PDA

View Full Version : Archaic/Proto Euryscope - Part 2 Wide-Angled type

Steven Tribe
2-May-2013, 03:02
There is a previous thread which gives a lot of information about the Portrait types made approximately between 20,000 and 31,000 which are not engraved with the Euryskop trademark. These are the Aplanats which became series IV, VI etc.

It appears now that Voigtländer also produced a wide-angled Euryskop during this period. Again, with no Euryskop engraving. Unlike the Portrait types, there appears to be only one type, which is identical to the later Series VII.

This lens has been described by the best source ( Claus Prochnow, Voigtländer report 3, 2007) as being a second version of the licensed Periskop (2 tiny simple meniscii) from Steinheil, but without mention of Steinheil in the engraving. Breker had sold the no. 3 sometime and this was shown in the book. A typical serial number for the Steinheil made by Voigtländer was 17832. The later version was a 27449, which should have rung alarm bells!

Anyway, a size 0 was sold last week on that site. Seller described it as a wide angled Euryskop, whilst I suggested it was version 2 of the Steinheil licenced lens! The buyer (Geoff_5995) was convinced it was indeed what the seller thought it was. Yes, I had noticed the yellow/brown edge ring that looked a lot like slight separation but could have ben something else.

The only wide angled Euryskop with the 0 size is the series VII, so I exchanged lens diameter, focal length data with Geoff and it matches completely with this unmarked Euryskop. Note the serial number 24,138 is the middle of the Euryskop development period.

I suppose the only reason for the assumption that this type of lens is the Periskop is the similarity in engraving on the front ring.
Thanks to Geoffrey for the images.

Amedeus
2-May-2013, 14:27
Thanks for sharing Steven ... most interesting to read about this development and the history around it !

Jody_S
2-May-2013, 15:37
Thanks, I was watching that auction but it went over what I was prepared to pay. I'm feeling better now about having a low-ish maximum.

Geoffrey_5995
2-May-2013, 21:32
Thanks Steven for sharing this important information. I have learned the hard way that it's all about the configuration of the glass. I was hoping it was a late Periskop but from the pics provided by the seller was convinced it was not. But...you have educated all of us that this is indeed an interesting and rare pre-"Euryscop" wide angle Euryscop and have certainly contributed to my knowledge.

Geoffrey

Tim Deming
3-May-2013, 08:06
Geoffrey or Steven,

Can you let us know the focal length and f value for this lens? The "Series VII" euryscops were made in a few different forms, the last being f12.5. It would be nice to know where this lens fits in.

Also, another example of a "late periskop" is of course the infamous Voigtlander "WZ" lens (18cm, f9)!

cheers

Tim

Geoffrey_5995
3-May-2013, 11:33
Hi Tim,

There is a thread on this forum that discusses true Periskopic lenses that are 1+1 such as the WZ. Not sure I would characterize it as a late version of the original Periskop but it is an interesting way to look at it. Steven would be the better person to discuss the pre-Euryscop and how it fits in within the framework of the history if Voigt Euryscops.

G

Geoffrey or Steven,

Can you let us know the focal length and f value for this lens? The "Series VII" euryscops were made in a few different forms, the last being f12.5. It would be nice to know where this lens fits in.

Also, another example of a "late periskop" is of course the infamous Voigtlander "WZ" lens (18cm, f9)!

cheers

Tim

Steven Tribe
3-May-2013, 11:49
It looks like the pre euryskop WA series VII had 2 versions. I have located a 30,xxx serial number "barrel engraved" rather than "front rim" size 2, and which I am attempting to "get hold of".

Tim Deming
3-May-2013, 13:47
Hi guys,

I put "late periscope" in quotes since the WZ was of course designed for a completely different purpose. The similarity is in the construction.

So, back to my question, this No. 0 wide-angle pre-euryscop has the dimensions of 8/16" lens diameter and f11 (this would match with #s from Prochnow's book for a no. 0 WA euryscop)?

I'm curious to know and I understood that one of you actually has the lens

Cheers

Tim

Tim Deming
3-May-2013, 14:04
Hi Steven,

By the way, the other "pre WA euryscop" in Prochnow's book is not #27449. The text is a bit misleading the way it's laid out, but If you look at the picture of the lens, and the text above the lens, you can see it is actually #24248. Only 110 different from the one that's just surfaced. As typical, these lens types were likely made together in a batch run.

Cheers

Tim

Steven Tribe
3-May-2013, 15:33
Geoff is the owner and I sent him the listed specs for the size 0 series and he confirmed that the glass diameter matched perfectly - I believe he also checked the other data (focal length).

I gave up guessing the illustrated number in Prochnow and then saw the number was given in the text!

Steven Tribe
18-Jan-2021, 13:11
I have been patiently waiting for more contributions for many years - in vain!

Even D’Agostini’s very long list of identified Voigtlanders up to around 30,000 doesn’t produce any likely wide angle lenses.

But to-day I got hold of one.

Labeled as size 5 and with the serial 28,199. It looks like the later series V - a mild wide angle (80 deg) as fast as F6.

Will report back when I have it in my sweaty hands.

Tin Can
18-Jan-2021, 13:33
Congratulations!

Do only collect and restore or do you use them as well?

Just curious

Steven Tribe
18-Jan-2021, 14:31
My experience is the larger the format and the greater number of cameras/lenses one owns -the smaller the annual production of negatives and time spent in the dark room.
I fortunately called a halt at 15x12” and 30x40cm so I still make images from time to time!

If this is the no.5 series V, then it covers 20x24”.
If it is the no.5 series VII, then it still covers 14x18”.
In either case, it will be finding another home when I am finished with the forensics!

Tin Can
18-Jan-2021, 15:01
Very good answer!

Thank you

I do the same

my iPhone gets the most action

Steven Tribe
25-Jan-2021, 07:50
So, the first wide-angled Euryscopes were in fact Series VII.

My new no. 5, 28,199 without the later Series number engravings, matches the data for for the number 5 below.
Sizes up to 4 had rotary stops, whilst 5 and above had ordinary Waterhouse stops.