PDA

View Full Version : a New 8x10

Deniz
16-Jun-2004, 01:44
Hi,

I decided to invest in a new 8x10 camera as of tonight. I've been using a 1890 ROC Carlton for a while and the non standard back and the pinhole filled bellows has been pissing me off a little, not to mention very limited movements. I have decided that i will be spending $1300 or so on this camera so my options are

1)A used good condition Deardorff 2)Brand new Tachihara double extension 3)shen-hao (haven't seen the 8x10 version being sold in N. America)

I really want a nice camera this time. Something that wont piss me off with problems

What is your opinion on this?

Bill Jefferson
16-Jun-2004, 03:05
Rebuild your camera, replace the bellows with rubber, add a standard back

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
16-Jun-2004, 03:29
I would recommend the new Tachihara double extension. It is new, it has definatly the best ground glass ( with an included fresnell), and it has bellows long enough for a 450 mm lens and close-ups with the 300 and 240 mm lenses. When I had had it for six years I got the idea to "upgrade" it for a Deardroff and paid almost the triple amount for a new "Dorff", one of the last Jack made. It was OK as an investment I found out when sold it in Germany two years later. But as a camera to take photograps it had only one advance over the Tachihara; it had a good upwards shift on the front, a plus when photographing buildings. The rigidity of the "Dorff" left a lot to wish for and I ordered a Tachihara ground glass for it as soon as I started use it. But it was god looking: all that mahagony and polished steel. Now I have a Pillips Advanced Series; light, ugly, simple to use, very rigid an with a Tachihara ground glass. But you have to wait two years at least for a Phillips.

Jim_3565
16-Jun-2004, 05:02
I once had a dealer ship me a Deardorff and after two days I sent it back. Gawd but that thing was heavy! I ordered the double extension Tachihara and now I can go two or three miles with that thing on my back. With the Deardorff, which admittedly was more sturdy and rigid, I couldn't carry it more than about 50 ft. I use 19" Artar and 12" Dagor lenses on it. I can't get too close with the Artar (maybe ten feet) but since I don't do commercial work I don't need to. You should bear in mind that there is no on-axis tilt or shift movement on either standard with the Tachihara, but I have not found this to be a problem. If you need those movements you might want to lean toward the Shen-Hao.

Scott Soper
16-Jun-2004, 06:30
The Shen-Hao 8x10 is being listed by Midwest Photo, in Columbus, Ohio. http://www.mpex.com/ (http://www.mpex.com/large_format_department_equiptment.htm)

Edward (Halifax,NS)
16-Jun-2004, 06:39
The Shen hao might be a little bit pricey. It costs the same as the triple extension Tachihara at Midwest Photo.

Jim Rhoades
16-Jun-2004, 08:02
A key here might be your use of the word "invest". That would mean a Dorff. Unlike other posters, I find that a 18/19 inch lens is not all that long. While lighter, a double extension would not be long enought for me. Look carefully at your use of other lenses in other formats. Anticipate room to grow.

Now a Phillips or a Canham will give you the extension and be more rigid than a Dorff at a greater cost. Rigid is a fleeting thing when racked out to 30 inches.

Ted Harris
16-Jun-2004, 08:03
I can only comment on the Tachihara. I used one for several years and, apart from it being a bit heavy, had absolutely no problems with it. Before the Tachihara I used a Wisner Traditional which I disliked for a number of reasons. I have since replaced the Tachihara with a Phillips Compact II.

John Kasaian
16-Jun-2004, 08:08
I've never used a 8x10 Tachi, but I'm quite happy with my 'dorff and have never felt the need to "switch horses."

Cheers!

wfwhitaker
16-Jun-2004, 09:36
I have to throw my vote in for the Kodak Masterview. An excellent design, it is both simple to operate and reasonably rigid at extension. Mine has the Tachihara ground glass installed which is a pleasure to use. Used models show up occasionally. Midwest is currently listing one within your price constraint.

Ralph Barker
16-Jun-2004, 09:38
With a budget of $1300, I think you'll be happy with the Tachihara, Deniz. I've certainly been happy with mine. It looks nice (albeit slightly gaudy), the build quality is quite good for the price, and it's reasonably durable. The GG with fresnel is bright and easy to focus with.

You should, however, recognize the Tachi's limitations before purchasing. The (synthetic, not leather) bellows are not interchangeable, making its use for architectural work limited. And, the rear swing is both limited and a little funky - the rear standard is moved with two knobs, one on either side. To get rear swing, one side is advanced farther than the other (the triple extension Tachi, I believe, has a swing plate). Otherwise, for field use with landscapes and such the movements are sufficient. Note, too, that accessories for the Tachi are limited. If you want a reducing back, you'll need to make it yourself.

The 'Dorff might be a better "investment" due to its near "cult status", but the Tachi is a good compromise between features and price.

CXC
16-Jun-2004, 11:05
I would go new rather than used, and more movements rather than less: Shen-Hao.

Gem Singer
16-Jun-2004, 11:24
Hi Deniz,

A few months ago, I ordered a new 8X10 Shen Hao camera from Midwest Photo. When it finally arrived, Jim called to say that he had received the camera, and the bellows was improperly attached to the front frame (he thought it was a manufacturing defect). He asked for my patience while he ordered a second 8X10 Shen Hao. When it arrived, it had the same problem with the bellows mounting as the first one.

Jim's advice for me, at that point, was to buy theTachihara 8X10 double extension model with an adapter that enables the use of my Ebony/Linhof Tech type lensboards. That way, I can use my longer lenses (the ones that have sufficient coverage) on my 4X5 Ebony as well as the new 8X10 Tachi. I saved (approx.) $500 by getting the Tachi instead of the Shen Hao. The Shen Hao definitely has more features, but the Tachi seems to have excellent build quality, with enough features for general photography. So far, I am enjoying it and glad things worked out the way they did.

Peter Galea
16-Jun-2004, 21:26
Two words: Deardorff

Diane Maher
21-Jun-2004, 11:11
Is there a site or article somewhere where 8x10 cameras have been compared to each other in regards to features, movements, etc? Or is it more a case of jumping from one site to another?

Norm Johnson
6-Sep-2004, 14:41
Your question on information source.

For years I have bought the book, View Camera Technique by Leslie Stroebel. It is bible like and has that information an other very useful. Edition 7 has tables on 111 cameras and 150 view lenses. It is the best I have ever seen.

Hope this is useful. Beforre getting on camera was reviewing it for information for a friend that wants to go LF.

Norm