PDA

View Full Version : Apostle Islands, Wisconsin

Brian Ellis
3-May-2013, 12:14
This is probably a long shot but has anyone here spent time photographing in the Apostle Islands of Wisconsin? My wife and I are going to spend a week there (Bayfield) later in May. I'd appreciate any suggestions for photography locations, particular islands to photograph (not much into lighthouses - sea caves, cliffs, beaches are more my thing), getting around (rent a motor boat?), places to stay, restaurants, any other information for a photographer who's never been there and isn't a boater. Thanks

bobwysiwyg
3-May-2013, 16:33
I'll have to follow this. My wife and I vacation in the western U.P. every summer and have been to Bayfield but never made it to the islands...yet.

Brook Martin
4-May-2013, 08:27
You can take a ferry to Madiline island and drive around with the car. Unless you are a very competent big water boater, hire a boat with a captin to take you out to the islands. Even if you could rent a boat yourself, consider that the bottom of the lake is littered with bigger boats with more experienced captains. I have had close calls in the area due to rapidly changing conditions. Alot of good scenes await!

Struan Gray
4-May-2013, 09:28
No concrete suggestions, but this has been in my bookmarks file for a while:

http://www.williamcronon.net/writing/Cronon_Riddle_Apostle_Islands.htm