PDA

View Full Version : How to use this cable release bracket?

SpeedGraphicMan
2-May-2013, 15:17
Hello all,

Here is a odd (to me) looking cable release bracket that I am not familiar with...
Could someone please describe exactly how this thing works?

Thanks in advance...

evan clarke
2-May-2013, 16:01
Looks like a solenoid mount..

SpeedGraphicMan
2-May-2013, 17:08
It can't be?
It is for a 90mm angulon on a recessed Linhof board.

Jac@stafford.net
2-May-2013, 17:38
push a cable release in there. does it work?

Vick Ko
2-May-2013, 17:59
Looks like a Linhof release / bracket. See here:

John Koehrer
4-May-2013, 10:16
^^ What he said, it's proprietary to Linhof.
The silver button should be spring loaded. It locks the CR into the socket.

SpeedGraphicMan
4-May-2013, 11:51
^^ What he said, it's proprietary to Linhof.
The silver button should be spring loaded. It locks the CR into the socket.

That is what I figured, but there is no spring in it, so apparently it isn't working properly!

anglophone1
4-May-2013, 13:28
You need a special nipple thingy to use with an ordinary tapered cable release - try eBay?

Bob Salomon
4-May-2013, 14:37
You need a special nipple thingy to use with an ordinary tapered cable release - try eBay?

The nipple is 041066 Nippon Photoclinic has them. But you will need more then that. The Cable Release QS is incomplete.

Bob Salomon
4-May-2013, 14:47
You have an older lens in an old Compur shutter.

When your lens and shutter was made it required a Linhof 001015 lensboard. But your lens was not supplied originally on this board. If it had been the PC contact would face forward rather then up. When you buy a Linhof recessed lens board new that right angle PC adapter is supplied with the board. If your lens was in a Copal shutter then it would have needed a Linhof 001016 recessed board.

After Prontor stopped making shutters Linhof changed the 001015 board to accept either a Compur or a Copal shutter. And now they only make the 001015 as the Comfort board for Copal only.

At some time someone mounted your lens into the wrong board and when that happens the Cable Release QS will not line-up with the shutter and when you rotate the lens so it does the side of the shutter rubs against the recess in the board. So you need the lens to be re-mounted to the correct board, if you can find one, or for service to try to modify the QS to line up on your shutter. You will also need the correct PC contact for the recessed board which service does have if you want to be able to attach a synch cord properly to the shutter.

SpeedGraphicMan
6-May-2013, 10:35
The lens fits in the board just fine... And the Shutter release is lined up perfectly to trip the shutter.
It works fine, but the cable release "pops" out of the holder, which led me to believe a part was missing.

The shutter says "Linhof" on the front (not the board, but the shutter) so I think you may be mistaken about this.

Jac@stafford.net
6-May-2013, 13:29
You might need a cable release with an appropiate end so that it clicks into place securely. Releases do vary in design.

Scroll down the following page for a good explanation.

http://www.johndesq.com/graflex/rapidklemm.htm

Bob Salomon
6-May-2013, 16:09
The lens fits in the board just fine... And the Shutter release is lined up perfectly to trip the shutter.
It works fine, but the cable release "pops" out of the holder, which led me to believe a part was missing.

The shutter says "Linhof" on the front (not the board, but the shutter) so I think you may be mistaken about this.

Linhof tested lenses in older Compur shutters had the Linhof logo on the shutter. That has nothing to do with the board.
As I told you earlier, you are missing the correct PC contact so that lens and shutter were remounted in the board at some time. And you are correct, you are missing parts. But that is a service center matter and I can not remember seeing those parts for that old a system when we did the parts inventory last month. But you can send it to service to see.

Bob Salomon
6-May-2013, 16:12
You might need a cable release with an appropiate end so that it clicks into place securely. Releases do vary in design.

Scroll down the following page for a good explanation.

http://www.johndesq.com/graflex/rapidklemm.htm

As I told him earlier in this thread, the Cable Release Nipple is 041066 and is available from the service center.

As an added point, it works best on a Linhof cable release. Linhof does make one with no threads and the nipple built-in or you can use a regular Linhof cable release and add the nipple.

SpeedGraphicMan
10-May-2013, 11:20
I got it working!
Works great now! Thanks all!

Jac@stafford.net
10-May-2013, 14:34
I got it working!
Works great now! Thanks all!

Should have told you that all you needed to do was wrap a 1/16" piece of Gaffers tape around the end of the release .., but I did not want to annoy our greatest contributor of All Things Linhof. Sincerely, he is total gold. 😁