PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a 4x5

Noah B
12-May-2013, 16:34
Hey guys, this week I'm flying and I want to take along my Calumet XM. I've got all my gear in an older lowepro photo trekker backpack but I'm a bit worried that it might not be enough protection. I'm planning on taking the backpack as my carry on, anyone have any advice on traveling with a kit like this? Thanks

BrianShaw
12-May-2013, 16:48
Hey guys, this week I'm flying and I want to take along my Calumet XM. I've got all my gear in an older lowepro photo trekker backpack but I'm a bit worried that it might not be enough protection. I'm planning on taking the backpack as my carry on, anyone have any advice on traveling with a kit like this? Thanks

I travel with a graphic press camera a lot. The only special handling I give it is knowing where my bag is at all times. I carry in a small shoulder bag with virtually no padding. When on the airpl;ane I keep it beneath the seat in front of me... seen too many times whre someone else pulls bags out of the overhad and manhandles them.

Robert Langham
12-May-2013, 17:06
I flew with Deardorff 5X7 and lenses, meter, et in a zone VI bag as carry on all the way to France and back. Under the seat in front of me coming and going. No problems. They do want to look at it. Carry film in a separate big ziplock so when they give the camera case a few extra zaps the film doesn't get the same treatment.