PDA

View Full Version : Warmtone Paper developer

matthew klos
11-May-2013, 19:24
I have been using TST for some time now as my main paper developer and am looking for something with some more warmer tones. My paper is Ilford warmtone, ive being using Dektol but am still wondering if anyone out there has anything warmer?

Ive been very happy with Edwals platinum II as well but would rather mix my own than have to deal with availability and price. Does anyone know the formula by chance?

jeroldharter
11-May-2013, 19:28
Try Ilford Warmtone developer. You could try Dektol 1:3 which I like with Ilford Warmtone paper.

matthew klos
11-May-2013, 19:32
i like the ilford developer but it comes in very small sizes, again i like to mix my own, and i like availability.

sun of sand
11-May-2013, 19:52
ardol/135

Larry Gebhardt
11-May-2013, 20:32
I'm very fond of Ansco 130, especially if it's had a chance to season (age). I've compared it to a few other warm tone developers on Ilford warmtone and Forte Polywarmtone and I think the Ansco 130 is by far my favorite. I keep a bottle mixed up 1:1 and use it for many sessions. I replenish the bottle back to full with fresh developer (diluted 1:1). I also periodically dump half of it and refill with fresh 1:1 developer (I do this if I notice a change, or if it's been a while since I printed. This is very economical as well.

I mix the Ansco 130 stock from a recipe, but you can also buy kits from the Photographer's Formulary.

swittmann
11-May-2013, 23:13
Matthew, if you wish to mix your own, then you might like the 'Darkroom cookbook' by Steve Anchell.

I also love warm tone papers and developers and use Moersch SE2 and Ethol LPD (1:4). When I started with darkroom printing ca. 10 yrs ago, I used Polywarmton and Agfa Neutol WA, which was a wonderful combination IMHO.

IanG
12-May-2013, 04:03
If you don't mind mixing your own try Ilford ID-78, it gives similar tresults to the commercial Ilford Warmtone developer and Agfa Neutol WA. I make mine up as a concentrate and use a combination of Potassium carbonate and small amout of Sodium hydroxide instead of the Sodium carbonate (this is the commercial approach used by Kodak, Ilford, agfa etc in concentrates).

Remember that exposure and development time affects warmth, shorted dev times and longer exposures give warmer tones, this only works with warm tone papers though. Warmtone papers get colder with age, even a year can make a noticeable difference.

Ian

Robert Langham
12-May-2013, 08:16
I'm using Harmon Warmtone and Ilford Multigrade warmtone paper selenium toned. Still hard to get things as warm as you might like. Might be because I favor longer tray development times. Have to try increasing exposure and cutting that back.

94911 West Dike at dawn, Shiprock, New Mexico.

IanG
12-May-2013, 09:03
I develop for 45 seconds to get warmer tones, that works well with Ilford FB Warmtone paper, and Forte Polywarmtone (my all time favourite paper).

Ian

Bruce Barlow
12-May-2013, 10:39
Years ago I tested a bunch of paper developers. I second the recommendation of Ansco 130. Lovely on warm tone papers, and it keeps forever.