work with no problem, the idea is to use a toothpick as an applicator.
I use Post-It notes to mix, one small drop of each tube, mix until a uniform color and put it on the section that inserts into the
The amount on the TP should be enough to rub onto the flat surface, and not more.

JB Weld is a form of epoxy that isn't brittle and tend to be more forgiving if it's bumped.

Where are you located?

Thanks for advice!
I will se where I can find that glue.
I live in Stockholm, Sweden :)

Regular Rod
18-May-2013, 02:55

On a related subject, can anyone tell me where I might be able to obtain one of those components? If I could get one and some of the JB Weld I might be able to get an old Wray in a #2 Compur working again...

RR

freddenacka
19-May-2013, 03:48

Where are you located?

I did now put it back with some epoxy glue. It seam to work, I come back if it broke.
Did clean the parts with isopropanol first

John Koehrer
19-May-2013, 14:26
Preparation is very important using the alcohol was excellent.
It may hold just as it is but you may consider a small fillet around the base of it. Just for a bit more support.

freddenacka
20-May-2013, 02:35
Cool It seams to work, I think I will get another 150mm later but have to wait untill I get egnugh carsh. Meanwhile I use this lovly german ;)

Jon Shiu
20-May-2013, 08:40
On a related subject, can anyone tell me where I might be able to obtain one of those components? If I could get one and some of the JB Weld I might be able to get an old Wray in a #2 Compur working again...
RR

Perhaps you could get a part off any broken shutter and just glue it on, if it is the right length?

Jon

John Koehrer
25-May-2013, 18:44
JB Weld is a two part epoxy that can be machined and shaped. It can even be threaded. I don't know if it's available in Sweden but would try an online search first.
If it's not available I can pick up & send a small package for you. For actual price & shipping,

freddenacka
26-May-2013, 00:54
Very cind Thanks! It seams to work with this epoxy that I uses now but if it doesn't then I will decently try to get JB.

Regular Rod
26-May-2013, 02:12
Perhaps you could get a part off any broken shutter and just glue it on, if it is the right length?

Jon

It's a broken shutter I'm trying to repair but don't even know what the component is correctly called and don't know who might be able to supply me one.

RR

Jon Shiu
26-May-2013, 06:45
It's a broken shutter I'm trying to repair but don't even know what the component is correctly called and don't know who might be able to supply me one.

RR

I can send you a few broken shutters and you could salvage a cable release socket and glue it on. These aren't the same the same model though, so would require some filing/fitting and disassembly.

Jon

Regular Rod
27-May-2013, 01:20
Thank you Jon that is most kind of you. PM sent...

RR