8-May-2013, 16:04
Please see

http://antiquecameras.net/blog.html

thanks
Dan

Emil Schildt
8-May-2013, 16:54
Great...

I see them occationally on the bay and other places...

And I have a huge one here... I can't decipher the text easily on your add, but it would be nice to know what it is...

(I can make a decent image for you if you want me to...)

UPDATE: just read about Zoll, and if I understand it it is about the same as inches(?)

If that is true, by mesurements on my lens it is the second mentioned in nr4 (the sizes of lenses and FL seems rather accurate..)

Amedeus
8-May-2013, 17:01
Up to 42" focal length ... wow ...

Emil ... what is the text on your lens ? Can't read it from the image ...

Emil Schildt
8-May-2013, 17:07
Up to 42" focal length ... wow ...

Emil ... what is the text on your lens ? Can't read it from the image ...

the text cant be more simple:

no 1062

LW Kranz

Braunschweig

Emil Schildt
14-May-2013, 07:37
a Kranz on the bay right now..

Artikelnummer:271163833205

Emil Schildt
14-May-2013, 07:41
..and an Aplanat...

Artikelnummer:280854516936

Steven Tribe
14-May-2013, 12:20
To say that Krantz lenses are quite close in range/appearance to their big neighbour, Voigtländer, is an understatement!

I used to look for Krantz lenses but quickly found out that price levels are usually the equal of Voigtländer's equivalent model, if not at a slight premium!

Emil Schildt
14-May-2013, 12:51
To say that Krantz lenses are quite close in range/appearance to their big neighbour, Voigtländer, is an understatement!

I used to look for Krantz lenses but quickly found out that price levels are usually the equal of Voigtländer's equivalent model, if not at a slight premium!

yes - looks like it.

And that's why my biggy was a "steal" I think..

about 350$

Sevo
14-May-2013, 13:10
UPDATE: just read about Zoll, and if I understand it it is about the same as inches(?)

Zoll/Inch/Pouce all are derived from the Roman uncia (1/12 foot), roughly a thumbs width - but with plenty of variations that crept in over the course of time (in this case, slightly longer than the imperial inch). Note that the catalogue explicitly lists "dimensions in Pariser Zoll" - at the time there were maybe half a dozen different definitions of Zoll left in Germany. Kranz may have referred to the French as the then largest continental European standard because Brunswick had a (shorter than imperial) variation peculiar to the kingdom of Hanover only. Odd though that they used the Prussian currency - at that time Prussia and Hanover had hostile relations (that ended in a bloody war and defeat of Hanover five years later), and I'd have expected them to shun all Prussian units.

Steven Tribe
6-Apr-2018, 06:46
Just for latecomers. The link to the Kranz catalogue (not including the later aplanats) and an interesting Bland & Co. ditto is now changed to these links.

https://www.antiquecameras.net/blog86.html

https://www.antiquecameras.net/images/Bland_1864.pdf