PDA

View Full Version : Hc-110?

Scott --
9-May-2013, 10:56
Hi, all -

I haven't bought any HC-110 in a while. Just looked on B&H, and it's not offered anymore?! Has Kodak pulled it? WTH?

Scott

Jim Andrada
9-May-2013, 11:07
It was on the BH site 3 minutes ago and in stock. The small bottle is discontinued, but the 1L bottle is available

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=HC-110&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Scott --
9-May-2013, 11:31
Thanks, Jim - not sure how I missed that...

Wonder why they discontinued the smaller bottles?

Jim Andrada
9-May-2013, 16:35
WHo knows - maybe they figure they'll make more $$$

jk0592
9-May-2013, 17:22
Have you noticed that BH will only sell it in their store ?

Roger Cole
9-May-2013, 18:11
There was a thread (or maybe a couple) on APUG about this recently. Apparently the larger size was sold in some markets and they're consolidating the sizes so they only package one size. It's the same stuff.

As for only in the store, that's B&H policy for many chemicals, some you'd never suspect of being any problem to ship. Many other places will ship it. Freestyle has it though currently listed as "low stock."

Jerry Bodine
9-May-2013, 21:35
Many other places will ship it. Freestyle has it though currently listed as "low stock."

Roger, which other places will ship it? All of the usual places I know of don't even stock it in 1L size yet. BTW, it's worth noting that the Freestyle website states the 1L bottle makes 16 liters of working solution, but that's based on Dilution A (the least recommended dilution by Kodak). The most common dilution B would make 32 liters of working solution.

Roger Cole
9-May-2013, 22:34
Freestyle will ship it. I've got an unopened bottle (the older smaller size) I got from them a while back.

But I'll take back the comment about "many." You seem to be right that it's hard to find elsewhere. It was common in the previous size so I thought any place that had the old size would have the new. Freestyle was the only source in the US I could find with a few minutes of google-fu. I think I'm glad I never used it - bought it to try out and also to maybe make some "super soup" to experiment with radical pushing.

It's quite possible that as the new size replaces the old more places will start carrying it.

Drew Wiley
10-May-2013, 09:07
NYC seems to have some special restrictions regarding chemical shipments. This has been going on awhile. HC110 is otherwise readily avail elsewhere.

Roger Cole
10-May-2013, 10:56
I'm not sure it's NYC. Adorama will ship things that B&H will not.

Jerry Bodine
10-May-2013, 11:43
I'm not sure it's NYC. Adorama will ship things that B&H will not.

I queried the B&H Chat Line as to why they will not ship. Here's the response (edited):

Jerry Bodine : Why is B&H not shipping HC-110 film developer in the new one liter size (must buy in Superstore only)? Is it personal choice rather than gov't regulation. Another source will ship it but at higher product cost than B&H.
Jirel M: I do not know why that product is available for store pickup only.
Jerry Bodine: Can you find out from whoever does know the reason?
JM: We don't permitted to ship it based on the shipping methods that we use. When Kodak ships they have specially obtained permits.
JM: Sorry: We are not permitted to ship it based on the shipping methods that we use.

I found that the cheapest B&H shipping is via UPS, although others are also offered.

I then queried Freestyle to ask their shipping methods, and they use USPS and FedEx.

So it seems the UPS requirements could be the culprit.

Drew Wiley
10-May-2013, 11:55
No difference in that respect anywhere. Parcel carriers typically demand spill-proof packaging, or distinct hazmat labeling and surchages for certain things, and
might demand ground vs air shpmt. The latter issue is probably the major factor in the B&H decision. But basically, just sounds like they don't want to bother with it.

Roger Cole
10-May-2013, 12:35
I think it's "don't want to bother with it" or perhaps there are permit costs they don't want to pay. I have no problems with Freestyle though plenty of stuff is ground only. Interestingly though, HC-110 is NOT one of them, or at least not listed as such while others are, so if I needed some in a hurry it looks like I could get Freestyle to ship it to me via air.

I'd just get it from Freestyle, which I will if I decide I like it and want more. You may pay a bit more but it's so concentrated already that it will still be a pretty inexpensive developer to use.

Jerry Bodine
10-May-2013, 12:39
But basically, just sounds like they don't want to bother with it.

You're probably right about that, but surely they've weighed that decision vs the loss of sales to customers who aren't able to make it to the store.

Jim Andrada
10-May-2013, 13:06
A lot of places have issues with shipping liquids, period, whether hazardous or not. I get the feeling BH is one of them.

C_Remington
10-May-2013, 13:14
A lot of places have issues with shipping liquids, period, whether hazardous or not. I get the feeling BH is one of them.

But what about the other 700 chemicals that BH ships????????

I think there's something else going on or missing in this story.

Roger Cole
10-May-2013, 13:16

There are also powdered chemicals B&H won't ship. Diafine is one.

Fred L
10-May-2013, 16:05
iirc, B&H shipped PMK Pyro to me in Canada along with a few dry things.