PDA

View Full Version : I made some lens tests

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:22
HI, I started to collect some vintage and modern LF lenses as I didn't knew which kind of I actually wanted so I got a few and made a digital "test" with them.
I don't know if this against some rules of this forum because I just put my Panasonic GH2 behind my Sinar P2 and put one lens in front.
I always took one image wide open, all of one "model", my 4x5" Cham.

So, I will just post the images here with the lens name above.
No image is sharpened or softened, not photoshoped.
Maybe I added some light but no contrast.
This is NO professional test.

JG

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:31
Carl Zeiss Jena Anastigmatlinse 285mm

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:34
Carl Zeiss Jena Protarlinse 22/29cm / both lenses in shutter

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:35
Carl Zeiss Jena Protarlinse 22/29cm / rear element only

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:35
Ernemann 30cm Projection Petzval lens

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:36
Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 4.5/21cm

Ken Lee
16-May-2013, 08:37
Since aperture influences the look of the image, you might find it instructive to share that information too.

It's good that the Sinar is on a tripod, but if the digital camera with with you made these images was not, then your images may not consistent.

The fewer the variables we introduce when testing, the better.

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:37
Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 4.5/15cm with separation between the two cemented front elements

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:38
Kodak Anastigmat 6.3/170mm

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:40
Rodenstock Imagon 5.8/300mm
1st at 5.8
2nd at 9.5
3rd at 11.5

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:40
Schneider APO-Symmar 5.6/180mm

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:41
Sinaron S 5.6/210mm

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 08:42
Sinaron S 5.6/300mm

Ken Lee
16-May-2013, 08:54
In order to appreciate the difference in blur rendition (and not be confused the effect of longer and shorter lenses), it's best if the subject appears the same size on the ground glass on all images and that we not crop the digital image files at all.

If you take your photo with a 300mm lens at 5 feet away, then you will get roughly the same magnification at 2.5 feet with a 150mm lens, etc. Otherwise, we are comparing apples to oranges as they say.

If you place a card in the scene which identifies each lens and f/stop used, there is no need to label or track the images: they are self-documenting.

Nathan Potter
16-May-2013, 09:28
HI, I started to collect some vintage and modern LF lenses as I didn't knew which kind of I actually wanted so I got a few and made a digital "test" with them.
I don't know if this against some rules of this forum because I just put my Panasonic GH2 behind my Sinar P2 and put one lens in front.
I always took one image wide open, all of one "model", my 4x5" Cham.

So, I will just post the images here with the lens name above.
No image is sharpened or softened, not photoshoped.
Maybe I added some light but no contrast.
This is NO professional test.

JG

Not a professional test indeed. Can you draw any conclusions from these tests yet?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Jim Noel
16-May-2013, 09:43
So, what do you want from us?

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 10:06
Since aperture influences the look of the image, you might find it instructive to share that information too.

It's good that the Sinar is on a tripod, but if the digital camera with with you made these images was not, then your images may not consistent.

The fewer the variables we introduce when testing, the better.

Dear Ken,
the camera is directly mounted on the P2 so no other tripod is needed.
As mentioned in the firts post all images are taken with aperture fully open.
JG

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 10:08
I do not want anything.
My concluson is that the Protarlinse has a very creamy look, which I like.
Also the Apo-Lanthars are very sharp and good in contrast.

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 10:10
In order to appreciate the difference in blur rendition (and not be confused the effect of longer and shorter lenses), it's best if the subject appears the same size on the ground glass on all images and that we not crop the digital image files at all.

If you take your photo with a 300mm lens at 5 feet away, then you will get roughly the same magnification at 2.5 feet with a 150mm lens, etc. Otherwise, we are comparing apples to oranges as they say.

If you place a card in the scene which identifies each lens and f/stop used, there is no need to label or track the images: they are self-documenting.

Thank you Ken for your input.
I will try to do that.
Still learning and trying to improve.
JG

E. von Hoegh
16-May-2013, 10:26
I do not want anything.
My concluson is that the Protarlinse has a very creamy look, which I like.
Also the Apo-Lanthars are very sharp and good in contrast.

Try a Dagor or Dagor type at f:16. Creamier!:)

Jo Geier
16-May-2013, 11:58
Try a Dagor or Dagor type at f:16. Creamier!:)

Thank you for the info, I am already after one for along time.
JG

Jody_S
16-May-2013, 13:45
Carl Zeiss Jena Protarlinse 22/29cm / both lenses in shutter

I like this one. I suspect much of the softness with the Ernemann projection lens is lack of flocking inside the lens, you're getting flare from the barrel?

Dan Fromm
16-May-2013, 14:53
To echo Mr. Potter's question, I shoot landscapes much more than portraits. When my subjects are closer than far far away, they're closer than yours.

For both types of shots, how will your trial shots help decide which lenses to use or pursue? I don't see much in the way of fine detail in the shots you posted. How can they help me decide how well the lenses you tried out render fine details?