PDA

View Full Version : point of confusion re: Super Graphic vs Speed Graphic viewers

dimento
30-Apr-2013, 00:40
Hi guys, I'm trying to clear up a point of confusion about monocular viewers for the speed vs super graphic.

I was told recently that a full cambo groundglass back and monocular viewer could be attached to speed graphic back by removing the entire speed back, I assumed the same was the case on the Super Graphic.

My confusion is this, are the graflok backs on both speed and super the same in terms of fittings size etc? I have a sinar F1 and tried to fit the ground-glass back to the Super as I assumed (incorrectly) that graflok fitting = graflok fitting on both. Is sinar a unique case?

If I buy a cambo groundglass back and monocular viewer will the groundglass back fit both super & speed or just speed. I was assured it would do so without modification.

Secondly, I just bought a wista 45 D and was wondering if there is any generic binocular or monocular reflex hood solution?

Helpful replies appreciated

Dan Fromm
30-Apr-2013, 03:02
I have a Cambo SC, am a little familiar with Graphics. I don't see how a Cambo back can be attached to a Graphic. The Cambo back is a modified board, attaches to a Cambo standard's carrier frame. It has no holes for the screws used to attach a Graphic's back to a Graphic.

I also have a Cambo monocular viewer. Two, in fact, one each in-line and reflex. They attach to a Cambo graflok's focusing panel with the help of a fixed and a sliding tab. Graphics' graflok focusing panels don't have these tabs.

The camera backs don't interchange and neither do the focusing panels.

If I'm not mistaken, you have been misinformed.

Thebes
30-Apr-2013, 23:10
With the Super Graphic, the Cambo focusing screen assembly fits on the Super Graphic's graflok back if you remove it's focusing screen assembly as if to fit a graflok accessory. The hooks go on and it works fine.
The cambo screen then accepts Cambo viewing accessories, like the reflex or monocular finders.
It requires the Cambo back that is reversible, not the one which rotates while on the camera. This set up does not use the camera side of that Cambo back, just the focusing screen side.

Dan Fromm
1-May-2013, 03:30
With the Super Graphic, the Cambo focusing screen assembly fits on the Super Graphic's graflok back if you remove it's focusing screen assembly as if to fit a graflok accessory. The hooks go on and it works fine.
The cambo screen then accepts Cambo viewing accessories, like the reflex or monocular finders.
It requires the Cambo back that is reversible, not the one which rotates while on the camera. This set up does not use the camera side of that Cambo back, just the focusing screen side.Interesting. I looked around, found a 4x5 Graflex made Graflok back, couldn't get the Cambo focusing panel (from a Cambo reversible back) to attach. Perhaps I did something wrong.

dimento
1-May-2013, 06:04
thanks for the info guys, appreciate it, still mulling over what to do, @thebes would the same setup fit the Speed Graphic with Graflok back? and it's safe to assume it wouldn't fit a Sinar, thanks

anglophone1
1-May-2013, 06:16
Google David Burnett - he uses a Speed /Aero with a cambo reflex viewer on back- there's a video somehere....
C

Thebes
1-May-2013, 08:49
Dan---
I've only done this on my Super Graphic. I am not sure that this will work on a Speed or Crown graphic even if it has the Graflok back. I think the Super's back is different.

I just got out of the hospital yesterday, when I'm feeling up to it I will try to get some pictures of it up.
I know there are some pics of the setup on apug from another user there who posted them a few years ago.

dimento
1-May-2013, 11:02
Dan---
I've only done this on my Super Graphic. I am not sure that this will work on a Speed or Crown graphic even if it has the Graflok back. I think the Super's back is different.

I just got out of the hospital yesterday, when I'm feeling up to it I will try to get some pictures of it up.
I know there are some pics of the setup on apug from another user there who posted them a few years ago.

Hi Thbes, I troed to send you a MP but your inbox is full, cheers, D

dimento
1-May-2013, 11:27
Google David Burnett - he uses a Speed /Aero with a cambo reflex viewer on back- there's a video somehere....
C

thanks Clive, think I've seen it, pretty sure his one was modified as he uses a side-rangefinder speed (which may not have graflok back-although I guess it depends)

anglophone1
2-May-2013, 13:14
thanks Clive, think I've seen it, pretty sure his one was modified as he uses a side-rangefinder speed (which may not have graflok back-although I guess it depends)

My pacemaker speed has side RF and a graflok back same spec as DB (have discussed in person will explain when we meet) depends on year etc., anniversary speed always has spring back I think ( if I'm wrong on that then right info will turn up soon)
Anyhow it's clearly the graflok that counts, so your Super should be OK.....