PDA

View Full Version : What a Beauty!

Janko Belaj
11-Jun-2004, 03:53
...what a beauty!

Thanks to all your suggestions... about hour ago I received my Tachihara from Badger Graphic (very fast shipment, and than, unfortunately some problems with custom, tnx to, most probably clumsy FedEx...).
But, all those problems just disappeared after I opened that box... I know that all of you know how Tachihara looks, and I know that it is not the best possible picture of Tachihara, but this one "Tachi" is mine! :-)))

http://belaj.com/unsorted/MY_tachihara.jpg

(Finally, Sinar will be left in his suitcase in my studio, and I will "fly" with this particular Tachihara in my rucksack ;-))

Janko

Jean-Louis Llech
11-Jun-2004, 05:37
Congratulations, Janko. It's really a beautiful camera.
Wooden cameras will always have an advantage over metal cams : their beauty !
And why a good tool would not be also a beautiful tool ?
As esthetics is a basis of photography, why not to start with the camera ?
Have pleasure using it !

jose angel
11-Jun-2004, 06:03
Yes, it is really beautiful... congratulations. Enjoy.

Scott Walton
11-Jun-2004, 06:26
Very nice indeed! I would make one suggestion though... get a ground glass protector. They sell them at Calumet. It would really stink hiking in somewhere, taking out your camera for that perfect picture only to find out that your ground glass has shattered in your back pack... just a thought.

John Kasaian
11-Jun-2004, 08:01
Congratulations!

Michael McBlane
11-Jun-2004, 09:55
It is far too beautiful to use. Get a glass case and set it gently inside. Every Sunday take it out and run a soft rag over it to keep it looking new.

For photography, use the old Sinar, they're a dime a dozen.

Ralph Barker
11-Jun-2004, 10:15
Congratulations, Janko. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new "Tachi". I know I certainly enjoy mine, even though it's a little larger and requires a larger rucksack. ;-)

http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/misc/Photo-gear/16-5RDArtar-040904-02-600c.jpg

Edward (Halifax,NS)
11-Jun-2004, 10:32
Janko, I am very jealous. I would be jealous of Ralph but even if someone gave me the camera and lens I would be hard pressed to afford film and processing. Have tonnes of fun and take lots of pictures.

PS Micheal, what is your address? I need to know where to send my dime.

Jim Ewins
11-Jun-2004, 11:50
I wrap my camera in a piece of foam (like wet suits are made of- outdoor fabric stores have it) with velcro closures. Works great for lenses also. The material comes with facings of different colors, so lenses are easy to id. Congrats. I hope to see my new Wisner arrive today. Jim

Jorge Gasteazoro
11-Jun-2004, 12:45
heh, heh, heh....one more has been assimilated......

Congrats Janko, enjoy it....

Janko Belaj
11-Jun-2004, 12:49
O.K. Ralph... now I'm jealous on your format... I was thinking of buying 8x10 camera, but in such case I will need to but everything. I have 3 lenses covering 4x5", 5 4x5" and 10 9x12cm double holders, some filters and rest of "small" stuff, consider now having few hundreds bucks on which your wife don't know they exist and consider changing format... next year ;-)))
Michael, you may call me nuts or crazy, but 2 years ago I bought a new Sinar... well, now I know that I could get a little bit better with newer lenses and older "lens and film box", but I don't think too much if I have chance to spend my money... a friend of mine just explained my happiness with tachihara: "womens will never understood us: as they grow up, they put their toys away, as we grow up, we change our toys from small toy-cars to big cameras...". And, Michael, another friend of mine (few more came today to my studio to see this little beauty) told that this new Tachi is nice, but I need to run as soon as possible to the see so this "gold" peaces take some salt and become less shiny. In other case I wont be able to take night shots because of "golden flare" ;-)
And, just to make some of you little more jealous - on my trip to the see I will take only a fresh boxes of efke 25... :-)
(Janko, stop smiling so much:-)))
Can't wait to came back and to make few prints...

Mark Sampson
11-Jun-2004, 13:04
Janko- congratulations. It is beautiful. That's about how I felt in 1982 when I bought mine- they were chrome plated then. I used that camera hard for ten years. Sometimes, like now, I wish I still had it. Be gentle with it though, it's not meant for abuse like a Linhof or Graflex.

Emrehan Zeybekoglu
11-Jun-2004, 15:03
Enjoy it!

Philippe Gauthier
11-Jun-2004, 15:09
Great buy. Fine looking camera. The first LF camera I ever saw with my own eyes was a Tachihara, so I always remained a bit partial to them. Be happy together. ;-)

Ralph Barker
12-Jun-2004, 08:43
Don't worry, Janko, all I can do with the 8x10 is contact prints, so the 4x5 still gets a workout. Also on the "bright side", the few additional lenses for the 8x10 also work nicely on the 4x5. With a 4x5 reducing back on the big Tachi, I get a nice mix-and-match arrangement at home or on trips (where I stay close to the car).

Robert Skeoch
12-Jun-2004, 18:40
You're going to love that camera. Great choice. -Rob

David F. Stein
12-Jun-2004, 21:51
As others have said-CONGRATS. And don't fear giving it a patina of use. ENJOY.

Chad Jarvis
14-Jun-2004, 20:26
I am so tempted to post a picture of my $85 Burke and James 4x5 Press with the leatherette completely peeled off it. It's the 1972 Chevy Vega of cameras (sans rust and burning oil).