PDA

View Full Version : ESC4P Fundraising Campaign on Indiegogo

Laura_Campbell
14-May-2013, 15:31
ESC4P Indiegogo Fundraising Campaign

Click here to visit the ESC4P Indiegogo Campaign (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/396402/wdgi/3126303)

We’re ready to get going and with your help we’ll soon be able to implement some of our big plans. We’ve kicked off our first fundraising campaign expressly to fund our floating-platform artist-in-residence program.

We want to provide one week sessions in the artist’s choice of either Lone Pine, CA, or Jerome AZ. To make the program available to the largest number of photographers, we will be offering one residency with a stipend to offset the artist’s expenses and one scholarship residency with stipend and paid lodging.

We anticipate high interest in the program not only because of the photogenic locations but because the participants will have their work published in View Camera Magazine.

But we haven’t forgotten our donors. There is a variety of perks that we are offering to sweeten the deal for you when you donate: t-shirts, prints, hats, workshops, magazine subscriptions, and more.

And in the future we will be offering more programs to promote the continued use of the large format camera.

We're out to support large format photography and the artists who produce it. Show your passion by making a donation and scoring some awesome perks. Check out our campaign: ESC4P Indiegogo Campaign (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/396402/wdgi/3126303)

Thank you for your support!

Eastern Sierra Center for Photography is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit arts service organization. Contributions for the purposes of Eastern Sierra Center for Photography must be made payable to Fractured Atlas and are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.

Erik Larsen
15-May-2013, 05:42
Good luck Laura! I hope many members of this forum can help out with the fund raising if they are able to.
Regards
Erik

Laura_Campbell
15-May-2013, 08:02
Good luck Laura! I hope many members of this forum can help out with the fund raising if they are able to.
Regards
Erik

Thank you for your support, Erik!

Laura_Campbell
16-May-2013, 11:33
ESC4P is a charitable organization. Our programs depend on contributions from donors like you! The contributions we've received so far will provide a stipend to one LF photographer participating in our artist-in-residence program.

ESC4P Indiegogo Campaign (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/396402/wdgi/3126303)

Kirk Gittings
16-May-2013, 20:53
This is a serious project and very worth supporting IMHO guys. Lets help out like we did with Bill Schwab!

Jim Fitzgerald
16-May-2013, 22:06
I agree and you know I'm in Laura.

Merg Ross
16-May-2013, 22:12
I'm in total agreement with Kirk. A lot of thought has gone into this project, and it deserves support from the large format community. I'll be contributing in a small way, and hope some of you will join in.

AmandaTom
16-May-2013, 22:51
I hit up Ma & Pa for a donation but all they gave me was a smile. As the CFO, I say thanks to those of you who have donated actual dollars.

Laura_Campbell
16-May-2013, 23:18
Thank you so much Kirk, Jim, and Merg for expressing your support for this project. It's a bit late for coffee, but I suppose I could use a slice of protein.

matthew blais
17-May-2013, 09:46
I think 4 possum skins equals about a $75 contribution..soon as I sell 'em Laura I'll kick in :)
(inside joke people)

Laura_Campbell
17-May-2013, 12:43
Wahy thenk yew Mr. Blais four yer jenerositay. Thet maykes mah dey! Ah shore hope thet ah can see ya'll real soon! Ah'll be shore to ask mah couzin 'bout hes couzin.

Laura_Campbell
17-May-2013, 13:00
ESC4P and View Camera

ESC4P has partnered with View Camera Magazine. Artists participating in our Artist-in-Residence program will have their work published in the only periodical devoted exclusively to large format photography. Thank you Steve Simmons for your generosity and support.

What connects us all is our passion for large format photography. Let's unite as a community and support one another. Together we can promote the continued use of the large format camera.

About the ESC4P AIR Program

Our artist-in-residency is open to anyone shooting large format, film or digital. Each artist will submit an application, a portfolio, and a letter explaining their goals for a residency. Subject matter while participating is wholly artist-driven though there are some expectations on behalf of ESC4P. The resident is expected to donate 2 prints to the organization and an additional print to be gifted to either the Southern Inyo Hospital (if the residency is in Lone Pine), or the Jerome Historical Society for Jerome residencies. The artist is also expected to plan one event to share their work with the public within the community they select, either an informal lecture or a demonstration. He or she will be aided in this endeavor by ESC4P staff who will provide the venue and supporting logistics. The event will be video taped to share online for public education.

Upon completion of the residency, the artist's work will be featured in View Camera Magazine. At least two images must be from the residency, preferably more. The work will also be showcased on our website. When enough residencies have been completed, the work will become part of a traveling exhibit.

To sum up:

Our artist-in-residency is open to anyone shooting large format, film or digital.

The artist must:

Submit an application
Submit a portfolio
Submit a letter outlining his or her goals for the residency

The artist will receive:

A stipend of $1400 for covering expenses or, for artists with financial need, a scholarship of the stipend of $1400 + the cost of accommodation
Publication in View Camera Magazine (note that at least 2 images must be from the residency)
Work showcased on the ESC4P website
Participation in a traveling exhibit when enough residencies have been completed

The resident artist is expected to provide ESC4P the following:

Hold one public event, either a lecture or demonstration
This will be videotaped and shared online for public education
ESC4P staff will provide the support for venue, advertising, etc
Donate 2 prints from the residency
Donate 1 print to be gifted to a charitable organization in the residency area

For every dollar donated to our current fundraising campaign, 80 cents goes directly to funding. The 20% overhead covers the cost of perks, postage, and the administrative fee we pay to Fractured Atlas, our fiscal sponsor. Members of the Board of Directors receive only the cost of materials for any item they donate.

Laura_Campbell
18-May-2013, 08:49
ESC4P is accepting images for our online gallery which showcases the work of large format photographers. Images must be made with a large format camera. ESC4P was conceived to promote the use of large format photography across economic, gender, and age boundaries.

http://esc4p.org/submissions/

austin granger
20-May-2013, 09:18
As much as I despise the idea of anyone but me being this "artist-in-residence," I've just contributed to the campaign. Seriously, ESC4P is a worthy endeavor, and I think it would behoove us (there's a term I don't use everyday) to support it our upstanding brethren who are trying to see it through.

I wear a size large t-shirt Laura. Do you have one in black? I like black.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/

Jim Fitzgerald
28-May-2013, 08:59
People, this is a very worthwhile cause. This is a NON PROFIT!! Help keep what we love to do alive and help inspire photographers to keep large format photography alive. I for one will donate my time teaching carbon transfer printing to those who are interested when the non profit gets established and set up. We need to raise money for this to happen. Be a part of it and help Laura get this going. We did it for Bill Schwab! If you love the Eastern Sierra as much as I do then get involved. Give what you can. Hell 5 bucks is not going to kill you, really. Any amount will help the cause. Thanks.

Merg Ross
28-May-2013, 21:38
People, this is a very worthwhile cause. We need to raise money for this to happen. Be a part of it and help Laura get this going.

Jim, I agree, and am part of it.

Laura_Campbell
28-May-2013, 21:49
Thank you to everyone who has contributed! Thank you letters have been sent so if you don't see it in your inbox, please check your spam folder.

Laura_Campbell
28-May-2013, 23:03
Thank you for your support Jim, and Merg!

This is a charitable organization that I founded for the purpose of promoting and revitalizing large format photography. If you feel as passionate about LF as we do, please consider helping out.

We have been offered a grant for the youth summer program (teaching youth about culture, environment, geography, and water issues, through LF photography). This program will serve underprivileged kids in the Eastern Sierra. That program begins in Summer 2014. You can learn more about that program on the ESC4P website in the coming weeks.

Our attorney advised us that we would need to seek funding for the artist-in-residence program within the LF community. There simply aren't grants available in Inyo County for an artist-in-residence (AIR) program. That being said, I chose to fundraise for the AIR program now because I knew it would be the most difficult program to launch. It's up to us (members of the LF community) to make that program a success.

ESC4P is a serious endeavor, and I am dedicated to its success. I hope you'll consider contributing.

"ESC4P was conceived to promote the use of large format photography across economic, gender, and age boundaries."

ESC4P.org (http://esc4p.org)
Our campaign on Indiegogo (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/396402/wdgi/3126303)

If you have questions, feel free to contact me at (760) two-six-seven - 3840.

You can get a feel for who I am (for those of you who don't know me) in the Mar/Apr issue of View Camera Magazine. That article is available in PDF format on the ESC4P website (http://esc4p.org/founder/). Or visit my website to learn even more: About Laura (http://lauracampbellfineart.com/blog/?page_id=1531)

Laura Campbell
President and Founder
Eastern Sierra Center for Photography (ESC4P)

Steve Sherman
31-May-2013, 19:32
Congratulations on inspiration to all analog Large Format photographers, well done Laura!

Laura_Campbell
4-Jun-2013, 13:41
Thank you, Steve! :-)

Laura_Campbell
4-Jun-2013, 13:49
In case you're curious about ESC4P's Youth Program (starting summer 2014), more information about that program is posted below. OT, I'll be in Lone Pine Thursday-Saturday of this week if anyone would like to meetup for coffee or photography.
---

Youth Program (ESC4P)

The Eastern Sierra Center for Photography is dedicated to serving local youth by providing workshops in the use of the large format camera in conjunction with teaching awareness of the environment and contemporary issues.

Our workshops are designed for the middle and high school student and will couple photography with lessons that build on ideas and concepts taught during the school year. It is our belief that combining creativity with information results in stronger art and deeper knowledge.

The Owens Valley is home to not only incredible landscapes but important cultural, environmental, and political challenges.

Students will work with local leaders and experts to learn more about the issues facing the people of Owens Valley. This will include learning about hydrology and local water issues; traveling to parks and preserves in the area and gaining insight into their history and future; explore the spots where many Westerns were filmed; and stand in the tripod locations of such greats as Edward Weston and Ansel Adams.

Students will make pinhole cameras as well as have the opportunity to use 4×5 cameras. We will use a variety of techniques chosen for their immediacy such as peel-apart films and direct positive paper. Our goal is to provide both intellectual and physical fodder for artistic expression. Workshops will conclude with a student presentation and show of their work.

Merg Ross
5-Jun-2013, 21:34
Perhaps, I am among a small group introduced to photography as a child. The events and people surrounding me in my early, and teen years, sent me down the path of a life in photography. I can look back on six decades of passion and purpose that have not dimmed. An awareness of this beginning, has made me responsive to requests for sharing what I have learned and accomplished as a photographer. From local schools, to inner-city schools that I have never visited, my pleasure has been to share and help when possible. The response has been gratifying, and whether photography becomes a life work is not important; the importance is in the introduction to photography, and the lessons learned that may be relevant in a career of a different path.

This is why a program such as the Youth Program is important, and worthy of support from those who have had their lives enriched by photography.

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Jun-2013, 04:57
Well said Merg. Same reasons for me. If I can help someone find their path that would be great.

Erik Larsen
10-Jul-2013, 18:14
A bump to put this back in front of people. If you have the means please consider helping out this worthy cause.

Jim Fitzgerald
10-Jul-2013, 18:19
Donating money is a good thing but also volunteer your time and expertise as well. I asked the APUG founder to help spread the word as well and guess what??? No help!! I mean it is a non profit after all. Erik, thanks for the reminder to keep this going.

Merg Ross
10-Jul-2013, 20:24
A bump to put this back in front of people. If you have the means please consider helping out this worthy cause.

A bump indeed; where are the updates from Laura?

Drew Bedo
21-Jul-2013, 17:53
Sounds great Laura. I am sur that your goals will be met.

How may an artist apply for a residency? What criteria will be used for selection? How will artists be selected?

DennisD
15-Aug-2013, 19:36
Any word on ESC4P ? Or information from Laura ?

It's been very quiet after the fundraising campaign ended.