PDA

View Full Version : New to Large Format Photography - Acquiring range of Lenses for 4x5 Field Camera

Primo I.
3-May-2013, 05:38
Hi everyone,
I am a novice in Large Format and recently purchased a Zone VI model II field camera kit from the original owner who purchased it in 1988. I am trying to build the best range of lenses to use with the camera that would cover 4x5. I currently have 2 lenses that came with the camera. One is the Schneider Kreuznach Symmar MC f/5.6/210mm and the other is a Schneider Kreuznach Symmar S f/5.6/180mm lens.
I took a risk yesterday and purchased four lenses from someone who needed cash right away. The lenses were of no value to him since they were part of an estate liquidation and didn't know much about them.
I was familiar with a couple of them as far as the brand and focal length, but was not sure if they would be of any use in covering my 4x5 camera. They looked immaculate, shuttesr seem to be in excellent working condition, so I figured worst case if I couldn't use them on my camera, I could sell them and buy what I really needed. I am hoping though that at least three of them will cover 4x5 which is the reason I am posting this question. Here is a description of the lenses.

1) Graflex Optar f/ 4.7/135mm lens in a Graphex Shutter

2) Schneider Kreuznach G-Claron f 9/150mm in a Compur O Shutter

3) Schneider Kreuznach Symmar S f/ 5.6/150mm in a Copal - No. O Shutter

4) Technika-Heliar f/1:4.5/24cm Voigtlander Braunschweig Lens in a Packard Ideal Shutter (seems like an electronic Shutter)

I believe from some research I have done, the first three would cover 4x5 but I rather be sure of course. I would like two know what folks here feel about these lenses, if they are any good, worthwhile for 4x5.
Out of the two 150mm Schneider's, which one would be the best overall lens in that Focal length. Can I use the Heliar lens on a 4x5 camera, which I really don't think I could, but it's just so beautiful to look at that I figured I should ask to be safe.
If not, would I be better off in selling them and buying other lenses that would be better suited for the 4x5 camera I have.

I sincerely appreciate any input what-so-ever.
Thank you kindly,

If you think I should post pictures of them, please let me know and I will do that. Thanks

Primo

Tim Meisburger
3-May-2013, 05:53
They are all good lenses that will cover 4x5. The Optar is an old lens make for a Speed or Crown Graphic. Modern lenses are better, but the Optar is lighter and still a good performer. Most people would prefer the Symmar to the G-Claron because it is faster. The Heliar is a good lens, but I have never heard of one mounted in a Packard. Can you post a picture?

Otto Seaman
3-May-2013, 06:32
The Schneider Symmars are good all-around lenses, the 150 and 210 are two of the most popular lenses in large-format. Many people would get a 90mm Schneider Super Angulon to compliment those two and be finished.

John Kasaian
3-May-2013, 07:34
Shoot 'em and evaluate them. All are good lenses---how do they fit your "vision?" Only you can decide that.

Primo I.
3-May-2013, 07:38
Thank you for the information. Here are the pictures of the lenses. I really like this Heliar and would really like to use it on my 4x5 Zone VI, but I am not sure if this shutter mechanism is going to work at all with the camera. I don't know if I would have to replace the shutter for another.94498944999450094501
They are all good lenses that will cover 4x5. The Optar is an old lens make for a Speed or Crown Graphic. Modern lenses are better, but the Optar is lighter and still a good performer. Most people would prefer the Symmar to the G-Claron because it is faster. The Heliar is a good lens, but I have never heard of one mounted in a Packard. Can you post a picture?

Primo I.
3-May-2013, 07:41
Thank you. Yes, I agree on the Schneider Symmars being excellent all around lenses and have contemplated the 90mm Super Angulon, but I am caught between that and the Nikkor 90mm f8 also after reading several thread on the forum. I guess it really boils down to individual preference.

Primo I.
3-May-2013, 07:44
Thank you. One thing I am definitely sure about is that I wish to concentrate on Portraits and landscapes with Portraits being my overall preference for the time being. I like this Heliar, its a really big lens, quite hefty, but I am not sure (I really don't know to be quite honest) if this shutter would have to be replaced and what replacement shutter should I concentrate on replacing it with or lens board for that matter. Please bear with utter lack of knowledge, I am trying to learn and absorb as much and as fast as I can.

jp
3-May-2013, 08:18
The heliar is a quality portrait lens. The electrical connection is for flash sync; the shutter is pneumatic and needs an air hose and bulb. With a household plug, you can use normal extension cords for sync cords rather then build or buy obscure flash cables. You can buy adaptors to go from pc connector to the electrical plug.

Primo I.
3-May-2013, 08:22
Thanks! But isn't this shutter to big to fit a 4x5 (forgive my lack of knowledge if its a dumb question)? I'm trying to research what I would need to do in order to fit this lens on my 4x5.

Brian Ellis
3-May-2013, 12:25

I'm not so sure about most people and that preference. With a lens as long as 150mm f/9 isn't really a problem, at least I never found it to be one. In any event, I'd at least look at other factors such as size, weight, shutter accuracy, coverage (the G Claron has much more coverage than its spec sheet says as long as you stop down to about f/16 or smaller), etc. before picking the Symmar just because it's a 5.6 lens.

Otto Seaman
3-May-2013, 13:19
All the 90mm in the price/size range of the Nikon 90/8 will be good, whether they are Rodenstocks, Schneiders, or Fujis. Buy the one in the best condition for the price.

Selling the Heliar might pay for a lot of film and travel ;-p It could be a great portrait lens but it might be too clumsy to use on the Zone VI even if you managed to adapt the lenboard with some creative woodworking. It would be better on a monorail that uses the Toyo lensboard it is already mounted to. You could buy an entire Toyo G for only a few hundred $.

You can make excellent portraits with the Symmars too, many people have.

Ari
3-May-2013, 13:20
For shooting portraits you might find the f9 G-Claron a bit dim.
You can easily get the classic 90-150-210 line-up by selling the Graflex and G-Claron; keep the Heliar.

Ian Greenhalgh
3-May-2013, 20:24
That Heliar will be worth a pretty packet so if you don't like it or find it too useful, selling it would finance some other purchases.

Primo I.
4-May-2013, 11:31
All the 90mm in the price/size range of the Nikon 90/8 will be good, whether they are Rodenstocks, Schneiders, or Fujis. Buy the one in the best condition for the price.

Selling the Heliar might pay for a lot of film and travel ;-p It could be a great portrait lens but it might be too clumsy to use on the Zone VI even if you managed to adapt the lenboard with some creative woodworking. It would be better on a monorail that uses the Toyo lensboard it is already mounted to. You could buy an entire Toyo G for only a few hundred $.

You can make excellent portraits with the Symmars too, many people have.

Thank you. That might not be a bad idea, I wouldn't mind buying another camera for portrait's only, more so if I can pick it up for $200.00 or less. I think that would be the most cost effective way to go since I really love the look of the Heliar and after more on it, I really think I am going to keep it. I've read this is a great portrait lens, not only from my research, but it seems to be the consensus in the forum so far. I'll start looking.

Primo I.
4-May-2013, 11:33
Thanks. Yes, my initial gut, after reading some of the comments here, told me if I had to sell any of the lenses, these two would be the first to go which would allow me some extra cash to spend on other things and will allow me to test the other lenses and see how they fit with my photography.

Primo I.
4-May-2013, 11:36
Thanks. Yes, I keep reading that its an expensive lens, but to be honest there doesn't seem to be a consistent price range, it seems that the value of this lens is pretty wacky. I've read some value it between 350-500 and then i read other value the lens north of $750.00. I can't see the lens going for that much? If that's the case, then I really did well on buying all of these, more so than I had originally thought. If this is true, I feel compelled to give the individual I purchased them from more money than what I paid for them. It would only be fair and just.

Otto Seaman
4-May-2013, 12:32
Just note that the market is soft for the other lenses, especially something like the Optar that'd be lucky to fetch $75 in spite of it being a fine lens for its purpose.

A Toyo G 4x5 monorail might be in the $200-300 range if you are patient. Most sellers hope to get more but in terms of actually selling the completed sale prices are ridiculously low. Note that you will also possibly need a more robust tripod to go with the heavier camera. Luckily people don't value heavy tripods either and you can pick up a bear of a Majestic or other classic beast for not too much money.

Greg Y
4-May-2013, 13:44
Just to throw in another point of view... I love the G Claron 150. I shoot 5x7 and that 150 along the Dagor 8 1/4" are my two most used lenses. It's small & sharp. If I were keen on portraiture, I sure would not part with the Heliar.

Primo I.
5-May-2013, 04:46
Just note that the market is soft for the other lenses, especially something like the Optar that'd be lucky to fetch $75 in spite of it being a fine lens for its purpose.

A Toyo G 4x5 monorail might be in the $200-300 range if you are patient. Most sellers hope to get more but in terms of actually selling the completed sale prices are ridiculously low. Note that you will also possibly need a more robust tripod to go with the heavier camera. Luckily people don't value heavy tripods either and you can pick up a bear of a Majestic or other classic beast for not too much money.

I started looking after your first reply on the Toyo G and found this one on Craigslist in Bklyn. I've already communicated with the seller and he is asking $250.00 for the camera. I am going to try and go look at it today and see if I can work something out with him and get the camera for $200.00 It's a 4x5 Toyo G based on is listing. We will see94554945559455694557 if I am lucky enough to buy it for that price and hopefully I will be one step closer to using this Heliar.

Primo I.
5-May-2013, 17:32
Otto,
Would a Toyo CX work as well also. I will have to do research on the different types of Toyo 4x5 I am seeing in the marketplace. The seller for the Toyo G I found is MIA all of a sudden. I just saw a Toyo CX for a reasonable price of $150.00, so I thought I would ask you. Thank you