PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Fixing Front Tilt on a Master Technika

Brian Ellis
8-Jun-2004, 20:28
I know that this is a long shot but I thought I'd ask anyhow. The front standard on my Master Technika won't tilt. When I unlock the left hand knob and push in the right hand knob the front standard still won't tilt forward or backward, it's just stuck in neutral. I'm guessing that the little pin that protrudes from the right hand side of the standard and that is supposed to be released by pushing the right hand knob has gotten stuck in place from non-use but that's just a guess. If anyone has any other ideas as to the cause of the problem, and better yet any suggestions for fixing it, I'd appreciate hearing them before I send it off to Marflex.

Bob Salomon
8-Jun-2004, 21:17
Call Martin and talk to him. He will help you if it is possible. 973 808-9626

Brian Ellis
9-Jun-2004, 04:33
Thanks Bob, I already tried that. He didn't have any ideas, suggested I send it in, which I'll likely do.

Bill_1856
9-Jun-2004, 07:48
Brian, I had a close look at my Technika IV (which I presume is like your Master). The tilting lock mechanism is astoundingly complicated for such a simple function. The detent for centering the thing is a little spring loaded ball bearing. If you can push the releasing mechanism (right hand knob) all the way in, there's no way it can fail to release. Therefore, it has to be the brake mechanism on the left side that's stuck. I'd try a drop of WD-40 and wiggle the hell out of the thing -- it can't hurt. If you'd like me to bring my Technika up to Tampa for you to see how it is set up, I'll be happy to. Bill

Hans Berkhout
9-Jun-2004, 12:59
Brian, didn't you switch from Linhof to Ebony? I thought you didn't like the Technika type cameras, especially the back. (and now it's the font!). I'm always interested hearing the pros and cons of LF gear. Good luck.

Brian Ellis
10-Jun-2004, 09:09
Hi Hans - Yes, I made the mistake of seeking the perfect camera. The Ebony wasn't it for me so I sold it and now am back where I was for many years and should have stayed in the first place, with a Technika. Not that the Ebony wasn't an excellent camera, it was, I just didn't enjoy using it as much as the Technika. But thanks for your interest, it's always nice (though occasionally a little unsettling) to see that my friends here are keeping a close watch on me as I publicly proclaim my various camera choices/mistakes. : - )

Frank Petronio
10-Jun-2004, 09:17
I smell an Arca next - at least that seems to be the progression...