PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock 90mm f6.8 green - dropped and scratched

Juergen Sattler
12-Jun-2004, 20:15
This might be a question for Bob Salomon - but if any of you have any advice for me, please let me know.

I dropped my Rodenstock 90mm, f6.8 lens and the rear element is heavily scratched - it is the latest version with the green stripe - I bought it used 6 months ago and I love this lens. Does Rodenstock sell the rear element only - or even better just the rear glass of the rear element? I would hate to buy a complete new lens! Help - please.

Andrew O'Neill
12-Jun-2004, 20:43
How deep are the scratches? Are they light scratches or deep? Is the glass gouged in some spots? If only light scratches you're probably okay according to my Nikkor SW120 which has lots of light scratches on the rear element from bouncing off of my foot and going for a short skid on the ground. My 90mm Fujinon has gouges (from previous owner) that I filled with black paint and rubbed off excess so that paint stayed in the gouges. I can't see any interference at all on the negatives.

Juergen Sattler
12-Jun-2004, 20:50
The scratches are very deep - I tried the black paint trick already and the scratches are still very visible when I made a Polaroid test print. The lens dropped onto sharply pointed gravel - of course it dropped on the unprotected rear side instead of the front where I had a glass filter on it.

Juergen

ronald moravec
12-Jun-2004, 22:57
I am afraid the rear element needs to be replaced. Try to work over grass if at all possible.

Michael Kadillak
13-Jun-2004, 07:56
You are going to have to go directly to the manufacturer to see if they can accomodate you. I would be willing to bet that it is more expensive than your optic in the used market but you need to at least clarify all of the options so you can get on with your photography and not punish yourself any more than necessary.

Keep your eyes out for another one and look at the bright side - you will have a front element replacement and another shutter for a project down the road. Could have been a lot worse (ie. camera) and YOU did not get injured.

Ever thought about insurance?

Cheers!

Bob Salomon
13-Jun-2004, 08:14
The lens has to go to service and will probably have to go back to Linos for service at the factory. Is it insured? If so do you have a full value replacement policy? If not why not? Also check with your home owner's policy if you are in the U.S.

Lenses and cameras should always be insured against theft and damage.

CP Goerz
13-Jun-2004, 12:04
Why not shoot a sheet of film into a strongly backlit scene and see if there are any signs of degredation in the image(flare, lower contrast in local areas etc). I have used many lenses that looked ghastly but performed like a brand new looking lens. A backlit scene is sure to show any faults the damage may have caused but if you can't see any then the lens is still doing its job no matter how painful it is to look at.

CP Goerz

Tony Peacock
13-Jun-2004, 15:22
I did the same trick with a 210 5.6 Rodenstock but mine dropped on the front and bent the filter thread and scratched the front glass. I sent mine back to Linos through the UK agent and got it back in 2 weeks with the front replaced.The cost was £98 including shipping and tax which was about a third of the price of a used lens. I thought this was a great service especially as I was expecting a response of either no repair or a large charge. I got a quote before I sent the lens. regards Tony

Bill_1856
13-Jun-2004, 21:31
What is "Linos?"

tim atherton
13-Jun-2004, 22:24
What is "Linos?"

the dudes who own Rodenstock...

Bob Salomon
14-Jun-2004, 06:24
"the dudes who own Rodenstock..."

Partially correct.

Linos owns Rodenstock Precision Optical. Have been the owner for the past several years.

Linos does not own any of the other comapnies with the Rodenstock logo such as the eyeglass division.