PDA

View Full Version : Rapax shutter question

Rick A
14-May-2013, 06:33
I just purchased a B&J 4x5 press camera that came with a 135 Weltar Anastigmat in a Rapax shutter. Upon inspection, the "fully functioning" shutter only barely worked at speeds above 'T' and 'B' , and not at all on those settings. The cable release socket wouldnt function, as well as the preview switch wouldnt move. After soaking in lighter fluid for a while. the functions started to work as they should, except the preview switch. It feels like it's grinding, and wont lock open, unless the shutter is cocked, is this normal or is there a more serious problem? BTW, I am keeping the camera and the seller has offered me a partial refund for my inconvenience.

Jon Shiu
14-May-2013, 06:39
Yes, cock the shutter before using preview.

Jon

premortho
17-May-2013, 15:37
The Rapax is one of the worlds great shutters. Definetly worth sending off to Carol Flutoff for a CLA. When they are really stuck, cleaning them with lighter fluid is usually not enoug h to get them functioning reliably again.
I just purchased a B&J 4x5 press camera that came with a 135 Weltar Anastigmat in a Rapax shutter. Upon inspection, the "fully functioning" shutter only barely worked at speeds above 'T' and 'B' , and not at all on those settings. The cable release socket wouldnt function, as well as the preview switch wouldnt move. After soaking in lighter fluid for a while. the functions started to work as they should, except the preview switch. It feels like it's grinding, and wont lock open, unless the shutter is cocked, is this normal or is there a more serious problem? BTW, I am keeping the camera and the seller has offered me a partial refund for my inconvenience.