PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 300 f/5.6 for 5x7

badbluesman
6-May-2013, 19:25
I am shopping for a used 300 f/5.6 lens for 5x7. I lean toward Rodenstock since my other five lenses are all that make. But I am open to a good deal on a Schneider. I have come across several Rodenstocks on eBay. For some reason, the 300 focal length is really pricey. Compared with other expensive used Rodenstocks, such as the 115 f/6.8 Grandagon-N or 90 f/4.5, the used prices for 300 5.6 lenses seem really high.

Anyway, I have found two of particular interest:

-An Apo-Sironar-N asking $1,100
-An Apo-Sinaron-S asking $850 (the version made for Sinar)

The Sinar version does not have the gray ring like the Apo-Sironar-N does. This leads me to believe it may be a 1980s lens, as I think the gray, red, and yellow rings denoting the N, S, and W series Rodenstock lenses came along in the 1990s.

The N-series should work fine for me, since I am shooting 5x7 and won't need the extra coverage afforded by the S and W lenses. The main thing I want is the best possible sharpness and contrast, especially wide open at f/5.6. I have been using an Apo-Ronar f/9 for years and I love the sharpness at close-to-medium distances, but I want the shallower depth-of-field, brighter focusing, and increased movements at infinity of a 300 f/5.6.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jeroldharter
6-May-2013, 19:29
Just make sure you realize how big these lenses are. I picked up a 360/5.6 and was blown away. It's a boat anchor. Make sure you have a strong front standard and a filter system big enough.

Leigh
6-May-2013, 19:35
-An Apo-Sironar-N asking $1,100
-An Apo-Sinaron-S asking $850 (the version made for Sinar)
The Sinaron-S is the same as the Sironar-N. It's an apo design without apo in the name.

Image circle for the 300/5.6 is 425mm, and the flange focal length is 282.0mm.

All of my lenses are Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S, except the very short and very long FLs.
I really like the way they perform.

If you're interested in a Nikon, I have an EXC Nikkor-W 300/5.6 with caps available for $500 plus shipping.

- Leigh

Randy
7-May-2013, 12:51
Can't remember what I paid for my Caltar II-N 300/5.6 on the forum a year or so ago. $300+. As Jerold pointed out above, it is huge. I use it for 8X10 as it weighs more than my 5X7 camera.

BILL3075
7-May-2013, 13:17
Have you considered the 305 G-Claron? Unless you need the speed....

Bill

Scott Davis
7-May-2013, 13:55
Or a 12" Commercial Ektar. A half-stop slower, but a damn nice lens. And it takes a #4 Ilex, which is a lot smaller shutter, and can be mounted to a Linhof Technika board without a custom flange.

Ian Greenhalgh
7-May-2013, 14:35
If you don't need a lens in shutter, there are a lot of 12 inch process lenses to be had cheap. I have Wray Process Lustrar, Cooke Apotal and Ross Apo Xpres process lenses in 300mm, they are f9 or f10 so not fast but the quality is superb, they are also really small for a 300mm.

Jim Becia
8-May-2013, 06:28
No one has mentioned the Fuji 300 5.6. It is in a Copal 3 so it is not small, but it is SHARP! I picked mine up as a "bargain" grade lens from KEH FOR $300 and I have nothing but praise for this lens on my 8x10. I would think that this lens could be found for close to the $400 range. On a 5x7 you will never run out of movements. Jim

Ray Van Nes
8-May-2013, 07:44
I will throw my 2 cents worth in as well. May I suggest the Nikkor-M 300mm? It is tiny, sharp and has acres of coverage for 5x7. Also it is fairly available and reasonable in cost.
Cheers
Ray

Bernice Loui
8-May-2013, 09:59
The limit will be shutter choice. For a Copal# 3, f5.6 will be pretty much it. This is what the majority of modern f5.6 plasmats will be made with. As a group ( Fujinon, Nikkor, Rodenstock, Schneider) they are more similar than different.

Removing the shutter size limits, barrel lenses with larger apertures can be used like a 300mm f4.5 Schneider Xenar. Know "sharpness" at the largest aperture is never going to be as good stopped down at least one f#. This holds true for the vast majority of view camera lenses modern or vintage.

The lens choice really depends on the imaging goals. As for Sironar N -vs- the newer versions, they are better, but in small increments of improvements and not leaps of performance.

The ideal way to make a choice would be to obtain several of the same 300mm f5.6 from the same and different manufactures and test each one carefully under the conditions specific to your imaging needs and choose the best from the group.

Bernice

The main thing I want is the best possible sharpness and contrast, especially wide open at f/5.6. I have been using an Apo-Ronar f/9 for years and I love the sharpness at close-to-medium distances, but I want the shallower depth-of-field, brighter focusing, and increased movements at infinity of a 300 f/5.6.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Drew Wiley
8-May-2013, 11:12
Demanding 5.6 means it will be in a #3 shutter and a pretty massive clunker. But optically, there should be plenty of excellent plasmats to choose from. Yet one
potentially sacrifices the optics if the front standard won't support that kind of weight without risk of vibration. Depends on the camera of course, and field versus
studio use.

Tin Can
9-May-2013, 13:57
I have a Symmar-S 300 mm f5.6 mounted on a newly acquired 5X7 Kodak Clinical, made in Great Britain. The camera supports it well. I like the lens, and if anything, it's mass dampens vibration. I use it solely on a studio stand.